It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Tapering
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi all. So I have been tapering off Subs and plan on skipping days this coming Monday when I'm down to .5mg. I have clonodine so I am hoping it will help. I have been on Subs since November 2013 and prescribed a ridiculously high dose for a relatively small hydro habit; about 40mg per day. I have been steady at about 1mg for about the last month or so. Nobody (except my doc) knows what I am going through, so just thought I would reach out and get some feedback/support during my taper, and especially when I jump off in about a week. I have enough Subs to taper and jump as long as I stay on a strict schedule with it. I DO NOT want to go back to the doc more. Anyways, some thoughts and/or experiences with tapering is appreciated! By the way, I have been attempting to exercise on a regular basis, bought all the vitamins: L-Tyrosine, multi-vitamin, B-6, Passionflower, etc., and started taking them now.

Post subject: Re: Tapering
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you're doing everything right, but you may find it hard to skip days when you lower your dose to .5mg.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for response. And yes, I know I'm doing everything right; now it's just a matter of sticking to it! I'm actually under pressure for time because I have some other medical procedures coming up, but above all else, just want my life back! This is not my first rodeo, and have had multiple years of clean time in the past, and beat myself up a lot for getting back to this point. I don't feel great, but the clonodine works wonders for me at night when I can't relax/sleep. I don't want to take the clonidine during the day until I actually skip days/jump. Thanks for commenting. I saw that you have been off Subs for a few years and I commend you for still taking the time to come on here and give support to people trying to take back their lives!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a good idea to hold off on the Clonidine during the day until you jump or skip days, it will have the most impact on your wd symptoms that way.

Let us know how things go when you start skipping days.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So, I'm officially on day 2 of .5mg, and feel okay. I do have comfort meds (clonodine and xanax) which I take sparingly if needed, for now. Well, I needed them today! What I'm feeling is a lot of anxiety (which I knew was coming) and my stomach is cramping a lot. Are there any specific meds out there that people used for stomach upset, something that's not Imodium because that is not necessary at this point? Otherwise, I have been taking all my vitamins and eating fairly well. I know this won't lessen the withdrawal symptoms, but will help my body and cells recover quicker. Anyway, going to hope for some solid sleep and get some exercise first thing in the morning. The worst symptom I'm feeling right now is lethargy; I just don't feel like doing ANYTHING! However, I know it will pass as long as I keep doing what I'm doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Today is day 4 at .5mg!!! Even though I didn't feel good today, starting about 5 hours after I took my 1st .25 dose, it is still a huge accomplishment. However, the battle in my head right now is "just take one more .25". I don't want to f-up the progress I've made so far so I just took a little more clonodine, and trying to stay positive. Was going to try to skip days starting tomorrow, but now I think I'm going to try and alternate .25 & .5 for a few days before I start skipping. I just keep reminding myself that this is NOTHING compared to detoxes I'v done in the past! I can still function just fine, I just don't feel great doing it. Also, the emotional stuff started kicking in today as well. I keep beating myself up, feeling guilty I'm back in this predicament, etc. But I know that's just my addict brain trying to make me feel shittier than I already do so I will just take more. No matter what, I have successfully tapered down to .5mg for 4 days now, and am keeping very good track of my progress: I have a pillbox and a calendar to write down exactly what time I dose and how much. I just thought today was going to be easier because yesterday my 2nd dose was .25 at 315pm, and didn't take my first dose of .25 til this morning at 7am, which is about 17 hours and woke up feeling pretty good. I guess it's the half-life, and the Subs getting out of my body, which I should be grateful for!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:04 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

great work, every drop is a great milestone, :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks db. Today I took my 1st .25mg at about 645am, and then took 1/2 xanax & 1/2 clonodine to try & "combat" any w/d symptoms before they start, or at least have it in my system. Yesterday I took .5 and started feeling gross only about 5 or 6 hours later, which is when I took my 2nd .25 dose, and still didn't feel much better. However, right now I feel surprising well, and am going to only take a .125 if it starts to be too much to handle later. I stayed at .5 for 4 days, and prior to that, .75 for 5 days, so I feel like I'm right on track. You've been off for a little bit, right? How was the jump, and how low did you taper til you jumped? Did you skip any days? Just curious...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Great work Mama!!! I'm proud of you- keep it up!
XX
rca

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks rca. So yesterday I successfully stayed at .375 & going for the same today. What I'm starting to experience now, emotionally & psychologically, is that I don't have that relentless fear & panic every time I reduce my dose now. The anticipation, or just thinking about it, used to almost give me an anxiety attack. Now, when I start feeling funky I take 1/2 clonodine (want start tapering off those too) & just tell myself that I'm getting better, and this is the price I have to pay. On that note, I just want to say that I have paid some severe prices as a result of my addiction in the past and I thank God that my biggest consequence now is just not feeling that well. I am truly grateful & blessed for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You sound like you're doing really well and you have a good attitude about it, keep it up!!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mama79 wrote:
Are there any specific meds out there that people used for stomach upset, something that's not Imodium because that is not necessary at this point?

Wish I'd seen this sooner. I ordered Phenegram off the Internet before I jumped. Same with Clonodine. Found a cheap source so I didn't have to mess with going to the doctor and having "addict" in my insurance records (I didn't get subs from a doc either, its a long story, explained in beginning of the thread I started). Phenegram is OTC in some countries but not the US. A pretty good substitute for nausea tho, if you can't get Phenegram, is Dramamine; even tho its marketed for motion sickness, it will help with withdrawal nausea.

Really, seems like at times, one needs to throw everything one can at the belly aches. Pepto Bismol has helped me at times. Also, probiotic (aka 'friendly' intestinal flora/bacteria) foods and beverages like yogurt, kefir, kombucha tea, etc, seem to help.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks noboop. I've bought everything from mylanta to homeopathic stuff for my stomach. Today is day 2 at .375 & was feeling really good until early this evening. Started getting the skin crawls, goosebumps, yawns, etc, even after my 2nd dose. I think I took twice the comfort meds today, but that's what they're there for, right! I'm getting to the downhill slope & no matter what I feel physically, I'm making progress and strictly adhering to my plan no matter what. Maybe tomorrow will be better after I get a little sleep.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just wanted to do another check in before I call it a night. I really wasn't feeling great this afternoon & over did it with the comfort meds, which put me in a complete fog. It's really weird how I'll be feeling great and then suddenly feel like shit. It's not like the symptoms creep up on me. Does/did anyone else experience that? However, I will take a partial good day over the nonstop and unforgiving hell I've gone through with other opiates. I need to keep saying that "out loud" to really be grateful that my situation isn't that bad to where I completely ruined my life and have nowhere to turn, and my detox hasn't left me completely debilitated for at least a week. I'm also grateful that I'm starting to feel again. My emotions are kind of all over the place, but at least I'm experiencing them! So looking forward to the day when I can wake up and go straight for the coffee & not my bedside drawer!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mama79 wrote:
Just wanted to do another check in before I call it a night. I really wasn't feeling great this afternoon & over did it with the comfort meds, which put me in a complete fog. It's really weird how I'll be feeling great and then suddenly feel like shit. It's not like the symptoms creep up on me. Does/did anyone else experience that? However, I will take a partial good day over the nonstop and unforgiving hell I've gone through with other opiates. I need to keep saying that "out loud" to really be grateful that my situation isn't that bad to where I completely ruined my life and have nowhere to turn, and my detox hasn't left me completely debilitated for at least a week. I'm also grateful that I'm starting to feel again. My emotions are kind of all over the place, but at least I'm experiencing them! So looking forward to the day when I can wake up and go straight for the coffee & not my bedside drawer!

I know what you mean about the comfort meds. Its hard sometimes getting it just right, cuz the withdrawals and different symptoms thereof, vary in intensity from day to day, or during course of a single day. 2 clonodines, or 1? Or a half? And so on with the other comfort meds. Next thing ya know, you're falling off the sofa and crawling to the bathroom while squeezing your cheeks hard, because the brain fog made you forget to take the Imodium. :?

You sound like you're doing really good. Heh, bedside drawer. That's keeping the goods close at hand! Even though my subs were semi-hidden in kitchen, it didn't take me long to get at them after my eyes popped open in the morning :P Then laying on sofa 15-20 minutes til I felt human. Then it was coffee time :) I've actually cut back on coffee quite a bit while withdrawing, since it seems hard on stomach right now, and can add to anxiety symptoms. Somedays I haven't had any coffee since stopping sub, but had some green tea when I had what I think was a caffeine withdrawal headache to go along with the sub withdrawals.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:00 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for response! Ya, getting it just right with the meds is kind of tough since I've been dropping pretty quick: 4 days at .5, & today will be day 3 of .375. Thanks for bringing up the coffee thing. It didn't even occur to me that that's probably where these dull headaches are coming from. I've been drinking only 1 cup in morning, sometimes tea, whereas before I was averaging about 3 cups a day because my schedule was so hectic. I've been getting regular headaches and just assumed it was all part of the taper.

Are you still tapering now? Sorry, haven't read any other of your posts except the ones on my thread. Or, have you been off for a while?

So lesson learned: take the meds the same way I have been, & feeling SOME pain is part of the process! Otherwise, everyone would just come off no problem, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:39 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

no_boop_shoo_be_doop wrote:
mama79 wrote:
Are there any specific meds out there that people used for stomach upset, something that's not Imodium because that is not necessary at this point?

Wish I'd seen this sooner. I ordered Phenegram off the Internet before I jumped. Same with Clonodine. Found a cheap source so I didn't have to mess with going to the doctor and having "addict" in my insurance records (I didn't get subs from a doc either, its a long story, explained in beginning of the thread I started). Phenegram is OTC in some countries but not the US. A pretty good substitute for nausea tho, if you can't get Phenegram, is Dramamine; even tho its marketed for motion sickness, it will help with withdrawal nausea.

Really, seems like at times, one needs to throw everything one can at the belly aches. Pepto Bismol has helped me at times. Also, probiotic (aka 'friendly' intestinal flora/bacteria) foods and beverages like yogurt, kefir, kombucha tea, etc, seem to help.

I cant stress what was said there enough. I did the same thing but not the phenegan and wish I would have. you can do this its like I saw romeo post before, what are you going to let you mind tell you. I would at least get the clonidine it does help, its a weird way but it helps. You can buy them online without a script but it is expensive and It may take you a month to get them if not 6 weeks. I wish I had known before about the Phenergan but I am way past that now I think. I jumped at .3. I had 7-9 days of hard time, not too bad at all though, every day was a bit better, I am still plagued with lethargy, but I may have that a while and choose not to dwell. that's the mind set!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:48 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mama79 wrote:

That's the way it is, you got it, not too bad, Positive mental attitude!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks db, & huge congrats on your jump! I do have clonodine, which has helped a bunch! I'm lucky that my suboxone doc is very sympathetic when it comes to tapering and detoxing and prescribed them to me. You jumped at .3? I am at .375 (day 3) and holding on okay. Last night was kind of rough, but nothing unbearable. What I want to do from here is hang at .375 through the long holiday weekend, then drop to .25 for a few days, then be done with it. Wow, I can see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel"! It seemed nearly impossible just a couple months ago. I started to notice that I will go an hour or two without thinking about subs, feeling shitty, tapering, jumping, etc. That is another milestone since all I did all day befopre was trip on this taper.

I will post an update tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Another update: so I didn't stay at .375, I took another .125 to total .5 for the day. Was kind of bummed at myself, but all I can do is try again tomorrow. Today was just a really long busy day from start to finish & needed to be able to function through it all. Not that big of a deal. Tomorrow's a new day & I will just start back again. Altogether I think it's still progress going 2 days at .375 & just 1 day back up at .5. At least I didn't exceed the last dose that I was trying to lower from. More tomorrow...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next