It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone this is where I need to be w/ positive ppl doing positive things not llike redlight or whatever...annnyhow, I have been on subs for about 4 yrs (my doc says that's too long) I have tapered from 1/2 strip to 1/3 strips to a third/quarter of a strip per day. I have a haf of a strip left and I'm wondering if I could stop taking them after this half strip. Which I can make last at least 3. Days...and use kpin AS NEEDED for withdrawal? Or should I try to get $ (150+meds) so prob at least 200$ I'm looking at spending for him to put me on a quarter a day...$ I don't have. ? I'm a single mother to a two yr old about to start a new job... what should I do I only have a limited amount of kpins

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How many milligrams are the strips you're referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on the strips 8/2... I take a third and now down to 1/3 to1/4...I can see doc on the ninth but its 150$ plus Med and I have klonopins for WITHDRAWAL AS NEEDED! And ibuprofen.anything else I should get. For w/d

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually I've been taking a quarter strip for four days and I have a half. Strip left

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1/4 of an 8mg strip is 2mg. That is a pretty big dose to be jumping from. I know it doesn't feel that way to you, but when those wd's set in you will know what I mean. My advice would be to go back and try to taper down even further.

It is possible to jump from 2mg, but it won't be fun, and the WD can last a very long time compared to wd from other short acting opiates. That is why we always recommend to taper, taper, taper, before a jump! We usually recommend you get down somewhere under 1mg at the minimum, even tapering down to .25mg per day. That's a tiny amount, and the best way to minimize WD symptoms.

I understand your impatience to get off. But it will be much easier for you if you give yourself a little more time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi G.O.E.,

I agree with QHorsegal here and suggest you try and taper lower if possible. I know you don't have the extra money to get more subs or pay for the doctor visit, but you will more than likely have to decide if you want to get more subs, or jump at a fairly high dose and deal with withdrawals that are probably going to be a bit more than you might think.

I tried jumping from 2mg myself, a few times actually, and had to get right back on it. I was able to make it for 3-6 days, but then is where the withdrawals begin due to the very long half life of the subs. They hang in your system for days and then withdrawals set in and get started.

I'm NOT saying you can't do it, or be successful jumping from 2mg because several have done that. If you believe you can handle the symptoms then you could give that a shot. But like Q advised and I personally believe, the best chance at getting off without any major symptoms is to taper as low as you possibly can.

Good luck and let us know how it goes and what you decide to do!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there GettinOffEm,

Welcome to the forum!!

Klonopin are only going to help your wd symptoms so much, and jumping from 2mg means the klonopin probably won't be too, too much help.

I know $200 may be hard to come up with, but it's your best bet to see your doctor again. You might should go with the 2mg strip. Depends on how fast you want to taper. If you think you can do a fast taper, a month worth of 2mg strips should be enough.

If you want to spread your taper out longer, you should probably go with 8mg strips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm 

Romeo has a good suggestion. Ask your doctor to help you taper slowly and to give you the 2 mg films instead of the 8/2's. They are so much easier to cut down to a very low amount. We also have a member here who sells a measuring tool for it. The website is: http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com Please keep in mind that I am in no way endorsing this product. All I did was supply the link. Some others have used it and found it helpful.

Just go very slow and steady. Read the stories of those who've gone before you here. We have several that didn't have too bad of time of it.

Most important, are you READY to be off Suboxone? What good does it do if you relapse on pain pills? Get a recovery program in place and know deep down if you are ready to do this. It is far better to stay on Suboxone than to relapse and reek havoc on you and your families life again. The chance of od'ing is far greater for those who have been on Sub because your tolerance is very high. People end up taking way too much of Oxy's or whatever just to feel them. Then they may OD trying.

Either way, welcome here and good luck on whatever you choose.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone for their input...today I took 1 mg and feel ok...jjust slightly uncomfortable. I'm going to take 1 mg until I can see my doc...if I can't then what? Is there anythng OTC I. Can take for ease? The weird thing is that my doctor told me at a quarter a day the rest is psycological/mental! And that I didn't really need them :\

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I was put on 16mg a day exactly three weeks ago only knowing about subs what I had heard and that they helped in three day doses when using. I did not know about the horrible wd and all that and would like to stop these right away as I know I will not use. I wanted to know that if after this long on them at that dose if I need to taper or if I could just jump? I don't want to have another thing to get sick off of so please help me asap as today I plan on starting cold turkey today and want to know if this is the best course of action and if I go cold if I will experienece withdrawals since I have been on them such a short period of time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GettinOffEm wrote:
Thanks everyone for their input...today I took 1 mg and feel ok...jjust slightly uncomfortable. I'm going to take 1 mg until I can see my doc...if I can't then what? Is there anythng OTC I. Can take for ease? The weird thing is that my doctor told me at a quarter a day the rest is psycological/mental! And that I didn't really need them :\

I'm sorry to be ugly, but your doctor is full of s**t! My doctor told me he same thing, they only say this because they haven't been through it themselves and that is what the people with RB tell them!

There is an element of it that is mental...but there is a huge part of it that isn't. A positive attitude will carry you a long way, but you will still have alot of physical pain to deal with.

There really isn't anything else we can say to make you understand this until you actually experience it yourself. You will quickly see what we are talking about when you go a few days without it. And you also need to remember that a few days on 1mg isn't really jumping from 1mg. Your body takes at least a week to adjust to the lower doses, so you have some stacked in your system still from when you were taking the larger amounts. You will actually be jumping from a dose of more like 2mg when you get right down to it. I'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear. But a slow taper is really the best way to go if you want to avoid WD.

As for OTC meds to help. There really isn't anything that I have found that will make much difference besides immodium for the stomach issues. The all over body aches, temp fluctuations, and restless legs/body are going to hit you no matter what you take. Clonodine is the best med to adress some of these, but even that won't knock it out and it is a prescription only med.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

invictus wrote:
I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I was put on 16mg a day exactly three weeks ago only knowing about subs what I had heard and that they helped in three day doses when using. I did not know about the horrible wd and all that and would like to stop these right away as I know I will not use. I wanted to know that if after this long on them at that dose if I need to taper or if I could just jump? I don't want to have another thing to get sick off of so please help me asap as today I plan on starting cold turkey today and want to know if this is the best course of action and if I go cold if I will experienece withdrawals since I have been on them such a short period of time.

Hi Invictus,

I'm sorry that you got into sub treatment without fully understanding what it would entail. That's why it's so important to do your research before getting into any kind of treatment! I'm sorry to say that even after only three weeks you are going to have to go through some WD when you come off the suboxone. 16mg is a very high dose to jump from. Your receptors are completely saturated with this dose(and then some), and of course you feel great and are sure you won't go back to using judging by how you feel now. I'm afraid that when you jump you are going to get hit pretty hard with WD and the cravings for your DOC will return with a vengeance.

If you want to get off the subs you can probably jump down to 8mg per day with no problems. Then, after a week or so you can aggresively taper from there. But I would say you definitely need to taper to a lower dose before you try to just jump.

It would be a good idea for you to start your own thread in the introduction section so that you can receive specific advice to you. You won't get the attention to your question that you need when you post it in someone else's thread. Just go to introductions and hit the button that says "start new topic".

Welcome to the forum. It would be a good idea for you to read a little bit in the "stopping suboxone" section. That will help you understand a bit better what you are getting into when you discontinue suboxone treatment.

We are glad to have you!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

invictus wrote:

Hello and welcome!

If you could begin your own thread it would provide you with many more responses than you will get here on the thread of another member. We understand being new you didn't realize this of course. Go to the Stopping Suboxone section and get your new thread going.

If you jump from the 16mg dose your now on it will most likely put you in a world of hurt. The symptoms won't even begin for several days due to the very long half life of the subs and then you will be very sick dealing with all kinds of symptoms. It's possible you could get by and go on your way, but not very likely and the odds are definitely against you. I would highly recommend tapering the dose down to as low as you can possibly get it as in .25mg or so.

You could taper a number of different ways according to how many subs you have. Going from 16mg down to about 4mg is usually not too bad and any symptoms will be completely manageable. Then you will probably need to slow down going from 4mg to about 1mg, and even slower the rest of the way after that. This seems to work great for lots of people here including myself.

I was on 24mg and got down to 2mg fairly easy with minimal symptoms. Then I went about 3-7 days between doses after that. Some take a week or even 2 weeks between reductions. It all depends on how YOU personally want to do it, and what symptoms you can, or can't handle. Might be a trial and error type of thing for you at some point.

But I definitely would NOT jump from 16mgs. No way would I ever do that or recommend anyone do it. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

Also, 3 weeks is not very long to be on sub therapy. What were your using habits like previously that led you to Suboxone in the first place if your willing to share?

Begin that new thread of yours and you will get lot of support and suggestions!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks karen...the past two days I been tskin one today I took .50 i have enough for one more day at .50 and two days of .25. I dnt see doc un til. 10th sso I'm not. Gnna make it anyhow... ;( I believe in living in the vibration of love and have a good. Attitude about it...do u guys think ill b okay?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also just got flexeril a prerrt strong nuclear relaxer for use as needed ....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

*muscle