It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tapering
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

mama79 wrote:
Just thought I'd check in for an update. I have been pretty steady at .375 today: .125 + 1 clonodine at about 1230am (woke up wide awake), then .25 at 10am. I was looking over my "taper calendar" and I saw that I have not exceeded 1mg since the 14th. I've been all over the place since then, .75 couple times, .5 for 4 or 5 days, .375, .625, etc., so I am glad about that. However, the clock is still ticking as I only have a short window to make this jump, and a little one to take care of, so it has to be done pretty quick. I know that it's ideal to do a very slow taper and stabilize at each dose, I just don't have the time, and that's okay. I have been doing well between .375 & .5, so that's where I'll stay through next Tues (I most likely have to work now on Monday). I know I won't feel good but there are some success stories that I've been following on this forum and I know it's possible. I have meds, and lots of family around to help with my kiddo if I suddenly come down with the flu! :mrgreen: Anyways, today was much better than yesterday. I was thinking today about a very close family member that I lost to cancer, and how I watched him day by day live with constant pain, even with hardcore painkillers. Then I was thinking about anyone else living with chronic pain, and I think to myself that I need to be grateful because the discomfort I'm experiencing isn't all that bad, it's not going to kill me, and I know that I will heal one day. There are lots of people out there who can't say the same.

Congrats on not exceeding ,75mg since the 14th! That is huge!! And you are so right, we must keep an attitude of gratitude...things could be worse!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello mama 79,

I don't generally chime in on the stopping Suboxone section mainly because I'm nowhere near even thinking of that option but mostly because I feel I don't have much to contribute, but as I read this one, it just felt so optimistic and positive that I wanted to say that even though I don't usually comment I root for all who have this goal in mind and found this post particularly up lifting and positive. thanks for sharing. it really does help to post... sometimes not just the poster but the reader as well! it gives hope! :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for commenting, lizzie. Please share, no matter where you're at, or what your plans are with the subs. They have been a great help in my life, and now it's time for me to move on. That's the only difference! It's important to reach out to people no matter what, and I'm glad you got something out of my post! Sometimes I need to "say it out loud" in order to fully believe and feel it, ya know! Keep me posted on your journey as well!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So here is my morning check-in: I went 13 hours between doses and slept soundly last night, with the help of clonidine, of course! The few nights before last were pretty rough even with the meds. I stayed at around .5 yesterday and going for same today. I'm heading for the gym this morning. I know I need to dedicate myself to some form of exercise everyday, which I should be doing anyway, even if I wasn't tapering! My favorite is yoga, but going to get some cardio in there as well. I am feeling a lot more optimistic today, like I was feeling about a week ago. I just had a string of not so great days but feel much better after some good sleep. My biggest downfall, and i think this is true for most addicts, is over-thinking this process. I keep racking my brain for the easiest way, and the "what-ifs", and blah, blah, blah. I had a pretty good mindset and attitude about a week ago, had a few bad days, now it's time for action again, and recognizing the positives.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Glad to hear you're going to get some cardio- that is dedication!! I feel pretty confident it will help you feel even better and stronger than you do now. Keep it up and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:38 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So I stayed at around .5 yesterday, & took a tiny little sliver around 2am because I couldn't sleep. Slept about 4 hours last nnight even with clonidine. I really don't feel that bad though, just tired. I was taking Xanax pretty regularly (about 1 a day) up until yesterday so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it too. I know I need to start tapering those as well, I don't want to have to rely on any meds to put me to sleep once this is all over. Maybe just the natural stuff. As I said I don't necessarily feel bad, just tired and out of it. Hopefully today will be okay. I may just do a short easy walk today because I took clonidine pretty late and still feeling a little off from no sleep. More later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It's been a few days since last check in so I thought I'd better post where I'm at. Well first of all, my "plan" is no longer my plan, as I was going to jump on the 1st. I was dropping big amounts quickly over the last 3 weeks which made me decide to stay at .5 a little while longer. I've been exercising pretty regularly and trying to eat well, which I believe is making a huge difference. My symptoms come and go, but aren't that bad, and I've been able to space my doses out anywhere from 9 - 19 hours. What I have really noticed lately is that I'm much more alert and starting to truly get excited about a life completely drug free again. I also laugh a lot more. I'm going to go for.375 today, and tomorrow .5, then Thur, Fri .375. But, if it's too much I will just take a tiny sliver to get me through. The hardest time I've had so far was dropping from .75 to .5, and now that Ivey been at .5 my stomach issues aren't nearly as bad, and I can get through my day without counting the hours til my next dose. I'm so glad I was easier on myself and didn't force a jump too soon. I still am pressed for time as far as my "window" to make the jump, but I'm going to continue to taper through the rest of this week and go for it next Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I realized I forgot to add something to the last post that has been a HUGE breakthrough for me. I no longer open my eyes and go straight for my dose. I get up, go have my one cup of coffee for the day, get some stuff done, & depending on how I feel I will dose either right before or right after I get my exercise in. I don't know about anyone else on here, but that is a frikkin milestone for me!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

mama79 wrote:
I realized I forgot to add something to the last post that has been a HUGE breakthrough for me. I no longer open my eyes and go straight for my dose. I get up, go have my one cup of coffee for the day, get some stuff done, & depending on how I feel I will dose either right before or right after I get my exercise in. I don't know about anyone else on here, but that is a frikkin milestone for me!!!!

Congratulations mama!! It is important to celebrate those milestones, and not just beat ourselves up when we are not "perfect according to plan". Keep doing what you are doing! The end is near! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is a HUGE milestone, mama!!! You should be super duper proud of yourself!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

great job :D, it all comes with hard work and determination. :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the kind words rca, Romeo , and db. I have stayed at .375 with very little issues today. I was going to go back to .5 tomorrow, but I will try for .375 again , but if it's too much to handle, I will have no problem going back up to .5 again, then trying for .375 the next day. At this point I feel I have stabilized at .5 and no matter what, I will not exceed that dose from here on out. I have heard of people jumping from .5 with minor withdrawal symptoms, & I've heard of people not being able to and had to drop lower before jumping. I will see how it goes day by day & just continue to do my best to lower as much as possible til I jump. It's kind of weird, but I've kind of gotten used to not feeling well at times. At first I would get one little ache, or that wave of heat, and start to panic like I was going to die! Now I just think to myself "okay, I feel like shit, it's part of the process". I do have help with the meds though. I'm sure it would be a lot different without them. Anyway, I feel so close to the end and I just remember to be grateful that I have the opportunity to have an easy taper and not have to go through cold turkey hell. So thanks to the people on this forum, and shout out to you, rca, as we have been going at about the same pace, and experienced the harder days around the same time as well. It's nice to have people on this journey with me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

mama79 wrote:
l. So thanks to the people on this forum, and shout out to you, rca, as we have been going at about the same pace, and experienced the harder days around the same time as well. It's nice to have people on this journey with me!

Right back at ya mama! :D I know we will keep helping each other through this, and it gives me hope, and even happiness! It sounds like you are really in the right frame of mind (I've found that is the most challenging part so far for me - keeping consistently strong and positive), and that is awesome that you have learned to "wait it out" when you get uncomfortable; "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger", and you are sounding super strong! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member who is tapering of bupe after 8 years of maintainance.. bear in mind that eng. is not my 1st language so sorry about any mistakes..just wanted to share my story and looking for some support and feel not so alone in all this..

So after 8 miserable yrs I finally feel strong and driven enough to taper of this stuff that has really made me a slave..just like most of us :) ..(in my country they don't really subscribe suboxone or subutex anymore..but buprenorphyne tablets)..I don't have to pay for it but am still a slave of the drug fro too long..it has changed me..got me to slowly dissocialize from my friends and life generally..I want to feel again..highs and lows..
I've been as high as 8mg for 2 yrs..last year i have spent on 3 to 4 mg.. and last moth finally decided to start tapering (got my doc to get me on 2mg tablets)..
I'am at 2 mg per day at the moment but find it quite difficult to take only 2 doses per day..I usually divided my doses into 3 and its become an issue..
When I do take 2 doses daily per 1mg i tend to wake up at around 4 at night with heart beating faster and no chance to continue sleeping, as if I missed a dose for the day and it makes me feel guilty as hell bcs it's the same dose that I'm taking yet a lot harder psychologically and physicaly to do.. I feel guilty bcs it feels like cheating myself..and it actually seems it would be easier to go to 1,5 mg daily (in 3 doses) than 2mg (in 2 doses daily)..looks like this is the harder part to get to only 2 doses daily..
.. anyway I am really driven to succeed this time so please share your advice and help..thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi fuser! Thanks for sharing your story with me! I am one of the few members (that I know of) that have not been on subs for years and years, actually about 7 months, and I was steady at about 1-2 mg the entire time. I have currently tapered down to .5, and .375 occasionally. I plan to jump completely on Monday. Do you have any comfort meds such as clonidine or anything for anxiety? Clonidine is non narcotic and a blood pressure medication that helps with the "skin crawls", restless legs, and insomnia. From what I have heard from the people on here who have been on fairly high doses long term is to taper small amounts, and slowly. When your withdrawal symptoms are minimal to none, then drop your dose again til your body adjusts.

You are welcome to check in with me any time, but I suggest you start your own thread with your own topic so others can see your posts and give you feedback. rca, who you can find above on my thread, has had a similar experience to yours in regard to the length and amount of sub use. She is now down to .5 and been there for roughly 2 weeks! That is huge compared to where she was a couple months ago. She would be a great person to ask about tapering. I would suggest that you start taking vitamins, exercise, eat well, and keep yourself busy. The hardest part for me was just starting the taper because my head was telling me that it was going to be hell on earth and I was WAY overthinking everything, plus reading hundreds of different stories on the internet. I keep hearing this, and I will say it again, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! Granted, there are things that have helped us all taper down and jump, but I would say just listen to your body. You are going to be uncomfortable at times, but it is not nearly as bad as our minds make it out to be. When you decrease hour dose, get comfortable there before you drop again.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

OKAY!!! Confused, and not sure what I should do from here, but it's a good confused. So the situation is that I have been going up, down, and all around between .375 & .5 over the last 3 weeks, except for over a week ago when I went up to .625 for 3 days because I was dropping drastically and needed to readjust. Recently, I stabilized at .5, splitting the doses anywhere from 9 - 19 hours. 2 days ago I stayed at .375 all day, and yesterday took probably just under .5, as I took a tiny sliver about 7pm.

Here's where it gets interesting: I woke up about 5am, which is pretty normal since I started tapering (5-7 hours of sleep per night). I got up and got ready, did a little exercise and stretching, and went straight for the xanax and not the sub. I had to run some errands, and in the afternoon started feeling a little funky, so I took 1/2 clonodine and 1/2 xan to try and combat needing the dose as much as possible. I really took a lot of meds today, but not to the point where I'm drooling and stumbling. I am wondering if this is a sign that it's time to jump? I am debating on whether I should take .25 tonight (giving me a full 24 hours between doses) so I'm still progressing on the taper and not making it twice as hard tomorrow. Or maybe just skip a day, and dose normally tomorrow. I am kind of freaked out that I am not hurting much at all after over 20 hours since my last dose. I know I'm taking meds, but I've been taking the same meds pretty much this entire taper and I have never experienced this before. I know everyone will have some different input, but just curious about what everyone's thoughts are!!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I were you, I'd take the .25mg dose tonight, that gives you a full 24 hours between doses and that's a good step forward from where you were. Also, taking the dose at night will hopefully help you get some sleep, which is a bonus.

Tomorrow, I'd shoot for taking one dose, .25mg again, in the evening. Your body (and brain) may be ready to go down to .25mg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the response Romeo. I ended up taking the .25 last night, even though I really wasn't hurting, which was tripping me out more than anything. I'm going for the same today, gonna stretch it out as far as I can. It was just so bizzare that I wasn't struggling at all after 20 hours of only taking a tiny sliver as my last dose! I am so excited that this is coming to a close. I am fully aware that everyday is not going to be like that, but it is a huge step toward my healing and recovery. I am not so freaked out now about Monday being my jump day. More later...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So today is day 2 at .25, and almost spaced out 24 hours!!!! I'm experiencing a little depression here and there, but I also didn't exercise this morning, which I know has been helping out a lot with this. If I feel it absolutely necessary then I will take a little sliver to get me through the night, but that's it. This is not nearly as bad as I was expecting! I thought for sure I would be miserable dropping this low. I still don't have much of an appetite and sleep is fairly limited, but I'm getting there! I feel totally ready to make this jump on Monday! I'm not expecting to feel great everyday all the time, but I 100% believe that I CAN and WILL do this! Thanks to everyone on here who has helped me along this journey! I know I couldn't have done it alone! More tomorrow...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe things aren't as bad as you expected cuz you're a complete and utter BAD ASS!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next