It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I been on suboxone for yrs and my new doctor seems to want to try to get me to reduce or try to stop slowely and i been on or perscribed 30 sub 8mg a month. So last month he advised to try 4mg then 6mg next day. Well i been very stressed out i came to my 20th sub which is all he wrote i though he still was giving me 30 subs this never happened but im a week short. now ill call him tomm and i guess tell them i had a hard tome this month trying to cut and i need a weeks worth more or i may go use. This i dont think will be a problem since it was the first reduction in pills and it shows im short exactly ten . anyt advise to easy my nervousness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi neruomind and welcome to the forum. You're definitely not alone in that there are a fair number of doctors out there who try to push people off suboxone before they are ready. This leaves you with a decision to make. You can stay with that doctor and try to work this out with him or try to work with his taper plans for you OR you can investigate new suboxone doctors who agree with long-term suboxone maintenance.

As for any advice for you, I'll say this: When you ask your doctor for another week's worth, don't ask him for more suboxone "or I'll use" (you probably didn't mean to write it like that), because that sounds like manipulation. Just be honest with him and tell him what you told us. And be honest about your fears of relapsing if you run out. If it were me, I'd also take that opportunity to discuss my treatment plan - why he wants to taper down all of a sudden and why (what is his reasoning? Does he just not agree with long-term maintenance?). This is your doctor and you should be able to have an honest discussion with him about your medication. Notice I said "SHOULD". Not all doctors make it exactly easy to have honest, open communication with them, no matter how hard we try.

Give it your best shot and let us know how it goes. I hope it works out for you and you don't have to go running around in search of a new doctor. That's a big pain in the arse.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum neruomind! Did you end up asking your doctor for more sub? Keep us posted on what happened, k?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: tappering
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I got some bad news from my neurologist,today,he said this is the
Last time he would write me suboxone. Ugh! I started seeing him
Because my reg. Dr said it was illegal for him to write it for me(over 1 yr. Ago).
So,now I'm wondering why he didn't want me to taper down.I'm just saying.why? Kimba 6-26-12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi kimba, and welcome to the forum.

What dose of Suboxone are you on? It actually is legal for a regular physician to write you a prescription for subs if they indicate on the Rx that it being prescribed off-label for pain. Maybe your doctor does not know this.

Were you planning on tapering eventually? If not, maybe you can find a sub doctor to prescribe you your sub. You can try this link where you can sign up for the doctor-patient matching program. You can send the doctors in your area messages through this system, and tell them your situation and you might get a response:

http://www.naabt.org/tl/buprenorphine-s ... atment.cfm

Here are a couple other websites that might help:

http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/

www.suboxone-directory.com