It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey folks, the gist of my story is like so many others I've read on here. I've been on Sub for almost 5 years, have been tapering for about 8+ months now, and my last dose will be in about 5-6 hours from now. The biggest difference between my story and most others is that I have tapered to as absolutely low as you can go (using pills and not the liquid taper method, which I hadn't familiarized myself with enough at the time I began tapering). My current daily dose is probably single digit micrograms. I have no way to measure it exactly because it's all a guess, but I estimate that it's less than 1% of a MG per day (i.e. less than 10 micrograms). It's basically a dust particle (one dose per day).

When I began my taper I was at 4mg per day (2 doses of 2mg each). I didn't have a taper plan of any sort and to be honest, I didn't even put too much thought into it. I just began reducing by about .25mg per day every couple of weeks, which I thought would be small enough drops for my body to not really notice it. Tapering was easier than I thought it would be and didn't really become too challenging until I got to about .5mg per day. The real difficulties were when I got to .25mg per day and lower. That's when the mild insomnia began, the sneezing 15-20x per day (not that it's difficult to deal with, but just a sign that my body was going through W/D because sneezing was a constant for me when I've quit opiates in the past), the restlessness and anxiety for up to a few hours everyday, etc... That said, I never missed a day of work throughout my taper. My productivity has definitely suffered though because sitting at the CPU for several hours per day can be miserable when you're restless and feeling some hot/cold chills & sweats coming on.

I hadn't really planned to taper this low when I started my taper. I figured I would get down to .25mg per day and jump, just as most others do. In fact, I probably would have jumped from .25mg per day if I had the time off of work. I was finally able to get some time off this week, so until I could get that time off, I just figured I would continue going lower & lower, hopefully getting to the point where I was stepping off of a step ladder rather than jumping, so to speak.

My biggest milestone was that 2 weeks ago, seemingly out of the blue, I went from dosing twice per day for almost 5 years to taking one dose per day. I didn't increase one of my doses either, I just skipped my morning dose one day because I felt like I didn't need it, and sure enough, I didn't. Since that day, I've been dosing once per day and there was never really any discomfort in the transition.

I really don't know what to expect because there aren't a lot of stories of people tapering to a few micrograms per day and then jumping. There have been a couple and they definitely seemed to have it a lot easier than somebody that jumps from .25mg per day or something like that. At this point, I'm not really worried about the physical W/D I'll be dealing with after tonight so much as PAWS. It's been well over 5 years since my body hasn't been fed an opiate (a little bit shy of 5 years of Sub + the Hydro habit that led to getting on Sub), so even though I've tapered so low, I'd be naive to expect a free ride from here on out (though I sure the hell am hoping for one :lol: ).

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and give a rundown of my story. I'm definitely a fan of tapering as opposed to jumping from a higher dose, however, my opinion will definitely change if I get hit with the rough stuff over the next few days & weeks. I've justified putting up with the insomnia, discomfort, etc... for weeks & months (to some extent) now in anticipation of the final chapter being much easier. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress and will be happy to assist if anybody needs help tapering or quitting. I know that positive stories have been EXTREMELY beneficial for me throughout my tapering process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI!! 8)

I just wanted to say GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

seriously, that takes some strength, to taper sucessfully like you have, to be on suboxone and not messing up with anything else for FIVE WHOLE YEARS!!!

Im just in awe............and hope that I have your strength one day, when/if I decide to taper.

Im really wishing your jump will be a great sucess, like your taper was. You seem to have a really good head on your shoulders.

Have you thought about what you'll do "post suboxone" to fight any cravings you may have???

Just a thought :wink:

seriously, wishing you the best of luck

[marq=right]STAY STRONG[/marq]

and we're here to listen, if you DO have a bad day, or need some reassurance, or just want to write a 500 word essay on how w/d and anxiety SUCKS.......
Ok?????

Keep Fighting :wink:

and welcome to the forum :!:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Dont worry
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know its easier said than done.. I also slow tapered(not as low as you).. the only advice I can give you is: exercise, keep your attitude as positive as can be, and know that you are stronger than a few specs of an orange pill.

Im on day 16 or 17, honestly need to sit down and figure out exactly when I quit.. but keeping positive(corny but watched inspirational videos, pumped up the music) and exercise have been a life saver..

Do not hesitate to pm or ask if you have any questions..

I concur stay Strong!!
And Congratulations, after a week you will have a new outlook on life...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

SubItLongTime - Great job! You should be very proud of yourself.

Just wanted to let you know. I tapered down to about 12 micrograms (thanks to DiaryofaQuitter's liquid taper thread) before stopping 2 1/2 years ago and felt no withdrawal and have not had to deal with PAWS at all, so you should be just fine.

Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Good for you SubitLongTime! (love your nickname also! lol) I am inspired and apprecative of the details you've shared and I will incorporate your story into my taper file. I wish you the best of health esp. through the next few weeks and I hope you will continue to update this thread as you see fit. I for one am very interested in any knowledge/experience that i can "soak in" and I'm sure i'm not the only one... To FeelingAlive and bronzebeta: thanks also for reinforcing in my mind that it can be done, maybe not easy squeezee but its do-able, keep up the good work! wish i could say that i'm right behind you but im not....yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thx for the words of encouragement & support, everybody! Even though it's been something I've dreaded having to go through for years now, I'm now extremely confident that I will succeed in quitting Sub. I took my last dose around 1AM last night and to be honest, I didn't even feel like I needed it, however, today was a busy day for me and I didn't want to risk not being able to get all of my work done. An interesting thing I've noticed is that I actually have less cravings now than at any other time in recent memory. I would have thought that after switching to 1 dose per day a couple of weeks ago, and the fact that I'm at miniscule doses, I'd be having some rough days, but that hasn't been the case at all. Maybe once you get to a low enough point and ride it out for a couple of weeks, there just isn't enough of the half life lingering in the body/receptors to cause the same kinds of cravings that were hitting me at higher doses? I don't know, but I'll certainly know in about 48-72 hours from now when the half life from my last dose has completely worn off.

Side note for people tapering or planning to... Prior to beginning my taper, I considered myself to be a wuss when it came to facing W/D symptoms, cravings, etc... I never wanted to deal with anything, so I wouldn't hesitate to take an extra little piece to prevent some chills from coming on, etc... Then all of a sudden, after years of wanting to quit, but never actually wanting to put in the work, I decided that I was going to begin the conscious effort of tapering. Rather than cave at the first hint of a craving, I learned to tough it out and just deal with it. What I came to realize was that the cravings rarely ever got too harsh to deal with. It did happen a few times where (due to not being able to cut up meticulous doses) I had to take a "cheat" crumb because of harsher than avg cravings, however, in the 8+ months I've tapered, I would say it happened a total of 4-5 times (and when it did, it didn't set me back - meaning the very next dose or day I resumed right where I left off prior to the cheat crumb). It's hard to articulate what I'm trying to say here, so bear with me... You know how when the first craving hits, whether it's a chill, sweat, feeling of restlessness, etc... you think to yourself "oh sh*t, I don't feel like dealing with this, imagine how it's going to be in an hour"? Well, I came to realize that during the taper process, the cravings rarely got harsher than they were in that initial stage/feeling. So if you take away the fear of what you'll be feeling like in an hour, or two, or three, etc... and say to yourself "if that's all it is, I can handle that", it will make you stronger and more confident. I know it did for me.

Amber - thank you very much! I haven't put too much thought into how I'll handle the post W/D stage (i.e. PAWS and beyond), but I have been through W/D and PAWS before so I have an idea of what to expect. I know this time will be different because previous dances with opiates were never years long like this stretch has been, but the previous experiences give me a hint of what I can expect. I won't lose sight of the fact that the depression is artificial and temporary. Also, knowing myself personally, keeping myself busy will be vital to my success, so I'll be making sure to do things like hit the golf course often, take some long bike rides, etc...

bronzebeta - Awesome to hear that you basically got a free ride after getting down to 12 micrograms. That is extremely encouraging news! Thx!

FeelingAlive & Dicespin - Thx again for the kind words & encouragement! Good luck to both of you too - I'm rooting for you guys. I'll continue posting about my progression as well and will be happy to help anyway I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update: It's now been over 100 hours since my last dose (i.e. early part of day 5) and things have pretty much been a best case scenario so far. I had anticipated taking Thurs & Fri off of work, but ended up going in & working full days on both because each morning that I woke up, I had felt fine and stayed that way throughout the days/nights.

I do get an occasional chill here & there, but it's literally as minor as the easiest stages of my taper were. Now I just hope that I get away scot-free on the PAWS aspect too, just as bronzebeta described & did.

Never in a million years did I think I would be attending a neighborhood party (last night) on day 4 of quitting Sub. 6 months ago if you asked me to describe what day 4 is going to be like, I would have said "I'll probably be fighting for enough energy to drag my ass to the medicine cabinet to take a vitamin or something". I know you've heard it before because I heard it a bunch of times too, but it truly can be done and it truly doesn't have to be as miserable as you're worried it will be. IMO, tapering to micrograms is absolutely the key to escaping with the most minimal effects possible. Also, since tapering with pills becomes too challenging in trying to determine exactly what dosage you're taking, I would recommend doing "Diary of a Quitter's" water taper method.

The only thing you have to learn to live with is mild-moderate discomfort for up to a couple - few hours a day (not even everyday, just some days), but it won't be debilitating the way hardcore W/Ds are. Plus, if this method gets me past PAWS scot-free the way it did for bronzebeta, then that is a huge bonus in & of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's good to hear another successful taper story. I hope it keeps going smoothly for you. Make sure to keep us updated on your progress!