It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ive been on Sub since 01/05/2010 and my next refill will be my first taper. I can either do 1 - 4mg or 3 - 2mg (total of 6mg). Do you think 4mg will be too much too fast? Also I have been taking Soma and a little Xanax, not much just enough to take the edge off. I'm working on this too. I just quit smoking (17 days now) and I'm starting to exercise again. I feel like I'm ready for a the taper, I really want to cut down to the 4mg, advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't speak from direct experience, but from everything I have read, from a variety of people that have reduced their dose, I would pretty strongly suggest you go to 6mg first for at least a couple of week or even a month and then go to 4mg from there. From everything I have read, it seems like if there is a common dose that seems to really start kicking in with people, it is 4mg. Reductions above 4mg seem to go pretty well and many people report feeling little or no difference from their previous dose. However, when they get to 4mg things start to change and they often start to feel the effect. On top of that, going from 8mg down to 4mg is cutting your dose in half. That is a pretty big drop all at once. While dropping from 12mg to 8mg is also a 4mg change or reduction, it is less percentage wise.

Now, having said all of that, you can always try halfing your dose down to 4 and see how it goes. You can always revert back to 6 mg if you need to. Just make sure that you have enough Bup to be able to do that. If your doc only writes for 4mg you will obviously run out early.

I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, I am so sick of the taste, I wish they made a cherry flavor or anything other than that funky orange but anything is better than being strung out on opy's. I'm hoping that by this time next year Ill be out from under all meds

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I say go to 6mgs. Once you get down to 8mgs it's not as easy to split your dose in half when tapering.

GOOD LUCK!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Okay - I just went from 8mg to 6mg with no problems. Its been 1 month @ 6mg and I'm ready for a refill, do you think its too soon to go down to 4mg? This is my 6th month on Suboxone (5 months x 8mg - 1 month x 4mg).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am on 3 mg from 24 originally. My doc always tapered by 2 mg until I got to around 6. From 6 down to 3 we would lower 1 mg and sometimes a half mg. I also found it easier to go every other day for a month. Say I was going from 6 to 5, instead of just switching to 5 one day I would take 5 every other day for a month and the lower. I'm kind of a baby when it comes to any type of withdrawels. It's funny I used to go through horrific detoxes a few times a month (the worst was my wife locking me in our bedroom for 4 days after a heavy h run) and now I complain about the slightest negative feelings. My toughest taper was from 4 to 3, took like 3 or 4 months. Everyone is different though, you might not feel a thing. Most times I would lower I would feel it for a week or so then my body would adjust. My advise, take it slow, it's not a race. Post how you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 am 
I agree with Smoothyly.....probably my toughest taper was from 4mg to 3mg and then on under that has continued to be relatively difficult. I went from 6mg to 4mg in one step and I don't recall it being terribly hard. BUT, in hindsight, I think I would have had an easier time to step to 5mg first. I also did what Smoothly wrote regarding kind of switching back and forth.....like taking 4mg a day for a couple of days and then taking 5-6mg/day and then back to 4mg/day. I know some people would NOT be okay with that. I had my doctor's approval to do it however I felt best, so I did 'bounce around' dose wise. However, I was still consistently bringing my over all dose DOWN over time. I will have been on Suboxone one year on July 9 and am now down to ~1mg/day. I was at ~4mg/day at somewhere near the six month point, so pretty close to where you're at now.
I would just encourage you to take it slow, listen to what your body is telling you and take as long as you need. If it is your goal to eventually get off the Subs.....just keep working toward gradually bringing your dose down and you'll get there eventually! Oh.....and keep working on all your other recovery methods and practices as you will need them more and more as you decrease your Sub. Let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I concur with everyone here in that you should taper slowly from here. All of my tapering was quite easy until I got down to around the 4mg mark, then it got more difficult from there, but I tapered 1mg per month, even when I was above 4mg