It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ratt396 wrote:
Another question I have is as u cut down ur dose of suboxone does the brain heal it self to that point? Like make more of the things that give u energy so it only uses less sub & more normal brain energy each time u go down in dose? Hope I worded that right.

I have no idea on that one. Mine was so quick my brain didn't have time to even think about it.

And I think what you are asking is if you do a slow taper will the withdrawals compound on themsevles with each drop in dosage making the withdrawals worse and worse with each drop or will the withdrawals come with a drop in dosage and then dissapate before the next drop so that they aren't as bad. If that is the question then I believe it would be the second. Suboxone tapering, if done properly, is supposed to greatly reduce withdrawal symptoms and I have read some accounts where people said they had no withdrawals at all.

I can tell you're nervous about this so the best advice I can give you is take it one day at a time and focus on what you need to do on that particular day. Tomorrow is a new day and from what I have experienced days of withdrawal are like snowflakes, no two are the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah that's what I was asking. I think ur right on the second one its been almost two weeks since I went from 2 or 2.5mg to 1mg per day and the last 3 days I have felt normal just egdey but that's from just finding out how suboxone works. So yeah I think ur right. I'll let u know over the next coulpe months. Should be down really low by then. And then bombs away I'll b jumping hope to from .2mg thanks man nickelback is good too axualy radio play right now is pretty dam good. Ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ratt, read my taper thread. If you do it right you should only have a few days of withdrawal with each decrease in your dose. Then you level out for a week or two before you drop again. It's possible to taper off sub with minimal withdrawal. I did it and I wrote a detailed post on how to do it.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reading back over your posts in this thread, I do not see a clearly stated reason for tapering off the suboxone. I will not debate with you or anyone else and try to convince someone that they should stay on it for life, or even for a long time...

But I have to ask myself, am I ready to stop? Is this REALLY the right time? What are my reasons? etc... ask yourself that.

Here are some thoughts I posted on this subject last night:

rationale wrote:
I recall the breath of fresh air on that sunny/cold January morning as that was the first day that I felt "normal" after detox and suboxone tapering. I was taking NOTHING. I had ZERO prescriptions. I was so excited to be chemical free! It felt so amazing, that I felt I could fly, or at worst be a normal functioning taxpaying member of society. I had to tell them!

The group I was attending at the time looked like a clinical trial! Trazadone, seriquil, suboxone, depacoe, lomotil, to name a few. I was so positive after that experience outside in the fresh air I announced that "pharmacological americana" had "our number" and subsequently our wallets! "THERE IS NOTHING THAT SUNSHINE, PROPER NUTRITION, and EXERCISE CAN'T CURE!" I gloated proudly while inside patting myself on the back for being the only normal one, not all doped up...

Less than 3 weeks later I was nodding out in a meeting telling people I was so happy to be clean. I was so embarrassed that I had relapsed, it took me a while to own it. I would quit and exceed treatment requirements for recovery related activities (meetings, mediation, etc), but it was NEVER enough. I changed religions, I moved, I quit my Investment Banking job, I changed a LOT of things. But I could never silence the voice in the back of my brain. Sometimes it would come more often that not, and sometimes it was a bit more rapacious than others; regardless of its ferocity, it always EVENTUALLY won out. I could fight it for a bit, though I could not sustain.

I would use, and quit, and use again, and THE FUCKING COMPULSION TO DIE beat my soul to oblivion. I had to change something else.... Suboxone fit that void for me, it quelled the compulsion, it softened the voice to virtually inaudible chaff in the wind.

**This is where I get to the point**

I demanded a taper schedule from my Doctor, I told my group that chemically induced recovery was fine, but the unbearable side effects, and the fact that I will still be taking "drugs" didn't sit with me... so guess what I did? I relapsed. AGAIN... It was not until I could commit in my mind to NOT putting an expiration date on my recovery could I truly focus on recovering and repairing my damaged life (not to mention brain). Planning my 'taper-to-freedom' was always telling my brain to mark its calendar for when it could sneak up behind me and talk me to get us some drugs. Much time has passed since I committed to not committing to a date of quitting suboxone, and I am still in therapy (individual and group), but can say that I can be honest with myself, and others around me. I am finding happiness, and finding peace with who I am, and being OK with it all. Will I stop taking suboxone (again) someday? Couldn't say. Not thinking about it. Not planning to think about it. I will deal with mañana, mañana. Today, I am happy. I can think clearly, and I choose to live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My reson for wanting off subs is that. yes I don't have to right now it is a stressful time in my life. But part of the stress is that I am on a drug still & that bothers my wife a lot and me. And I have been sober most of my life up until 1 1/2yrs ago 1yr on pain pills for fun no other reson. 6 months on subs. I feel I can handle the want after I'm totally clean because I saw were it was going to end up. No life lose everything wife,kids, bussness. Everthing I've worked so hard for&i love. It is not worth that price to get high. My hole life I've been around drinking,pot,coke,crack thru friends & family. But never had a problem hang out& enjoying my self in what ever the situation was. Never had a prob saying no thanks I'm good.I'm not around that any more which makes it better. So I just want to b free from any drug including subs although they def helped me. gave me the time to look and see what I would miss out on in life.now I'm ready even with the stress I'm under now. But I will take my time with it and do it right. As much as I wish I could stop them tommorrow. Just won't happen that way. That is my main concern & stress I put on my self but I am working thru that by the help of u and others here. Thank u very much for ur help I do need it! Thank u ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well its friday still feeling good all day. still at 1mg per day for another week then drop again. Hope everyone is doing good and feeling good too. Ya'll take care! Ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone, well its almost friday just want to say hope everyone is doing good. I'm doing alright. I'm still at 1mg per day I had planned on droping my dose this coming week to .8 per day but I think I'm going to wait probalby another week. I've had a lot of stress the last week or two at home. Just need to get my thoughts right for my wife she still gets very mad at me for not thinking of her & the things she needs "time to study,a break from the kids just to get away for a little bit,& me not having to b told what she needs or needs done,etc..." I'm pretty bad when it comes to that besides the kids I love spending as much time with them as I can.my thing is I want her to do want ever she wants when she wants but I guess I come across with no feeling or with no feeling of u desurve this. I just say ok no prob. So she feels like its a prob for me I'm just not saying it. but I really have no prob with it.I'm just a quite person. So that is a very big stress in our life right now.and tring to quit smoking too. That's hard!we both quit at the same time she did it but I haven't yet still trying but tapering subs & quiting smoking at the same time very hard.and of corse I haven't told her I haven't totaly quit yet. Cuz that's another thing I've always let her down on many times bfor. But at least this time I'm still trying. Ever other time I said hell with it I'm smoking. Everything is just so on edge its hard to keep at anything now. Basiclly problems r this is my 4 or 5th chance at changing&showing her that I love her cuz I do just don't so it,trying to taper subs cuz I want off,can't talk to her about it she doesn't want to hear it,quiting smoking,busy busy busy work 10 or 12 hrs aday,she in school,2 kids 3&2 with no one to help us watch them just me or her,& trying to sell our house and find another house cuz kids will b going to school soon &want them in a better place where the schools r better,plus just ur nomal every day stresses. So long long long story short I think I'll wait another week or so to start tapering down more. Even thou I really want to now.that's part of my prob kept think about that & putting everthing else off.but on a good note going to a old hot rod show tommorrow with the family should b a good time.thank u to every one for listining to me ramble on&on&on! I'm alive! I feel good! I should wake up tommorrow lol. So its not that bad. I could b wondering where to get my next high but I'm not thank god! Ok I'll stop now. Thank u! Ya'll take care I'm always thinking of everyone. Ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am 
Glad you're hanging in there Ratt. Try to not feel bad about taking some extra time with your taper. It's better to do that than to rush it and end up in a bad place. And by that I don't even necessarily mean relapse. There's also the issue of making sure you do it slowly enough to avoid serious withdrawal symptoms. Sounds like you have enough stress in your life already and adding wd to the mix would just cause more issues with the wife, etc.
Just keep on doing the next right thing and everything should work out okay for you in the long run. Enjoy the car show with your family!