It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone, I've been on subtex for 4 months and want to come off! I am prescribed 1.2mg subutex having come down from 6mg initially. I Started tapering myself in the early stages as I found 6mg way too much. 2mg was a comfortable dose. Last week I decided to drop to 1mg and did this for a few days. Since Saturday I am now on 0.8mg, taking 0.4 in am and 0.4mg in PM. Apart from craving more subutex and feeling anxious, I fortunately haven't had any proper tapering wd's. When I m ready to jump, which hopefully will be in next 2 weeks and at 0.2 or less, the clinic will give me a 'rattle bag' which is apparently Valium plus some sleeping tablets, I think it will be about 1 weeks worth. My question I have is should I strta taking some Valium now to help with the tapering?

I've read so many scare stories in my early days when I tried to figure out what subs were which really panicked me. Now I realise I'm in charge of my own destiny and a lot of those scare stories were from People that dropped from 2mg to nothing, so I know I'm in a better position. My thinking is that if I keep dropping and deal with any bits of discomfort along the way, there will be less discomfort when I finally jump off. The reason I ask about taking something for my anxiety is that the clinic will not prescribe me anything until I'm ready to jump off but I feel like I need to have something now just to take the edge off this anxiety and the thoughts at the back of my mind, worrying about what potentially may be in store when I jump off.

really would appreciate any advice on this. Thank so much for taking time to read this !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 pm 

Hello Squire,
Wanted to welcome you here. You should find answers to your questions at this forum.I feel were the best overall.

Sounds like your a stroug person who is at the end of sub treatment. Thoses scary stories can be frighting,but everyone seems to be different when it comes to sub tapering and jumping.
I am not a jumper . I have read many who have and it seems the lower the better over a loug period of time is best. Just as you are doing.
Hats off to you Squire!
So your provider will Not give you valum now. Have you thought of jumping sooner or just asking for it now? How bad is this anxiety ? Im not experienced with benzos. I do know for some it is a must in dealing with moderate WD. Sorry I cant give you better answers here. But what ive read mostly when jumping is that it is best to keep benzos in the "bullpen" persay for when or if they are needed during the jump process.
Ive read this quite abit here now and again.. .

Again congratulations on your taper. Im sure others will see this and come aloug with an opinion. .

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks Razor, really appreciate your taking time to read my post. I called them before when I was going through a particularly anxious moment but they suggested riding it out. I was on Valium when I started the programme and tapered off, so I guess they are not wanting me to go back there again. They have said I will get a 'rattle pack' when I am at the point of jumping off, so I guess in a way it's best I try and leave them until I'm at the point of jumping off. A rattle pack I understand is some Valium, sleeping pills and blood pressure tablets which should last about a week.

anyways I just want to get off these as quickly as possible with hopefully as little unpleasantness as possible. Am dropping to 0.6 tomorrow which I'm looking forward to as I plan on 0.2 three times in the day. Weirdly in my mind this is going to be easier than 0.8 as I'm dosing 3 times a day rather than 0.4 twice a day, if that makes sense?? I think a lot of this is mindset and pushing through those moments of anxiety or cravings to take more. My thinking is that if I deal with little bits of discomfort along the way down, there will be less to deal with when I finally cone off.

How did you get off or are you still on? Did you taper right down or ...?

Appreciate your opinions.

Cheers

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm 

Oh..ok, so you were on Valum before. Uno, you nailed it and said it yourself. Just keep pushing
though it till the end . You can do it.
Do you have a recovery plan of any kind in place? Accountability to a group or peer support? Were always
wanting to know how others go about staying stopped off opiates after sub treatment.

Ive tapered down over the last couple of years, but im a loug term subber with peer support. Cant have enough of that!!
But , no, not down to the doses you ve gotten to Squire J!!
That rattle bag your provider will give you is very generous. Lucky for you. I would have to go outside my clinic to even get the BP med...and i Have high blood pressure! Haha...anyway...one day at a time no matter how we are doing it..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi razor, you're doing well staying on the sub, Theres no point pushing things if you not ready, especially when there are far worse substances to be on....

I don't have,anything in place for after I stop. I was initially up for some of the meetings they have suggested AA, NA, CA and SMART recovery groups. I have yet to go to any nor do I have plans for when I'm off the sub. This could be a cause for concern as whilst I'm happily reducing my doses, there will come a point when I'm clean, that I'm feeling rough, the withdrawals have dissipated, but I feel crap and there is a concern what do I have in place to deal with them..... I don't know .... I probably should have something as the risk is all too real and it would be such a waste of time , effort and pain to get through this and then think I can get away with the odd use here and there as a pick me up.

I have a supportive partner, who is also encouraging me to use the clinics services and meetings, but I'm not sure what I can gain from it . Years ago I went to CA when coke was an issue for me, I quit that and lo and behind seating messing around with opiates, hence my current situation .... Whist I got off the coke I never really connected with the programme. The people were nice, but it just didn't feel right, plus was a pretty dark time for me and I never found the happiness of going to meetings. I do have a faith albeit not as practising as it should be, and I know in moments to come I willl be using hat as much as possible, but I agree I DO need to have something else, not just forums, where I can go to talk or to listen and not let any thoughts which crop up in my head turn into actions ..... I have already been having these ..... You know the ones ..... ' if I just get through the first 3 days off subs, maybe then I can take an oxy or some tramadol just to lift my spirits' .... Ok so I have no plans on acting on this but having some accountability towards peers, does bring it home and puts things into perspective. I have a session with my clinic this Thursday, your post has reminded me, I need the practical support afterwards ... They can help with pointing me in the direction of s suitable network ...

Really appreciate your time thank you Razor