It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker and Jack (DOQ) thanks for responding to my 2 week taper post. Jack tomorrow I am going down to 1mg from 2mg. I thought about your taper plan and discussed it with my wife and we both agree its a better plan than the one I had. I really want to minimize the severity and length of WD's. Its really not just about me but my wife has to go through this also and that bothers me more than anything. She won't be going through the physical part but she will be affected by the emotional part, the part of having to see me suffer and really not being able to do much. The way I look at this is that I have about 2.5-3 weeks until I jump completely off. 7-10 days on 1mg then 7-10 days on .5mg. Just out of curiosity do you have any input on the liquid method, it makes some sense to me about being easier to dose when it gets to 1 or .5mg. Cutting the 8mg pills down to 8ths and then 16ths seems pretty hard. Quartering these things isn't easy. Any input on this would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello -

Just FYI, Jack Kornfield is just the guy who wrote the quote in my signature, I'm actually a lady :D . My screen name is long so most people just say DoQ or something.

I'm glad you decided to go with the somewhat longer & slower taper. I wish you had more Sub to work with but we gotta use what we've got. I hope it helps reduce some of the withdrawals and PAWS for you. But like I said, I don't think you're going to feel awesome because it's still kinda fast. Keep a positive attitude if you can and that will help. You're stronger than you think!

It is hard to cut the pills into 8ths and 16ths. If you can cut it into 8ths for the 1mg part, then do that. Then when you get down to 0.5mgs you can do the liquid taper. For that you'll need an oral syringe which you can get at any drugstore - they sometimes give them out for kid's cough syrup. You want one that is like 5ml with 1ml and 1/2ml markings.

To make the solution you just crush up the Suboxone and mix it with a measured amount of water until it dissolves. I kept mine in the fridge to keep it from getting funky - I stored it in an empty prescription pill bottle (check to make sure the lid is watertight first). Shake it up before you dose.

I don't have time right now to figure out the formula for how much you should mix up and how much Sub to put in how much water - your formula will be a little different than mine because you have a more limited amount of Sub to work with and you want the days to work out correctly. If you do need help let me know and I will do it.

One word on the emotional part of withdrawal & tapering - be prepared (and let your wife know) to be really touchy, easy to anger and kind of irrational. My husband was great at just not reacting to me when I was being a mega bitch during my taper and it really helped to not escalate the situation. When you feel that way, getting some exercise (walks are great) or just getting away from the situation really helps.

Good luck and let me know if you need help with the math on the solution.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good luck.

Regarding cutting pills down, I bought a pill cutter from my local pharmacy. I was chopping down 2 mg tabs with ease and they're tricky little suckers.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply's. DOQ thanks for the heads up on the name, it sounded familiar I think he's the guy who wrote Blue Jean Budda or something like that years ago. At any rate the math part is easy on the liquid measures, my only question is how long do you let the liquid stay under your tongue? I just dosed at 1 mg for the first time this am, its doable cutting the 1/4's down to 1/8's but when I get down to 1/16 or .5mg I will do the liquid method. Curious to see what today has to offer after dropping down to 1mg. I will say one thing about being on 16mg of subs for the last 18 months, if I knew how easy it was dropping down to 4mg I would have done it 15 months ago. Its amazing how little you know until you come on a site like this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would keep the liquid under my tongue for 10-15 mintues and then don't drink anything for 30 minutes after that. The liquid hits faster because you're not waiting for anything to dissolve. And remember that any of the membranes in your mouth can absorb Sub, not just the area right under the tongue.

Before you make your solution, experiment to see how much liquid you can comfortably keep under your tongue for that long. I made my solution to come out in 1ml doses so I could split the dose am & pm, 0.5ml each time. I found this helped me sleep better. For me, 0.5ml was the ideal amount of liquid. Doing the whole 1ml seemed like too much at once.

Once I got down to 0.25mgs a day, I dropped my morning dose and just dosed at night. This worked for me because it was easier to distract myself from the withdrawal during the day but I really needed to be able to sleep at night. I was always suprised at how much I could feel that tiny dose at the end of the day. Makes you realize how strong bupe really is.

I always found that the 2nd or 3rd day after I dropped my dose was the hardest and then I would start to level out again. So hopefully you'll be feeling ok today. Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dropped down to 1mg today and feel pretty good, was able to bust out a concrete slab and pour the cement. Its now 7:30pm and starting to feel some WD symptoms, mostly heart is a little racy. I know with the half life being so long that things might get a little crazy in another day or 2. My plan is to do the 1mg for another 7 days then do another taper down to .5mg. I have enough to do 7 days at .5 and try to do .25mg for about 5-6 days. I believe that will be my jump point. Wish me well and I will keep posting with a progress update. Appreciate every ones input and encouragement.