It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Tapering?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can't help noticing that several people are experiencing difficulty reducing or tapering their dose. Here in the UK suboxone comes in three sizes: 8 mg hexagonal tablet, similar to the one at the top of the page only white rather than orange, 2 mg same shape but much smaller, and a 0.2 mg tab which is tiny.These obviously make it much easier to tailor one's dose and reduce it accurately, rather than breaking bits off tablets and trying to guess how much is still left. The old subutex tablets came in the same dosages, just oval in shape. Both subutex and suboxone are manufactured by Schering-Plough for the UK market. There is also a generic 8 mg tab which is round and much smaller than the SP product, but I can't recall who makes it as I haven't seen one since April 2009.
I have also heard of people reducing their doses by microgram amounts, this is fine in theory but surely there is an obvious drawback to this viz. when you get down to a real minute amount it must be almost like taking grains of sand. I guess you have to suffer a little if you want to be totally clean, but I wouldnt mind a little suffering. Is suboxone withdrawal as bad or worse than coming off heroin? I tried so many times to do the cold rattle, but by the third day I would always be a complete wreck and could never make it past that as the comedowns were crucifying in their intensity. I would always cave in and score by day 3. I can't imagine anything being as painful as that, but obviously suboxone withdrawal is something I have yet to experience fully.
Is there a smaller tablet made in the US, or are you limited to the 8 mg size? What would it take for the smaller dosages to be made available to you guys over there? I'm starting to think that we are very fortunate here, we don't even have to pay for our medication in most cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

2mg is the smallest tablet we have in the US. We should have the same choices as you the UK. It would make it easier for tapering here. I believe, given more time... our US dr's will understand and accept the pain mgt properties of bupe which will probably motivate the mfg to expand the dosing options. it all comes down to money for them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the reply Suboxfreedom, I found out after posting that you do indeed have the 2 mg tabs in the US.
The thing about o, r 0.2 mg size is that although it's a low dose, the tablet itself contains enough filler for it to be a manageable size, so that even a quarter of one is still large enough to feel under the tongue. I have spoken to a couple of friends since yesterday and their doses were reduced by 0.2 mg every 2 weeks for tapering. They both said that they felt no real discomfort that way, so it seems like a very useful size to have. Such a pity that your pharmaceutical companies don't make them that small for American consumption.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sneaky:

I find it very interesting how different ya'll (yeehaw! lol) have it over there. Indeed I think we should have the same 0.2mg dose that is in the UK (and elsewhere?). Hopefully it is just a matter of time until they add it to the 8mg and 2mg lineup here in the U.S. and everywhere for that matter. Good luck and take care!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

please read my other post on this forum, ' suboxone alternatives for tapering?). There is another possible choice in the UK, and I think it's also available in the US