It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i dont know why but my last post is asking to download so i guess i will try and repost,I am wondering how exactly i would taper myself off with 14 pills if it is possible,right now i take 1 a day,but i really just cant afford to keep paying for this,i am for sure ready to stop but my doctor wants me to stay on them for 4months and like i said i just really can not afford to,so any advice would be appreciated thank you so much,
April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am no expert at tapering at all, but to start with, you could try to go as long as possible without taking your pill, and when you start to feel extra crappy, take as little as possible to make you feel better. You are taking 8mg a day? Well, take a day or two off (you really shouldn't even start to feel withdrawals by that time), and then when you feel icky, take 4mg, and if that makes you feel better, that's a good starting dose to taper with. You could even try to ease your withdrawal symptoms with 2mg, and see if that helps. You just need to take the absolute lowest dose possible that eases your withdrawals to the point where you can stand to function. 14 pills isn't a whole lot to work with. Is there any way that you could get like one more script after those 14 are gone? That would make things MUCH easier on you.

Just remember that it takes around three days for you to even feel a reduction in your dose. So if you dropped down to 4mg today, you probably wouldn't feel the impact of that reduction for another 72 hours or so. So you wouldn't even know for another three days whether or not it would be a good idea to make another drop in your dose.

How long have you been on Suboxone? The length of time that you spend on it will have an impact on how comfortable your taper will be. If you haven't been on it for more than a month, then you could probably taper with 14 pills and not feel too much pain. If you have been on Suboxone for more than a few months, then it would probably be in your best interests to do a slower taper so that you don't experience too much discomfort.

If you haven't been on it long enough to develop a dependence, then you could probably drop your dose drastically right now and be just fine. But you should probably be talking about this with your doctor so that he can help make this taper as comfortable as possible for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you for your advice,thats pretty much what i have been doing lately is only taking like a quarter at night when i start feeling kinda bad,but yea i can still get another prescription i go to my dr every 2weeks i just want to start tapering ASAP,i have been on them for a month and its already been really expensive

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand your dilemma. I hear you when you say that you can't really afford to stay on Suboxone. Please just hear me when I ask you, can you afford NOT to stay on Suboxone? After all, this is your life we are talking about. Other than food and shelter, I'd say Suboxone is going to be pretty high on your list. You may not want it to be this way, but unfortunately it is. The relapse rate for pretty much anyone who stops Suboxone treatment after less than one year is really high. You did not give your age but I'm guessing you may be in your 20s. If that is the case, the relapse rate goes even higher. In fact, for someone say 22 or 23 years of age, it is nearly 100% that you will find yourself back abusing opiates if you stop your Suboxone so soon. There is a reason that your doctor wants you to stay on it longer. He/she knows that they are talking about.

I know that you don't want it to be this way. You want to be able to no longer have to take Suboxone. You want to be able to taper off quickly and just somehow magically be cured. I'm just so sorry to tell you that is very likely not going to happen. It just is not. There is a program that you can get your Suboxone for free, for at least a year. Have you asked your doctor about this? He might be able to help you with it. Is there family that can help you? Any other options? Again, we are talking about your life here. This could very well mean life or death for you. It could very well mean keeping you out of jail. It could very well mean keeping you employed and in a relationship with your family. Yes, it is that important.

Please, just consider putting your efforts towards figuring out how to stay on Suboxone for a while longer - rather than putting your efforts towards getting off of it in the next two weeks. I wish you all the best and honestly, I really do understand that it's not easy - not at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

donh wrote:
The relapse rate for pretty much anyone who stops Suboxone treatment after less than one year is really high. You did not give your age but I'm guessing you may be in your 20s. If that is the case, the relapse rate goes even higher. In fact, for someone say 22 or 23 years of age, it is nearly 100% that you will find yourself back abusing opiates if you stop your Suboxone so soon.

All that I can say is BTDT and I'm waaaay over 22 or 23. Donh, is 100% right on, at least that was my experience after trying to get off Sub after a little over three months. Finances were a strong deciding factor for me too.

I was very fortunate after my relapse. I had been trying to quit on my own, not wanting my family to know about my addiction. After I stopped Sub and relapsed, I knew that I had to tell my family. I thought that I could do it without the Suboxone. I quit c/t but then couldn't stay clean (It's not the quitting that's so hard, though that's no piece of cake. For me, it was the staying quit). But, I'm one of the fortunate ones. I have insurance and, once my family was aware of my addiction, I could utilize it. I was able to get back on Suboxone.

Quote:
There is a program that you can get your Suboxone for free, for at least a year. Have you asked your doctor about this? He might be able to help you with it. Is there family that can help you? Any other options? Again, we are talking about your life here. This could very well mean life or death for you. It could very well mean keeping you out of jail. It could very well mean keeping you employed and in a relationship with your family. Yes, it is that important.
This is said so well that I really feel it warrants repeating.

You wrote that you've been seeing your doctor every two weeks. That isn't the norm once the initial induction period is over. Maintenance appointments are usually only once a month. My first Sub doctor required cash payments and the first month was nearly $400. It was $150/month thereafter. I don't know what kind of money you are looking at. I just really hope that you are able to find a way to do what is best for your recovery without having to sell yourself short because of finances. You are in a tough spot.

I realize that there are many people who get clean using 12-step programs and no replacements. My hat is off to those folks (my sponsor is one). That being said, I really don't think that I could have done it without Suboxone. I tried and I believe that I experienced what addicts face right before they choose to kill themselves rather than to relapse. It's horrible to want to die because you can't stay clean and you can't face relapsing again. I am so grateful that Suboxone was available to me. I wish you all the best in what you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

12 step programs never worked for me and it's not like I didn't try. I tried for YEARS to stay clean that way and I could just never get beyond a year at most without relapsing. I've been off drugs now for almost two years with the help of suboxone. I will not be coming off it.