It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys, it's me again.

I know I am not very active on these forums and I feel bad that I only come here to post when I need help, but you guys are a very good community and I know that there are alot of suboxone experts here. I am in a pretty bad situation here and I was looking for some advice if anyone is willing to give it.

Some background: I've been taking suboxone for about 3 years now. Started at 16mg and during that time I moved down to 4mg where I currently am now. Been on that for awhile now. I was seeing my doctor every 2 months and I've been 100 percent compliant the whole time. He has pushed for me to lower my dose occasionally, and I have in the past, but about 6 months ago I asked him to move me up to 4mg again and he did.

Well.

I go in for my 2 month follow up visit and everything is different. Receptionist says they are now part of "Franciscan Health Group" (whatever that is) and that I would need to fill out some new paperwork and that the billing would be a little different. I spent 30 mins on that paperwork, went and pissed in a cup (as usual, doctor almost never actually tests me though, just has me piss in the cup), then was led to an exam room to wait for the doctor.

Doctor comes in and does his little exam thing, asks me how I'm doing. I say fine, I feel good and stable. He says, great, we'll keep you at your same dose. He goes to get the prescription made out, comes back in and hands it to me, shakes my hand and says: "oh, by the way I just wanted to tell you I'm leaving for the Air Force, since you've been a good patient this will give you time to find another doctor". HOLY CRAP. He just dropped a bombshell on me.

He gives me my 2 month prescription and just says, goodbye. I asked him if he could refer me to another doctor. He looks away and says no. I ask him if he will prescribe me for 3 months to give me more time to find another doctor. He mumbles something about having to treat all the patients the same and walks away.

So he just dropped me on the street with 120 2mg suboxone pills. He also did a drug test on me that visit and now I have a 400 dollar bill with him even though I am never going to see him again. Why would he drug test me knowing he was dropping me?

So my real question is, how should I taper? I called around and I cannot find a doctor within 100 miles that is accepting patients or that does not run some super funky scheduling system (visits every week, 200 bucks a visit). So the other option is to taper. I have 120 2mg pills and would like to know what would be the best way to do it. Keep in mind I will probably have to work at my job throughout the whole thing. No time off work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That really sucks, but 120 2mg should be enough to taper from 4mg. Look at the 3 threads directly above your post under Stopping Suboxone".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, that sucks. Guess that's the price I pay for not being active in the community. Thanks for the views anyways.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not sure you're gonna read this, but I'll try anyway.

It sucks that you are losing your doc and the piss test when he is leaving is so ridiculous!! He either did it because he wanted to get the results before you got your script or he did it because he wanted to squeeze a little more money out of you. Doctors can make a lot of money on those tests. My doctor lied to me and said my insurance required the UA's, but I called and it's not true. They don't require any. I think it's funny how much concern there is for the 'addict' but then doctors will up and leave or drop people and don't seem to look into whether those same poor addicts will even be able to find another doc!!

I ended up in the same boat as you with no doctor anywhere close by and having to drive really far to see my doc. It's such a pain, so I'm tapering too. You are starting at 4, which isn't too high, so I think 120 tabs is plenty and I also think you're lucky to have the small tabs. Some people get stuck trying to taper using the gigantic ones. Since you are starting at 4 and have been there a good while, you should be able to get down to 2 mg pretty easily. It may get tougher from there, but try to get to 1 mg as soon as you can, so you can hold there a while. It's different for everyone, but it got hard for me at 1 mg, and I just wasn't expecting that completely. If you can get down to 1 soon, you will have plenty to make it the rest of the way off.

Be vigilant about recording your dose everyday, so you can see your progress and know exactly how much you're taking and how long you've been at each dose. You may get some symptoms between here and 2 mg, especially between here and 1 mg, but try your best to get low and then hold it a while. Your body may throw up a road block at some point, but it you can get to a low enough dose, that roadblock won't eat into your supply too badly. Try to cut your tabs accurately, but if you mess up, don't throw it out! Just use the rest of the tab in the following days to average out correctly. Save any severely messed up tabs and dust from cutting them. I have really old tab pieces/dust that is my back up to my back up Sub, just in case. It's better to plan for it to take longer and then be pleasantly surprised. I've realized that, even at between .25 and .375 mg, I'm not even on the verge of being done yet. I could jump from here, but I wouldn't be able to sleep or do much for a while. As you said, you have to work, so you'll need to taper pretty low. It's pretty hard to grasp the true strength of Suboxone until you get to the lower doses. It's kind of a rude awakening, I guess.

If you want to drop your dose rapidly and are committed to it, try only dosing when you need it. This works really well if you have the drive to stick with it. You can take 1 or 2 mg at a time and wait until your body is demanding more, even if that is in the middle of the night. Once again, you have to write down how much you took in each 24 hour period. Maybe you could do this and give it your all and then tell yourself that once you get to 1, you can take a deserved break. Think about it. If you were at 1 mg, your supply would last you 240 days. :D

BTW, do you have any Clonidine? It helps TONS with some of the symptoms. Maybe since your doc ditched you, he'd have to decency to call a script in for you, just in case you need it. Also, you can order it online from Canada, but it takes a small forever, even with the pricier shipping, so order it now and order a bunch of it.

Stick around, because we will help you. :D

laddertipper