It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taper off
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi-

I have been on a low dose of suboxone for the past 3 years (.5 mg) I am planning on tapering down to .25 mg, then cutting off in about a month. Can anyone advise on what to expect? I know people who have gone cold turkey at much higher doses and it was pretty unpleasant. Any feedback would be appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Taper off
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi MrJive55,

You are in a great spot (in terms of dose level) to jump. We've had many members who've made the jump off .25mgs with minimal withdrawals. You don't get off free of all charges but it's totally doable. It's not like real acute withdrawals, like a from a short acting opiate. The hardest part comes a little later, when you're off the drug for a while, and realize that the real work begins when you have to learn how to live life all over again, with no help or cushion. The actual withdrawals, while totally annoying, are the easiest part. At .25, you'll most likely have some goose bumps, a bit of sneezing, yawning, restlessness, and some sleeplessness. You shouldn't have any nausea, tummy cramping, etc.

The fact that you've been on quite a low dose for years could do you some favors. My advice, though, is expect the worst. It's always better for your spirits when you think it's going to be worse than it is. That's what happened for me. I jumped at 1.5 and thought I was going to die. When I kept waking up alive :D , and not nearly in as bad a shape as I thought I would be in, it gave me even more motivation to keep it together. Personally, I was pleasantly surprised and I hope you are too. Just remember, your body needs some time to get back on track without any meds.

Good luck-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for your response. I'm in a great spot mentally, been clean and away from drugs( other than Suboxone) for 3 years. Also taking off 2 weeks from work to do this, so if I can't get out of bed for a week or so, no biggie.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It looks like you've been on .5mg for 3 years and plan on going to .25mg. I would think you will have almost zero wd because of the very low dose you've been on. I know a few people on this forum who quit from .5mg and had almost zero wd. They started by skipping days with their dosing and after just a few days, they quit altogether. A caveat, these people were in extremely good shape physically. A couple were runners and one an avid weightlifter.

With you being on a low dose and I assume clean for 3 years, do you mind if I ask why you're even quitting?