It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi people am new here.

I have weaned down to 0.6 (Subutex). I've been on Subutex maintence for almost 6 years. I started around Christmas time 2005 if I can remember correctly. Anyway for the first 3 years I was taking anywhere between 8mgs-12mgs. The next year I weaned down to 1.3/1.4mgs...The next 2 years I have weaned myself sllowly to 0.6mg. So far it has been quite comfortable. No major symptoms to mention. I've been excercising a lot and always have done sport nearly everyday since I was sub. I believe this is one key factor why I have not had any major issues while weaning down. However when I don't work out and sit home all-day I do tend to feel a little sweaty and feel some minor aches and restless legs, but those days are few and far between because like I said I excercise regularly.

I also take my dose during the evenings when I feel my body starts up. I wake up around 5pm and take my dose around 5:30pm. I was never comfortable with day time/am dosing and for some reason I felt better doing my sub treatment in the evenings, any particular reason for this? anybody feel better in the evenings/nights while on sub then during the day?

Ok another issue is am a bit worried I have a lot of sub stacked in my system. I think this because mentally I still feel a little in a fog state, I dont feel too different mentally then when I was on the higher doses. I do feel better on the lower doses but I just would have thought I would have all these emotions flying over the place and some minor symptoms, but maybe am paranoid in assuming I have so much sub in my system that even on a small dose am still in a bup like fog state???.....Am worried since I've been taking sub for almost 6 years that it has put my brain in a fog like state so either it will take me years to feel clear headed or sub has re-wired my brain to a sub state.... I dont know..I pan to go down low as possible to 0.1 and skip days if it's possible..

Am also a bit worried about folks still getting some withdrawals and PAWS for months even after tapering down to small doses such as 0.2. I would have thought reducing so slowly and jumping from a small dose will somewhat give you less withdrawals, make you less depressed and lessen these PAWS?.... Anyway all in all Ive not suffered any major symtoms nor experienced any insomnia, but I would have been more assured if I did feel some clearity in my head where I felt emotions and even some mild withdrawals, so then at least that will tell me bup is leaving my system and am healing, if you guys understand what am talking about?

so any advice and opinions would be welcome... I also want to know what are good comfort meds to take after stopping bup if needed.

Thank you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Being that you've been on it for 6 years.. and tapered slow I think it's to be expected you are feeling OK right now. There will be withdrawal and PAWS when you quit.. that being said.. the way you have tapered (and can even continue to taper/skip days) will have greatly reduced the severity.

Post subject: Your taper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read your post and I am sorry I have no answers for you as I am on sub and I am on a taper myself. I am at the end of week 1 on 3mg. I see that you said that you taperes to .6 over the past 2 years. I would think from reading other posts in this forum that 0.6 is a nice low dose. Have you read the Stopping Suboxone section? There is a lot of good info. I think you would benefit from reading.
I have a question about your taper. What was your method? How much and how often would you taper? Did you just listen to your body or did you have a guide or a system to taper. I am just curious since I am really wanting to taper as quickly as I can with minimal w/d. I know I must be patient, but I have only been on sub for 5 months. I do not think I am invincable because I have not been on it for as long as some others. I would hope it is to may advantage however, even if very a small advantage. Any info you could give me reguarding your success thus far would be sincerely appreciated.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The stacking effect is a consideration, but the longer you taper down, the less it will be such a concern. Especially at the dose you're at now.

It sounds like you spent a year weaning down pretty slowly. This should serve you well when it comes to experiencing withdrawals, both acute and post-acute. It's more a matter of how slowly someone gets to a low dosage, not how low they get. If someone spent two months going from 16 mg down to 1, but you spend a year getting to the same place, then in theory, you should have an easier time with w/d than the other person.

If you feel better dosing in the evening, then so be it. Whatever works for YOU is best.

You said your head feels a bit foggy. I might have an explanation for you. But first, did you feel that way on higher doses? It's possible that it's because you are now below the ceiling (under 4 mg). At such low doses, your receptors aren't kept saturated so when you dose, you could be "feeling" your dose. It's pretty normal for that to happen...or I should say, it's not uncommon for that to happen. This is why for people on maintenance it's better to be on a dose comfortably above the ceiling to keep the receptors saturated all the time. Right now yours are not and there are lots of ups and downs and that is likely what you are feeling.

I hope this helps. It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep up the good work. I'm interested to see how your taper continues.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
The stacking effect is a consideration, but the longer you taper down, the less it will be such a concern. Especially at the dose you're at now.

It sounds like you spent a year weaning down pretty slowly. This should serve you well when it comes to experiencing withdrawals, both acute and post-acute. It's more a matter of how slowly someone gets to a low dosage, not how low they get. If someone spent two months going from 16 mg down to 1, but you spend a year getting to the same place, then in theory, you should have an easier time with w/d than the other person.

If you feel better dosing in the evening, then so be it. Whatever works for YOU is best.

You said your head feels a bit foggy. I might have an explanation for you. But first, did you feel that way on higher doses? It's possible that it's because you are now below the ceiling (under 4 mg). At such low doses, your receptors aren't kept saturated so when you dose, you could be "feeling" your dose. It's pretty normal for that to happen...or I should say, it's not uncommon for that to happen. This is why for people on maintenance it's better to be on a dose comfortably above the ceiling to keep the receptors saturated all the time. Right now yours are not and there are lots of ups and downs and that is likely what you are feeling.

I hope this helps. It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep up the good work. I'm interested to see how your taper continues.

I wish I can share your enthuasim man..But the stories I keep reading are people having this horrible extreme depression once they stop bup. even after a long slow taper jumping off from a really low dose..

Some people say tapering for a year or so only adds more sub time? only adds sub in your system?...Am on 0.5/0.4 now so how long should I take to get to 0? am thinking perhaps 2 months? because this gives enough time for all the previous sub doses and half life to come out of my system correct? or am I simply adding more sub? Thanks for your words and I am really trying my best to be optimisitic, but stories of people feeling bad even after a slow taper dont help..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're at 0.5 mg, then you should be able to taper off in the period you mentioned - 2 or so months. But try to listen to your body with regard to the pace you take. It's not really adding suboxone to your system to continue tapering. You're using it to continue slowly removing the last of those opiates from your brain. This is what your brain needs - a slow removal so it doesn't get a shock to the system, initiating worse withdrawals.

Some people do get depression when tapering off. It depends - everyone has their own withdrawal symptoms. Some people actually go onto an antidepressant if they know that's one of their issues.

As for comfort meds, do you have any Clonodine yet? You can get that from one of your doctors. It's a BP med used off-label for opiate withdrawals. Have you been exercising? It helps withdrawals in that it releases your own endorphins which is exactly what you need. Hot baths also are said to help a lot. Just try to keep busy and active and most of all DISTRACTED. The more time you have on your hands to do nothing, the worse it will most likely be.

Good luck and keep us posted. I still think you're doing really well. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.