It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi-
I'm really not sure where to post this in and I really need advice. I relapsed after six months in January 2008 for a short period of time and then found out I was pregnant. I was advised to start subutex, even though I wish I hadn't because I wasn't in my addiction deeply enough to risk my child's health. I started taking subutex January 2008 due to pregnancy. At the time, I was told I could stop in the second trimester, but my ob strongly advised against it, saying that it would put the baby in extreme risk. I started at 8mg and ended at 16mg. I had to have an emergency C-section the same day I had taken a dose on June 23, 2009. The pain medication did not work at all, they even put me on a a dilaudid drip which kept the pain somewhat under control, but by the fourth day when I left, I felt so terrible I started taking them again. I take 8mg a day, but now the added issue is my doctor started prescribing me xanax for aniety in September. I don't NEED either and am constantly upset at the situation. I would think to taper off the subutex first, then the xanax. I am prescribed 5mgs xanax a day, but being the addict I am, I usually take more. My tolerance is getting high and I want to stop. I know Benzo withdraw is horrible. Please help. My baby is now ten months and I want him to have a happy healthy mommy. How long will it take for withdrawl to begin and end off subutex. I may lower as much as possible and find someone to look after the baby and just get through it. And, then the xanax. Obviously slow taper, but how slow should I go?

Thank you for the opportunity to get answers from a doctor who cares.

PS. My baby was fine, he really had only very slight NAS symptoms, such as a slight temperature the first day and tense muscles. The chart they use is very subjective:some categories include irritability and high-pitched crying. Some nurses would give him higher scores for thins like irritability who where judgemental.

Thank you in advance for your advice

PPS two weeks ago, I got through four days without anything and started vomiting and could not take care of my child. That is not me. I of course started taking them again. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Katie and welcome,

First things first, I'm neither a doctor nor a medical professional of any kind, but I do want to say it's extremely dangerous to be taking those two medications together - especially with the high dose of xanax you're on. And you said the same doctor is prescribing them both? I'm surprised and concerned, especially since you take more than the 5mg. Both medications depress your respiratory system, so whatever you do, please be careful.

Have you asked your doctor about the best way to taper down and off? Your idea to do the subutex first is probably a good one. You might need the xanax to help with the sub withdrawals. That said, when it comes to going off subutex/suboxone, you will have minimal withdrawals if you taper down very slowly before jumping off. There are several threads here that discuss stopping. For example the liquid taper method is very popular.

I'm curious, you say you just don't need either medication - I don't understand why you're still on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being bitchy, but I think people who want off their meds NOW, for whatever reason, tend to not take the time to do it right. And going slow is definitely the right thing to do to allow for minimum discomfort.

I would suggest doing it using a plan from you and your doctor. And again, please be careful with the xanax.

Again, welcome to the forum - I hope you get as much out of it as I do. There are some great people here.

Take care and please keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i am 37weeks preggo and taking 3-4mg of subutex and have a planned C-Section in 14 days. I can go without for seven days, I don't want to be in pain. So you son was ok??? I have only been on subutex for two weeks. I am so scared for my baby. i am scared I will go early, and sometimes what to stop right now, but 13 days is a long time, i can do seven I know for sure. Can you send me a message or help me. I really need to know what it is like

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Subutex/xanax
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you for the welcoming words.
Hatmaker- Yes, it is concerning that I am prescribed both (and wellbutrin) and ambien if I ask. You can figure what kind of doctor he is. The xanax is for anxiety, which I do have, but I went through ten months pregnant without them- actually most of my life except for a few week long prescriptions. I avoid it due to my addiction issues. That is why I don't NEED that. Subutex-I relapsed after six months, but only for about a month, but before that I was clean for two years. I have no desire to take subutex. Maybe having a baby changed me, maybe I finally got "it", I don't know. I know I am an addict. But I also know I have higher powers in my life that have given me the strength to quell the desire. I would have never gotten on it after a using on and off for a month without it being suggested I needed to. I am not against Suboxone, I just want to be me again without taking a pill to feel normal.

Kris-
If you have only been taking it two weeks, I would taper off in a week. You are not going to be that ill if it has only been that long. And pain medication will probably be effective for you, you just may need a little more. Don't worry about your baby. Two weeks is nothing and studies have shown that infants don't go through terrible withdraw. I wouldn't expect any for yours. They will monitor him for 72 hours though in the intensive nursery. You have NOTHING to worry about except getting his room ready!

Post subject: katie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thank you so much, so since I have 14 days and on 4mg, I can go down to 2mg tomorrow for three days and try to get to 1mg and stop, you made me feel so much better. the dr said the same thing, thank you so much