It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tapering
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

2 days at .375 is great, and .5 is still low! That is something to be proud of Mama!! Keep up your positive attitude; to quote Romeo's advice to me which I keep leaning on: "progress, not perfection"!
I also had another night of progress without perfection as before morning I had taken another .25 (could not sleep and didn't want to take more clonodine) so .75 for the day- but not back up to 1mg!!
Yes, Today is a new day! "Let us rejoice and be glad in it!" (Bible verse)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I should have mentioned this earlier to you and rca, but better late than never. A lot of people who've tapered have done something similar to what y'all are doing. If they were going from say 1mg to .5mg, they'd do this;

Day 1--.5mg
Day 2--1mg
Day 3--.5mg
Day 4--1mg
Day 5--.5mg
Day 6--.5mg
Day 7--1mg
Day 8--.5mg
Day 9--.5mg
Day 10--.5mg

When I first saw this taper method, I wasn't a big fan of it, but after seeing plenty of people do this taper method and succeed, I think it's a perfectly valid way to taper.

And yes.....Progress, Not Perfection!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Romeo. Ya--I have seen this method before, and when I really think about it, makes sense. When I first heard "the bathtub is filling quicker than it's draining" in regard to subs and the half-life, I thought it was a perfect analogy. I think I will go for .375 again today & tomorrow, as it has been 7 1/2 hours since my morning .25 (and 1/2 clonodine, 1/2 xanax) and feel perfectly well. As mentioned in a previous post, I am starting to go for hours now without even thinking about my taper, which is a miracle! Thank you too, rca, for the kind words and encouragement! More later.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Romeo wrote:
I should have mentioned this earlier to you and rca, but better late than never. A lot of people who've tapered have done something similar to what y'all are doing. If they were going from say 1mg to .5mg, they'd do this;

Day 1--.5mg
Day 2--1mg
Day 3--.5mg
Day 4--1mg
Day 5--.5mg
Day 6--.5mg
Day 7--1mg
Day 8--.5mg
Day 9--.5mg
Day 10--.5mg

When I first saw this taper method, I wasn't a big fan of it, but after seeing plenty of people do this taper method and succeed, I think it's a perfectly valid way to taper.

And yes.....Progress, Not Perfection!!

Hey Romeo, Looking back over my last 6 days, that is pretty close to what I have done, although that was not my plan. Dropping to .5 was harder than other drops for me, mainly because of difficulty sleeping. But instead of 1mg I have only taken .75. Today was another .5 day, and since tomorrow is my day 7, I am going to really try and stick to no more than .5 from now on, sleep or no sleep!

I am so inspired at your progress Mama!! You are so close to the end now! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks rca! Back atcha! My length and amount of subs habit is peanuts compared to yours, and you are trucking through this like a champ! Ya--dropping from .75 to .5 was the toughest for me as well. Day 4, to be exact, was extremely miserable, even with the comfort meds. Hang in there; it's like the last mile of a marathon & the finish line is in sight! So looking forward to not being a slave to a tiny, bitter, orange, expensive piece of film! Talk soon...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mama79 wrote:
Thanks rca! Back atcha! My length and amount of subs habit is peanuts compared to yours, and you are trucking through this like a champ! Ya--dropping from .75 to .5 was the toughest for me as well. Day 4, to be exact, was extremely miserable, even with the comfort meds. Hang in there; it's like the last mile of a marathon & the finish line is in sight! So looking forward to not being a slave to a tiny, bitter, orange, expensive piece of film! Talk soon...

great out look to both of you, what you are feeling from your drops I feel was how I felt during the first 4-5 days of stopping. Its so do able, if you put your mind to it. I think after that you will get daily small relief everyday from something. keep pushing :arrow:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks db for the words of encouragement. How long have you been off subs now? What mg did you jump from? For now, my goal is to remain at .375 until Tues., then drop to .25, and stay at that dose until next Sat., so June 1 will be a brand new month, and a brand new me! My worst symptoms are pretty much in my head. The physical stuff really isn't that bad. I've been experiencing more insomnia lately due to being on such a low dose, but it's not that I can't sleep because I am sooooo sick, I'm just awake. I want to cut down on xanis and clonodine as well right now so that they will be more effective when I actually jump, because that's when I'm REALLY going to need them. Anyways, doing pretty much the same today, a little tired because I kept waking up last night, and stomach is gurgling and cramping a bit, but doing pretty well. Will check in tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I jumped at .3. I had planed to go down to .2 but I woke up and said hell I don't need this anymore and stopped. I had been semi stable at that does for 1-2 days. My taper was not real fun so I wanted it all over. your so close congrats, you have got this :!: :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks db. I looked up your thread so I don't ask any more questions that you've already posted answers to :) . That's great that you just said "forget this!" one day, and was just done with it! I'll see how it goes once I get down to .25. I keep telling myself everyday "just take your .25 in the morning and skip the night dose", but haven't yet. I'll get there though! Today I'm feeling about the same. Stomach rumbling, and always worse at night when I'm trying to sleep. Energy not great but it's not like I'm completely useless either! 2 more days then another drop, and then the next week will be the start of a whole new life! Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mama79 wrote:
Thanks db. I looked up your thread so I don't ask any more questions that you've already posted answers to :) . That's great that you just said "forget this!" one day, and was just done with it! I'll see how it goes once I get down to .25. I keep telling myself everyday "just take your .25 in the morning and skip the night dose", but haven't yet. I'll get there though! Today I'm feeling about the same. Stomach rumbling, and always worse at night when I'm trying to sleep. Energy not great but it's not like I'm completely useless either! 2 more days then another drop, and then the next week will be the start of a whole new life! Looking forward to it.

mama I did my best spiting doses no matter how small. I took at 6am and 3pm. hope this helps. there is a lot of controversy about it but it worked better for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ya, I think it's best to split them too, no matter how small. When I dropped form .75 to .5, after a few days of taking .25 2x daily, I thought I would just take the whole thing in the morning so my doses would be spaced by 24 hours. WRONG! I felt really good for a few hours, then by the afternoon I felt like shit and had to tough it out the rest of the night. Yesterday I hopped back up to .5 after .375 for 3 days. I guess I'm sort of doing the "zigzag" method that Romeo posted last week. I haven't taken anything yet today, and feel okay. Just the stomach stuff, but I've kind of gotten used to it now. Seriously, the worst symptom is the crap that goes on in my brain. I have kicked heroin cold turkey in a jail cell before and truly wanted to die. I feel one little cramp, or toss & turn one night and my head is like "oh my God, make yourself better!!!" But it isn't that bad, and as you described in your post, the symptoms seem to come in waves.

So grateful I found this site! I was sort of "eavesdropping" for a while before I actually started posting, and don't think I would've made it this far without "chatting" with all of you! I've tried to do this a couple times before on my own without talking to anyone about it, and failed every time. It felt amazing to finally bring my dark little secret into the light. It is allowing my soul to finally begin to heal. So thanks again, everyone!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:50 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

yea that shit(belly) I hated. I can tell you it will get much better. I felt for me the more I pushed to get down my dose the more frequent it happened, that is one of the biggest reasons I never want a part of any of this again!!!!!!!!! I would taper on down, I think it minimizes the PAWS. I don't know that cant just tell you both times I tapered off, I was at 2.5 done for a week no issues(I think). back on the second time I tapered to .3 and I had 7-9 days of w/d(not to bad) I have no issues I can speak of. There are faint reminders, but im only at 15 days so maybe I have a bad couple coming up who knows.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I had never heard of PAWS before until recently. I just thought that it was that crappy, raw feeling you have after detox because the body/brain are healing and working on those endorphines again. I didn't know that there was an actual medical term for it. What I've experienced in the past is that even after a month or two, I might just have a not so good day where I'm kind of on a downer and don't feel right, but nothing major. I think if you tapered to .3 and it's been 15 days then it will be nothing but downhill from here. You have a great attitude about everything and I believe that is the key to all of this.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So today pretty much sucks. I have some other health issues that is making this part of the taper much more difficult. Yesterday I went back up to .625, almost double my previous dose. But, I'm trying for .375 again today. I decided to stretch the taper a little longer, & Mon June 2nd will be my 1st day without anything, except comfort meds, of course. Whether I'm going to fully jump, or just skip days, I don't know yet. But if anything I'm committing to being totally done by the 2nd week of June.

Just wanted to post & share my crappy feelings today! :cry: I know it's just a bad day, & what should I expect after doing what I've been doing, right? If it were a piece of cake then we would all be done, no problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mama79 wrote:
So today pretty much sucks. I have some other health issues that is making this part of the taper much more difficult. Yesterday I went back up to .625, almost double my previous dose. But, I'm trying for .375 again today. I decided to stretch the taper a little longer, & Mon June 2nd will be my 1st day without anything, except comfort meds, of course. Whether I'm going to fully jump, or just skip days, I don't know yet. But if anything I'm committing to being totally done by the 2nd week of June.

Just wanted to post & share my crappy feelings today! :cry: I know it's just a bad day, & what should I expect after doing what I've been doing, right? If it were a piece of cake then we would all be done, no problem.

yea I hear yea, I had some many bad day on subs but I don't know I ever stayed at a comfortable level at anytime. I wanted off the second I got on, I have serious control issues I guess. keep posting your crappy days that is what helped me thru. I have had almost 2 straight years of tapering off. I would get comfortable a day or 2 and use. try and get to an even day night dose and stay until you feel better. I dropped from 1mg to .5 and thought I was going to die, split dose. It gets better after 5-7 days max, you just need to stabilize out for a few. don't rush, I had too. keep posting!!!!! and I hope you feel better....

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey mama, do you have Clonidine?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hey mama, do you have Clonidine?

yea the clonidine will help you,

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry you are having a rough day Mama...I agree with DB, just try to stabilize maybe and don't be hard on yourself. Keep busy; I know it is hard, but seems to help with the mental part. Stay strong!! And be proud you have come as far as you have; I know you will get through this!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the support everyone. Romeo--I do have clonidine. I've usually just been taking 1/2 during day + 1/2 xanax, then taking 1 whole clondodine before bed, but today it just wasn't working, even after taking 1 whole. The sweats were coming on pretty bad and I was REALLY irritable! I came home after work, took another .25 (for a total of .5 for today) took another 1/2 xanax, and feel a lot better.

db--yes it helps to post the bad days too. I also wanted to get off subs as soon as I got on, set myself a 3-week time limit, etc. But obviously it didn't work that way. I have only been on subs since Nov 2013, and was pretty much steady at +/-1mg the majority of the time. The relapse I had prior to subs was very short-lived as well. I know that is plenty of time to get hooked and physically dependent, I'm just hoping that when I jump I will have a quicker healing process due to the short amount of time. But, I could be wrong. I am also on a time crunch for numerous reasons, but most importantly, just want my life back FULLY! Subs have served their purpose and now it's time to move on. I am going to not feel good no matter what when I jump, I've just decided to be a little easier on myself until that day comes, and take it easy on the comfort meds until then.

rca--thanks! I do get hard on myself, then I start telling myself "you're never gonna get off these," blah, blah, blah. I do need to remember that I've come this far, and that I am tapering/stopping before I wake up one day and years have gone by. I've been there before with other opiates and it sucks. So thanks again. I will give more updates tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just thought I'd check in for an update. I have been pretty steady at .375 today: .125 + 1 clonodine at about 1230am (woke up wide awake), then .25 at 10am. I was looking over my "taper calendar" and I saw that I have not exceeded 1mg since the 14th. I've been all over the place since then, .75 couple times, .5 for 4 or 5 days, .375, .625, etc., so I am glad about that. However, the clock is still ticking as I only have a short window to make this jump, and a little one to take care of, so it has to be done pretty quick. I know that it's ideal to do a very slow taper and stabilize at each dose, I just don't have the time, and that's okay. I have been doing well between .375 & .5, so that's where I'll stay through next Tues (I most likely have to work now on Monday). I know I won't feel good but there are some success stories that I've been following on this forum and I know it's possible. I have meds, and lots of family around to help with my kiddo if I suddenly come down with the flu! :mrgreen: Anyways, today was much better than yesterday. I was thinking today about a very close family member that I lost to cancer, and how I watched him day by day live with constant pain, even with hardcore painkillers. Then I was thinking about anyone else living with chronic pain, and I think to myself that I need to be grateful because the discomfort I'm experiencing isn't all that bad, it's not going to kill me, and I know that I will heal one day. There are lots of people out there who can't say the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next