It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a new Dr. whom is prescribing my subox. My previous dr. was pretty lax, he trusted me with good reason. I am not interested in playing games, I am quite satisfied carrying on with my life with some sense of normality. I have been on suboxone solid for about 3 or 4 years and I am ready to begin tapering and moving on with my life. Hopefully, I can without the use of suboxone, or at least get it down as much as possible. The problem is that my dr. tests my levels, and he says he does not want me to do tapering without his help. I have never had a doctor get mad at me for taking less of a prescribed narcotic. I don't feel like I should have to ask permission to take less than what he thinks is in my best interest. Is he worried about me selling them or what? I can account for all the medication no problem. How can I taper at my own speed and not get in trouble with him. I was thinking of keeping a log and documenting everything. If I did this do you think he might cut me some slack. I am not trying to get over on anybody, I just don't enjoy being treated like a child, and I want to be able to experiment. Thanks to anybody that has a comment or suggestion.[b][b][/b][/b]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would like to think that the doc would respond to an open conversation about the issue-- just as you put it here. Unfortunately, some docs need to feel in control.... and I don't know what you can do about that type of attitude. I like to have a taper plan at least discussed-- not necessarily completely spelled out, but a general sense of the plan. Docs are expected to know, and to determine, how controlled substances are taken-- so few docs will be comfortable with the patient doing everything on his own. Will the doc tolerate a discussion of the topic?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Good morning. I've tried to taper on my own at least 4 times in the last year that I can remember. It was painful and exhausting and it never worked out. The longest I made it was 8 days and I still felt just as bad as I did from the beginning. My old doc kept telling me to NEVER do this on my own. But I tried and tried... No luck. Anyway, I switched docs and am sorta starting over again. Even after 3 or 4 years now, I'm still struggling. Not with narcotics, but with staying on my proper dosage. It never seems to end. The last two times I've been to see my doc, I've taken my Sub strips and he tells me I'm not staying with the proper dosage as my urine test comes up clean. The last doc said the same thing. A lot of frustration, you know? Even when I'm trying harder to do the right thing, I'm still having trouble with it all.... I know I'm off the beaten track. I hope you're stronger than I am. Maybe you can taper on your own. If you do, let me know. Something to look forward to would be great.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:07 am 

Perhaps you could go to your doctor's office, dose in front of a staff member, then get tested the next day. If the test says you have no sub in your system then the doctor knows for sure that it is a metabolism issue or some other legitimate reason.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all who replied to my post. To the Suboxdoc ; yes, I think my Dr. is open to a discussion. In fact he mentioned that tapering has to be done very slowly with his supervision. I guess my fear is that he will cut my dosage down too far and I will be stuck with that dosage until I see him the next month. Also on the issue of testing there have been times in the past when I forgot to take a dose, or could not because I left it at home. There have also been days when I just did not want to take a my normal full dosage. Right now I am at 8mg per day, 1/2 in the AM 1/2 in the PM. I was down to only 4mg per day usually 1/2 strip in the AM but I started feeling depressed so I went back up to 8mg after a month or so. Is this purely psychological, withdrawl or both? I guess I just have to have a deeper discussion with him as to which approach he would take.
To Amy, thanks for the suggestion. I will ask him about doing a next day test to check my metabolism. Especially if he makes another remark about my levels.
To Shawn, I know how you feel, it is tough. But , if you have not figured it out there are a whole lot of really good people on this forum with the knowledge and skills to help support you in your efforts. We help each other by talking about our own journeys and helping others without judgement. Good luck and hang in there.

Thanks, B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my first visit, started suboxone last week. I drank a few beers on Saturday and Sunday.
I wont do this again in fear of being kicked out of the program. My appointment is Thursday.
Will this be long enough to be clean ? thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just started on subs.was on 140 methadone.the sub doc did not ask me to taper and neither did I wants too.but the switch has been rough.waited 5days before I took my first sub and still had pws
Has been 10 days now and still no energy but at least not sick right? Still no sleep.how long before I get use to this dose? Please help.can anyone relate?