It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks I am on day 48. I am feeling pretty darn good I'd have to say. I am beginning to experience the recovery of my long lost personality. I talk more, have had a change in physical feeling of lagging energy as well. It was not long ago when getting up to let the dog outside was a chore, (poor dog_) but now I am able to do things without having to force myself to move around. My taper is beginning to have paid off in a big way, the worries about the end, how I will feel tomorrow and all the things associated seem to have slipped by me now. I am thinking I will improve more so after I surpass the 60 and 90 day time frame. Geez 60 days is only 12 days out at this point, what a great thought. I will check in periodically and relay my experience.
If anyone is wondering my sleep is still at 6 hours per night and waking early is still a thing but I don't fight it anymore I just get up and go on about my day. I can't wait till I can sleep till an alarm wakes me but there is no telling if or when that will happen. My folks always told me that you need less sleep as you age, not sure if that is a factor but I am turning 55 very soon. As far as cravings go "none" no desire have not given it a thought I think at this stage I have learned over time how evil heroin is and trading my soul for another "round" is not something I care to deal with ever again. I have wasted so much time over many years chasing highs and trying to stave off sickness between scoring. And the money ... everyone knows how that goes.
I went the Methadone route for a very long time and if I had to compare that with Suboxone I think suboxone has benefits over methadone. There was no daily trips while on Suboxone and I also decided when and how to quit by myself through trial and error. The methadone clinic totally controlled so much of my time and regulated doses to the point I felt I was under their thumb. With Suboxone I had one month of once a week. One month of every other week and avoided the daily trips, gas and expense. I paid out of pocket for Methadone for 6 years and towards the end it was 120 a week even while tapering the amount of the dose did not affect the cost which makes one think there getting ripped off if your paying the same for a small dose as a person getting 200 mgs. It's a mind game with Methadone in many ways. Suboxone was much easier to use and took away cravings and when I tapered they stayed at bay. Methadone was not like that I craved like hell during the taper and was exposed to dope of all kinds at the clinic, the place was like a dopers drug store. With suboxone it is much easier to put distance between those who use I think if someone wants to get clean they need to disconnect from other active addicts, the "cycle" is too hard to break otherwise. Well I am done blabbing for now ......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 am 

Great job on day 48!!!! That is magnificent :)

Looking forward to more updates from ur journey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Jennifer,

I plan to visit the forum for some time, it seems to help me keep things into prospective and I also have a place to look back, sort of a diary so to speak. Who knows somebody may benefit from this as well. I know I was terrified to taper (fear of withdrawal I have had some bad ones) and there did not seem to be a lot of positive information out there. I am thinking that something I read which was the people who have trouble linger for help and whatnot and those who have no troubles just go about their lives. During trying times the posts I could find that were not horror stories helped me to gain the courage to follow through with the desire to be off everything and change my ways.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 am 

Ur absolutely right! The ppl who have positive outcomes seem to go on and not worry about posting anymore. I get that but I wish they'd see it differently like paying it forward to the ppl who could really use a positive journey to the next chapter. Pelican, a member here, has been so awesome about doing that. He's been off buprenorphine for years and still helps ppl on this forum constantly. I hope u can do that too. Ppl will definitely look to u for guidance and information. I hope u continue here for a loooong time :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Tomorrow I will reach the two month mark 60 days! I feel good during the day and have had no cravings or desire to use. My sleep is a bit sketchy but I am sleeping 5 to 7 hours each night. Last weekend I slept quite a bit I got a good 9 hours but not in the window of time that I would have liked but I will take what I can get. I guess after all this time I am beginning to realize that you will sleep when your body needs it. Recovery is a process and even when your off the medication there are still things to deal with.
I have not had any depression or physical issues whatsoever so I am glad about that. All in all I am doing pretty well. Work is much easier than in the beginning as well, I get through the day without any agony at this point. During the taper work was a bit trying but doable. I will post in the near future to relay any further outcomes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm 

Congratulations on the two month mark! I hope that you are on your way to long term success! Thank you for keeping us apprised on how you're doing. It's very helpful to the folks who will follow in your footsteps. Good luck with your continued success!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm 

Your experience is a top notch thread here on the forum. Everything we've been stating all along was verified by your taper and jump.

Congratulations on doing it the right way. And score another point for Suboxone doing the job it's intended to do.

Glad to hear the sleep is slowing getting better. And please, do pop in from time to time for an update. Those who are trying to stop need to read your posts.

r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:16 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

If I am counting right (to be honest I forgot about counting at this point) I am at 74 days at this point. I have found some normalcy in my routine. I still have some trouble sleeping sometimes but blame that more on my age than any form of lingering withdrawal symptom. I also still get lazy at times but have begun to think it is weather related. Soon the cold will come (live in Wisconsin) at least this winter I won't be dope sick, last Christmas I remember needing to get a fix to get my sick off so I could cope with going to visit with family. I was already searching for a suboxone clinic ended up grinding until February 21st if I remember right. From that point on things got better, and thinking back as challenging as tapering was it beat the hell out of the addictive lifestyle I was dwelling in. I don't have any cravings or think about dope at all these days. Things are getting better still, I think the longer away from the habitual phase the better. Guess I am just doing some reflecting, it helps me to see things in stages and realize how far I have come.
Anyone who wants to quit "can" you just have to be ready and want it, go very slowly and it should not be an issue, I was only working part time when I started suboxone and took on a full time position during my taper and never missed a day. Sure some days were a bit challenging but in life no pain no gain. That does not mean I had days from hell, I am a wimp when it comes to withdrawals, never felt more than some unmotivated times and some sleep problems, all in all not anything to complain about in comparison to the attempts I made to quit heroin so many times. If I didn't get into the sub program when I did I would most likely be so "ucked" up right now, broke, very likely homeless, and maybe even dead. I was in a downward spiral for real and would have to say suboxone saved me. I was not able to quit doing heroin, and was able to quit suboxone, and it left me with no cravings and I am in a much better place now. I know I babbling

Take Care will post again before too long

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Update, it's feels like so long now since I quit I have a hard time counting days at this point. I think my jump date was 7/24/17 so that puts me at 90 days now, or with in a day or two of. I feel pretty good. I am still having some sleep issues but not to complain. I sleep a good 5 to 6 hours a night and from I read I am doing better than some do, so I will take it. I just wish the hours I sleep were closer to when I would like to sleep and awake. I should be glad I have no problem falling asleep, just sleeping as long as I would like to. I guess your body sleeps when it is need though. All in all, all is well

Take Care

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:46 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

100 days yesterday since my jump. All is well no cravings, energy is returning more in a gradual manner, I am a lot better than I was say 30 days in, I must say it happens so slowly it is hard to notice.
My sleep is still odd. I have a hard time staying up at night time, (I work during the day and it wears me out). I have been getting an average of 5 to 6 hours and sometimes I get more. I have not had to set an alarm (even though I do) I wake early without it.
Now it is time to turn the clocks back tonight. I am a bit worried this will cause me to wake an hour earlier than the unwanted waking times I already experience. I am going to try to start staying up later but I have a hard time keeping my eyes open as night falls upon me. I think in time this may sort itself out, and in the back of my mind think it has something to do with the aging process I am 55. My folks used to tell me the older you get the less you sleep, perhaps I am finding out what they were talking about. Anyhow that is about all I have for input right now. I will post if anything important happens and will update again in a week or two.
Take Care

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Woooooooooo 100 days!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Owlcrow, So good to read all your check ins and see that you are doing well, :D I KNEW that you would do well. I swear I did. You did such a wonderful taper and adjustments on your taper as you saw fit. You were strictly business and I knew dang well that you were going to succeed. Honey you better bundle up bc it's about to get cold as a well diggers butt up there where you live. I wish you could get more sleep but maybe with the time change you can eventually use that to your advantage, what with the long amount of darkness we are experiencing now. I just have the biggest smile on my face right now as I am replying to you. Well done Owlcrow. Your forum friend, Angie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Justin, and Angie,

Justin thanks for rooting for me.

Angie, same thanks also for the kind words as well, I hope all is going good for you and nice to hear from you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:24 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Just a few days away from the 4 month mark. I have stopped counting days. I have had some good improvement since my last post. I was worried about the time change affecting my sleep more and waking up too early, which would have been harder with backing the clock up an hour.
I have actually been able to stay up later and have been sleeping until 4 or 4:30 instead of waking at 2 or 3. I am able to stay up later without feeling so tired I can't stay awake. I have been getting to bed around 10 or 11 and getting 5 to 6 hours of sleep. The amount of time is about the same (I feel good with 6 hours). On a couple of mornings I even slept to hear the sound of my alarm which is set to 5 am. I start work at 6 so I have been very pleased with the progress I have made in the sleep department.
My energy has been good, no cravings, or any other negative things to concern me. I think I have adjusted about as good as I could wish for. Life is getting much better as time goes on. I know without suboxone I would still be using and my life would be a mess.
Anyone who is worried about quitting that wants to I can say that with some determination, discipline, and desire it is possible and it will work out if you work on it. If anyone has any questions or wants some suggestions about tapering I am willing to help with support and use my experience with this to share what I have been through to try and help out.
I will update how I am doing as time goes by. I check in often to read others posts and reflect on my progress as well as to help to keep myself in "check".
Thanks for reading,

Take Care

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the continual updates OC. Although they say "One Day at a Time" think more about getting to at least one year. From all the addicts/alcoholics I've talked with they all said the same thing about it taking a long time for normalcy to return to their lives. That sure took the wind out of my sails.

When I finally succeeded in quitting smoking I did just that. Years prior I had stopped for 2 years and went back to it while having a beer in a bar. Stupid, stupid, mistake. My focus was of course day to day but my goal was to get past the 2 year mark.

Don't ever forget the fact that if the cravings return you can always go back on Suboxone. That surely beats the alternative IMO. Knowing you have a safety net under you it should actually help you stay clean. But that's just my opinion as I have never stopped opiates once I began. For me, at my age, I'll just stay on a low dose and call it even. If the day comes that I know for sure I'm ready, then I'll go back and read all the success stories from you and the other members who don't pop in to say hi.

Sleep will come in time. Never forget you're an addict in remission.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:16 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Rule,

I see the 6 month mark on the horizon, with the holidays coming the time will fly by and I will be there before I know it. The year mark seems distant though although I believe I will make it to that.
I do remember I am an addict in remission. I think that mindset helps to avoid situations that may cause temptation.
Reading that made me think of a commercial I hate. The one that the guy says I was an addict but I am not anymore, ( I bet you've seen it) that comment pisses me off every time they play that one. Any true addict knows that once an addict always an addict there is no erasing the addiction as that commercial misleads people to try and believe, I don't buy it never have.
Anyhow thanks for the reply and I plan to continue visiting the site and posting as I see fit , well into the future. I like to think my thread has helped others although I can't be certain. I know when I was going through my taper I read so many horror stories and finding real experiences were far and few between. That and having a place to document my progress really appealed to me so I became a member.

Take Care

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7