It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I am currently prescribed the 8mg tablets and am breaking them into quarters for a 2mg dose. However, I know that the dose is always inconsistent. It is almost impossible to get them to break evenly. I would like to make sure that my doses are consistent. Is there a better way than just breaking them? They are so crumbly and hard to work with. TIA!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Check out the thread about the liquid taper method. Are you trying to taper lower or just trying to stay on a 2mg dose? I would probably try to check into getting on the strips or the smaller dose tablet if you can. Those 8mg pills are definitely difficult to cut accurately, there are much easier products on the market to work with now.

We have also seen someone recently post about crushing the pills and weighing them with a digital scale. I think the members name is Bad Kitty. She reports having good results with getting accurate doses using this method.

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Steph Jaw,

Yup, I was having the exact same issue; trying to break the tablets into consistent doses. I bought a scale, this one actually: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GE ... B0012TDNAM

It as about $25 and it's the best $25 I've ever spent. I can now accurately weigh my doses using the total weight of an 8mg pill, then divide according to my current dose and the 10% decreases. I'm horrible at math, so if I can do it, you can do it. The scale has allowed me to accurately weigh and drop my doses once or twice a week, depending on how I'm feeling, etc. I'm now below 2mg and I seriously don't think I'd be this low if I hadn't bought the scale; it's been a lifesaver from the awful WD roller coaster that results from inaccurate doses. It's just too difficult when you get to lower doses if you aren't able to accurately take the exact amount you need, no more or less.

I've determined that I'll need to use the liquid method once I get below about .8mg though. The scale I bought doesn't weigh those tiny micro amounts (and from what I've read, even using the strips at small amounts can be very challenging if you want to get down to doses of .01, etc. before you jump). I searched the web and did a lot of research on scales that weigh lower, but I could only find micro scales that cost upwards of $900, which isn't an option for me. Plus, the $25 I spent is allowing me to accurately plan my taper and get to below 1mg without unexpected WDs, which to me, is waaaaay worth $25! I highly suggest it.

Good luck and please let me know if I can help you!

Oh and I forgot to add: I don't crush the pills. Don't do that, it makes it more difficult to weigh them. I just cut them up with a sharp knife, then I weigh the little chunks and add more or less smaller chunks/cut more small chunks if I need to in order to create an accurate dose. To obtain the dose you need, just use the little tweezers that come with the scale to add or remove the small chunks.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bad Kitty,

Thanks so much for correcting my mistake about crushing the pills! I'm glad you caught it and posted the correct information. :D

Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am on the tablets too, as that's what my insurance covers, unfortunately. I figure that once I get down to a SUPER low dose, it'll be worth it to spend the money on the strips, considering I won't need that many. Depending on what your finances look like, it definitely would be worth it IMO. They have some good coupons out for the strips, too.

Just something to think about.

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll