It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i also figured, like so many of you, i could use this as a way to track my progress. My name's Kim, I'm 21 and have been on suboxone for 7 months. I was originally on 16mg but almost never took that much (my roxy habit was around 90mg, more or less depending) usually more around 12mg. My doctor has been a great support system along with family and friends.

I cut down to 8mg rather quickly, then 4mg and 8mg on "longer" days (usually weekend and weekday, I'm a college student, want to get my RN) my doctor was fine with this btw, we have sort of a flexible plan, listen to one another. Anyway, I saw him around 2 weeks ago and said I wanted to come off it completely over the summer. His plan was to try a quarter (2mg) every other day vs 4mg for 13 days, if I could do it for more than 5 (which I did, all but one) I could move to the next step: only 2mg a day. I am also on an array of vitamins, supplements, homeopathic remedies.

However, this jump has proved a little harder than I thought; due to the long half life of suboxone, I'll feel sick at certian times (mostly gooseflesh, hot and cold flashes, sweats and shivers) I know the Dr. who runs this board states in his blog 10% slow taper is ideal, some members believe towards the very end it is needed. I woke up from a nap (weird sleeping patterns too) and wanted to see how long I could go without taking my 2mg, I felt the sickest I had been since starting my treatment. All of that, and a sense of no reality, like a dreamlike state. Druglike, being sober for the first time in a long time off anything (except the Klonopin I'm prescribed) anyway, it was scary. but I just took my 2mg, and this post has calmed me down. I'm so determined for a life free of any substance, including the one that got my life back. I'm glad I found this board. Now.. I want to get this done kind of quickly, after finals I needed to find a new job but wanted to wait till I detoxed for obvious reasons; but I need money haha. I am supposed to eventually go every other day with nothing, crumbs if I need them... but the liquid taper is probably what I'm going to do.

I was just wondering what speed would cause the least discomfort that wasn't really slow. Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey there.... When you get down to lower doses you really feel the decreases. My opinion is that when you get down under 2 mgs a day or so you really have to slow down the taper and give your brain time to adjust. If you feel like you can take less on a given day or a shorter day then do it. If you feel like you can't decrease much on a given day don't. I went very slow once I got down to that 2 mg point and I think that was the key in my getting off of sub. I'm not out of the woods...well none of use ever will be I guess but I'm off 2 weeks now and experienced 0 withdrawals and feel good. Everything you described is a result of jumping down a little too fast in my opinion.

How long were you on Roxys? They say you need sub about as long as you were on opiates...i odn't necessarily agree that it's a 1 to 1 ratio needed but I think you do need to plan your sub taper with your length of opiate use in mind. I was on pills for 3-4 years and it took me almost two years to taper all the way off sub...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. Im also new here and I pretty much had the same question as kim. I also am 21 and thought that instead of making a new topic i would just check back to see what feedback was given.

I really would like to ask the above poster some questions...

How did you taper once you got under 2mg? In my case im not prescribed but i have about 3 subutex laying aorund to work with so i know its not gonna be completely confortable. I just need to make sure i am reading this right..you experienced 0 withdrawals? How is this done? Please share everything you did and if you can write out your taper you used that would be great. I imagine you had alot more than 3 to work with but i will have to adjust accordingly.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey congdon,

So of course my first advice is to get more sub, get with a doc who will prescribe it (it's not THAT expensive and/or difficult) and do it right. If this is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE you need to stretch what you have as long as possible. Sub is powerful and long lasting. Our addict behavior tells us we need more and we don't feel good so we need more and more sub...but the reality is you can get by on a little amount. So I'd break them up into tiny peices and make them last as long as you can...lengthining the amount of time you go between doses as much as possible. You won't feel great probably the whole time but you won't feel horrible. Then when you finally go off use those other comfort meds to fight off the worst withdrawals.

I'll be posting my whole story soon. I don't want to jump the gun and celebrate how great i did then end up miserable with PAWS or whatever. I want to have a real full success story to tell. But yes I have been off 2 weeks and haven't felt withdrawals at all. Not even RLS or sleeplessness. Really nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well i took about 1mg today and i still have 2 1/2 subs left. My goal is to maybe take 1mg tomorrow and the next day but then decrease again..I want to be taking at least .25 or lower when i jump but thank god im already down to 1mg. Im gonna keep decreasing until im taking a crumb. And then hopefully i can take a crumb for about a week. I wonder if i will feel terrible? how low did you get before jumping?

thank you so much for your info. I really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I was just wondering what speed would cause the least discomfort that wasn't really slow.

kissthesky-
I recently jumped off a high dose of sub and it was not as bad as I thought, physically. Emotionally it is harder as I suffer from depression and anxiety. I notice the anxiety has been getting worse. I also have pain issues and I am considering going back on Sub to become functional again. I am a college student studying addiction counseling and research. I felt my being on Suboxone conflicted with that- why? Because of the stigmatization against people in medication assisted recovery.
I think many people have this "need" to be normal, to move past the addiction- but it is not something that one gets over quickly. Many times the brain of an addicted person is pre-set to be triggered by stressors which result in relapse or moving on to a different addiction/compulsion. Before I ever touched a pain pill, I had addiction/compulsion with food, sex, cocaine. I am wired to overdo it and something should have rang a bell in my head when I decided to rush through getting off of Suboxone,, but I like you felt ready to move on-now I am not so sure.
So what I guess I am trying to say is- take your time because there is no hurry to heal yourself. If you are struggling with the taper, consider taking a little longer. The quality of your life is far more important than taking medication daily for a medical condition.

c0ngd0n-

I agree with hawker1 and think you should consider seeing a physician that will prescribe Suboxone to you so that you get the treatment that is necessary. What are you trying to accomplish with only three pills of subutex? I don't mean that in a bad way- I am just curious what you think it will accomplish for you. Even doing a medical detox with Sub is better than trying to fix yourself with 3 pills. I just would hate to see you have problems and think Sub is to blame. The behavior is the major factor for addiction. The drug alone will not correct addictive behavior, it is merely a tool and other tools are necessary for optimum results.

At the very least visit the suboxone.com website or the substance abuse and mental health administration's website at:
SAMHSA's Buprenorphine education page
Educate yourself on the treatment - it is always good to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Under no circumstance can i get more subs. If you read my post called "From methadone to heroin to subutex and i want out"

you can read my story about how i was on bupe for 1 and half years and had to quit cold turkey at 24~16mg a day. I have been on subutex treatment and after i got off i realized i should have never stayed on them. I person ally think they are best for short term detoxes. What i am trying to accompolish is tapering down to a low amount of opiates in my body. I was doing a gram a day of heroin and c/t from that is ungodly. I think i can take subutex for up to 2 weeks as im already down to 1mg and its gonna keep lowering.

GOAL: 1 gram of heroin a day down to 8mg subutex down to 4mg down to 3 down to 2 down to 1 down to .50 down to .25 down to nothing.

Thanks for the reponse.