It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: taper thread...........
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i am new to this forum so i will give some background info before i talk about my taper.
i have been roaming around this forum for several months, i just recently started posting.

i was addicted to pain meds for approx 3.5 years, maybe 4 if you dont count the times i quit for several weeks at time. I began taking pain meds when i hurt my back and became addicted quickly. I started off with loritabs, moved up to perks, and then to oxys. at my worst i took 4-5 oxys a day along with 9-12 mg of xanax. i was perscribed xanax but went through my full script in 15 days. i went to detox twice, once for zanax and once for pain pills. after getting out of detox i felt so shitty that i couldnt function, even after the main qitthdrawals were over. i felt so shitty, nervous but tired, couldnt sleep but didnt want to be awake, couldnt stop yawning and so on and so forth....we all know how that goes. anyways i felt so bad that i relapsed and my dr suggested suboxone. i really feel that suboxone saved my life. basically i started off on 12 mg a day, it made me tired and constipated so i after 2 months i went down to 8 mg, then i did a quick taper cause im an idiot and freaked out about a dumb drug test for a job, i didnt want it showing up becuase it was for a govt job. I tapered myself quickly and didnt have much of an issue but i only got down to about 1 mg a day. after realizing that i didnt need to taper without my drs permission i went back to taking 4-8 mg a day, slowly, not all at once. anyways my dr has started a slow taper and i wanted to record how i felt and everything, i think it might help me to stay motivated as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome, Bitzy. We're glad you decided to post. A lot of people do what you're doing - a diary so to speak of their tapering. It helps other people who want to taper and might not know how. Good luck with your taper and do keep us posted. Again - welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum Bitzy,

Recording how you feel and everything during your taper is a great idea. You will be able to benefit from it and others will too.

I'm just curious, you are no longer on any benzo's? Just taking Suboxone?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

correct ^...i am off benzos, have been since 1/2009. i took them several times after detox but never got addicted to them again. i know it sounds crazy but when my dr prescribed me benzos in 2006 i never knew they were addictive, i didnt know anything about them. Several years later my script ran out and i was sick and i realiized that my dr never even told me to be careful with benzos. i dont really like benzos, i dont crave them really, except if im really streessed ill think wow a zanax would be great now, but i dont think ill have issues with staying away from them once im off subs. obviously ill have to careful, but im more worried about pain pills.

anyways, about the subs - my dr is going to perscribe me the 2mg starting next month. so far i feel good, im only on 4-6mg a day, trying to stick more to 4, i always wakeup at 5 or 6am and start to feel a little sweaty so i take my first dose early and then im usually good till 4 or 5 at night. i metabolize pretty fast though because if i dont take anything for over 15 hours i start to feel real crappy. anyways, im off to work.......ill post later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

so i felt pretty good yesterday, i went to work and ended up taking another quarter at work. i cant wait for the 2mg pills because breaaking the 8mg into quarters sucks. yesterday, althought not exact i took approx 6mg and today im aiming more towards 4 mg. i woke up at 8 am today and felt the legs cramps (one of the first signs of w/d) but usually my w/d symptoms early in the morning depend on when i stake my last dose. sometimes i like taking the dose real early cause i can just feel it taking awat my sypmtoms and i sleep so good for the next two hours. I usually have to take sleeping pills to sleep. anyways, ill update later.

i was going to see if i can get answer here before i start another thread. can anyone give me a good, easy way to understand what addictioon is? I have tried to explain it to my boyfriend before but my explanation isnt that good. I bascially went on about the disease aspect of it and the switch being flipped onblah blag blah. i m looking to see if anyone can give me a laymans term def of what addiction is. im really trying to let me boyfriend know that this isnt a lack of willpower, its a disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://archives.drugabuse.gov/PDF/Persp ... urobio.pdf

This link is courtesy of HatMaker. I grabbed it from the Why The Anger? forum, What is Addiciton? thread.

It is a long article at 9 pages and kind of wordy at times, but it rocks! Don't worry too much about the chemical names, just give it a quick read and if you're anything like me you'll be floored.

Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

so i didnt update yesterday....but i had a great thanksgiving. I was so happy to be sober !1 i know i sound like a crazy person but this was my first thanksgiving sober and i never imagined i would like it so much. I never knew i would enjoy making turkey and spending time with my boyfriend, but it has happened, and i was very happy for everything i have.

so i took 4 mg yesterday, felt really good, im going to try to stay at four but im not going to pressure myself to stay there, so i guess we will see how i feel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

havent posted in a little bit so i thought id update everyone. anyways, ive been steady at 4mg and feeling pretty good. I am going to stay at four mg for a couple weeks to make sure everything evens out and there is no after effect in terms of feeling crappy. im more excited to get the 2mg pills because it will be easier for to keep track of how much im taking. At this point im guessing at quarters and most of us know that can be complicated when your breaking pills up by hand. I think it will be easier to take the 2mg and be done with it. Otherwise, Im pretty happy today, work sucked but ive made some big decisions today that i feel really good about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I remember breaking my 8's and never getting it quite right, I think you'll like the 2's too.

So, you made some big decisions today that you feel really good about...care to elaborate?

Glad to hear you're doing OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey romeo!! lol im sorry i was talking about decisions and gave no details. Basically i got fed up with my job, lately i have been having these issues with wanting to quit but qorrying that i will be more miserable when i quit. At this point i hate my job but the people i work closely with are great. I dont want to trade it in for a shitteir job with crappy people. Anyways i made the decision to go to a temp agency and apply like crazy for jobs. One of the jobs im interviewing for is a doc processor it pays really really good. I also decided that if i dont have a job by jan 15th im going to quit and figure it out. I dont like to not have anything as a back up plan but at this point its not worth the misery. I also am feeling good at 4 mg a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

like you bitzy been wondering around these forums for weeks! just kinda reading and learning. this is my first post so
hope im doing this right.before my taper progress a little backgruond. i will make this short been addicted to opiates
for 20yrs I also take klonopin but have pretty much stayed on the same dose for 15 yrs I know im dependent on them
but it really dont bother me mentally i mean when my tollerance starts to get a little high I just start exercising like riding
a bike or walking it does wonders!! But no need 2 mention amounts but 20yrs a pretty good habit!! started with suboxone
about a year ago and like a lot of people say have been kept on to high a dose!! my doc dont care he gives me what I ask for but was mostly at 16 to 24mg a day Im keeping a journal have been able 2 drop to 8mg for this will be day 5 no problems yet and I dropped real fast so im just gonna go by how I feel,wait on half life 2 catch up and drop again.
thanks to everyone here this is my first post but ive been reading alot of great advice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome, filobedo - we're glad you decided to join. Thanks for sharing some of your story with us. I hope you find lots of support and info here - I know I have. Good luck on your taper...Do keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks hatmaker for the fast response!!! was just going writing in my taper journal. eailier I wanted 2 take more so bad!
but its true you do feel better on a lower dose so I have to remember that. so many times during the past year I would take
more just from habit(thats just what we are use to) but would always feel worse!! the research Ive done about suboxone
I didnt realize how incredibly strong this med is. but man it has saved my life I went from living in a storage building to having the best job Ive ever had great family life everything has changed!! I think Im ready to come off of bupe but if I have to keep some around when I do get cravings than Im fine with that. Oh before I forget after 5 days at 8mg can anyone give any advice on my next drop thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

filobedo - One general idea of tapering is to drop 10%, I think every couple or few weeks. The lower and slower you go, the less discomfort you should have. Have you been to an addiction counselor or a therapist since you got "clean" (hate that word)? They are great for helping to develop new coping skills and how to deal with cravings and triggers. Many people on this site have gone off suboxone and are still doing really well. Feel free to start your own taper thread. Again, welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you very much for this thread. I'm new for this site. In future I want participate properly. I'm also wanted increase my knowledge hope everybody help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey!!! i thought my taper thread got hijacked!! JK!1 i really thought it would be on page 2 because i hadnt posted recently but when i saw all these posts i felt all warm and fuzzy inside. anyways i stopped posting for a little because i was holding steady at 3/4 of a pill or 6mg. i am on the film now and i am on a taper schedule that my dr wrote out for me. by this time next month i should be at 2-4mg. i am going to update regularly on this thread so that everyone can see what kind of progress i am making and how fast i am making it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i have been taking my subs for the last five days as directed by my doctors taper calendar. 3/4 -1 day... 1 pill the second day and back and forth for a week, then down to a half - 1 day and 3/4 -2 day and back and forth for a week. i will post in the next couple days and update. so far so good and the film strips have really helped me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i havent updated in a while....i like many others on this board seem to want to get off subs and taper and all that but i seem to have a mental block. I feel that i want to quit but i have this other side of my head where i think i want to stay here because i am comfy where i am at. Anyways the point is that i am tapering and im fine with it but i have these other fleeting thoughts and they scare me sometimes because they talk me out of tapering. ugh anyways, i feel good about where i am at but i think way to much about the future and this is my downfall. so im at 1/2 or 4 mg and will stay at 4mg for a couple more weeks. ahhhhhhhhh that felt good to get those crazy thoughts out of my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i havent updated this thread for a while and i wanted to let everyone know that im down to 2-3 mg a day. ive been at this dose for three weeks. its hard to tell becuase im cutting the strips into smaller pieces and i know its less then 4 mg but not sure where it falls after that. anyways, its ben good, some days i really want another dose mentally but usually i can occipy myself and forget about it. i usually wait to take the second tiny piece until i go to bed so that i dont wake up feeling shitty at 4 am. i think my dr is goning to bump me down a little more in the next couple weeks so ill update soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for that update and congratulations on your progress. I'm tapering too. It's not easy, but it's also not as awful as I thought it would be. I'm down to 1.25-1.5 a day....basically, I'm at 1.5 but on days that I don't need that much I take a bit less. I do the same thing as you and save a chunk for before bed (.5 mg). If I don't I feel awful in the early morning hours, and I HATE that!!!! I hate waking up with that anxious, clammy, dried-out feeling. It SUCKS and it really psyches me out to wake up and feel that way.

Are you on the 8-mg strips? I'm asking because you said you're not sure what dose you are taking. If you get the 2-mg ones, you'll find that it's really easy to break them accurately, even into .25 pieces and smaller. Here's what I do. I wash my hands really well and dry them completely...even under my nails. You don't want any oils/dirt/water. Then, I take the film and fold it in half but immediately open it back up so it doesn't stick to itself. Then, I fold just the creased part a bit more and it rips in half very easily, giving me 2 1-mg pieces. Then, since I'm a wimp and can only handle small drops, I break those pieces up too using the same method. I'd really recommend (if you aren't already) trying to do small drops, because it gets tough to drop whole milligrams...or even half a milligram.

Good luck!!

laddertipper