It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Returning to this forum from 3 years ago (Mar 2011) when I attempted a very fast taper from 24 mgs to 2 mgs a day over 10-12 weeks. Made myself QUITE sick but was able to stabilize at 8 mgs/day and recover. Stayed at 8 mgs/day until January 2014 when I started to taper again (although this time I know to go s-l-o-w!)
It helps to post here for accountability to myself, maybe see some old friends on here and possibly help someone else who is similar. I don't find a lot of folks who have been on Sub as long as I have.

So far:
Jan - Every other day 8 mgs/6 mgs
Feb - Every other day 6 mgs/4 mgs
Mar - Every other day 4 mgs/ 3 mgs
April - Every other day 3 mgs/2 mgs
May - 2 mgs/day (have had to take a small 1 mg piece twice for leg aches/sweating)

My plan is to not really have a plan :) I do not drop unless there are no WD symptoms and I feel very good at where I am at. I would like to be at .25 - .5 (or even lower...whatever it takes) by the end of the year and then start skipping days....hopefully, just kind of ease off from there and eventually start forgetting about it.

I am NOT afraid that I've damaged my brain and am NOT afraid of PAWS, withdrawal, etc...I was afraid after making myself sick 3 years ago but doing this much slower this time has shown me it is possible to go slow and be comfortable. I'm so proud to be doing this much more responsibly than last time and even though some tried to warn me on here that I was going too fast, I did not listen. In my case of dropping too fast and because of the 4 years I had been on Subs at that point, it was so stacked in me that it took weeks for the bad withdrawal to kick in. It slammed me with depression, anxiety and a feeling of the most horrid flu you had ever had in a 48 hour period and I ended up in the ER. Not going there this time!

It's good to be back.....wonderful to be at 2 mgs....hoping to start the next leg down sometime in June....probably to 1.75.

I have not told my doctor as I broached it with him in January and he seems to think I need it for depression/pain the rest of my life and he said "remember what happened last time". I now just have too many 8 mg strips that will be harder to cut when I get under 1 mg and I need to tell him so I can start getting the 2 mg or 4 mg strips. I see him in two weeks so I have time to think about how to tell him I'm at 2 mgs now.

romeo...if you are still here (or laddertripper)...I hope you see this and say hi!

CA

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi CA,
Great job getting down to 2mg! Romeo is still here; he has been helping me too :)
I have also been on subs for 7+ years (8-12mg) and have now tapered down to .5mg. I also have been going sloooowly until recently, dropped from 2mg to .5 since May 3 (this month). I am feeling pretty well (today), so it is doable! Good luck!!!
rca

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CLEARAQUA, how are ya!!!! Good to hear from you again!! I'll post more when my arms aren't so wiped out. (just got back from the gym. Gym + getting old = PHEW!!)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sounds like you have a good plan, keep us posted, welcome back

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:42 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I read some of your old post, great place to post and get advice for sure. 24mg to where you are now, great accomplishment.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Again, so nice to hear from you again!! I'm SO glad you're doing so well, that's fantastic news, Aqua.

I can't believe you're down to 2mg. What an accomplishment! You have every right to be proud of yourself.

I think your plan of not having a plan is brilliant. Some people need a very regimented plan, but others need the freedom to move forward as they see fit. I'm really happy you found what works for you. Recovery after opiates is much the same.....ya gotta do what works for you.

BTW, I'm one week shy of 4 years off Suboxone, can you believe it? I've had a few brief slips along the way, but I picked myself up and kept on moving forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi and welcome! I see that all the people that welcomed me as soon as I got here have already welcomed you, or welcomed you back! I am also on a taper and have been kind of jumping all over the place in the last 2 weeks from .75 down to .375, and somewhere in between over the last week. I have somewhat of a deadline that I have to jump, but I think I like your plan of not having a plan is a good way to go. Every time I set times/amounts for myself and didn't stick with it, I would beat myself up and get discouraged. I think staying at a dose and not exceeding the last one is key.

Congrats on getting down to 2mg! There's great peeps here (as you already know) I thank God, higher power, whatever, that I found this place! Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

romeo: It is so good to hear from you! :mrgreen: I knew you were still here as I've been lurking for a few weeks but wanted to wait until I was safely at 2 mgs before I began my new taper journal. Thank you for being here for folks so long after your jump...a positive voice is so needed online, where too many horror stories, myths and rumors abound about the HORROR of tapering and jumping from Sub. My feeling is that folks who are successful tend to get back to their lives or, because they are successful, do not feel the need to post online. Hence, we get story after story of the bad experiences. I have had one very bad taper and now I am ready to do it the right way for myself. Not to say that some cannot go faster but I have found out what NOT to do for myself. You are a role model for me in that I want to do this and report to others that it can be done with minimal discomfort by really paying attention to yourself.

rca1004: Oh, it is so nice to meet someone else with a long Sub history. And, a hearty congrats for dropping all the way to .5! That is fantastic! Give yourself a good pat on the back :) I will be watching your progress carefully to see how you go from here. Try not to be too anxious and let your body and mind be your guide. My doctor has assured me that I do not have "brain damage" or anything like that from my length of time on subs...in fact, he says that the longer you are one them, the more "healed" your brain is from the opiate abuse. I know for myself, that was always my greatest fear...that I had been on them so long that my receptors would never work right again. My doc has assured me that it is not the case...I am going to believe him and run with it! The power of the mind is not to be discounted in getting off Suboxone. Of course, we are dependant and the long half-life makes for a very slow taper. Once I get to the tiniest of crumbs, I plan to start skipping days and I don't care how long that part of the taper takes....I hope to start skipping and realize one day that "I haven't taken any Sub in a week" and just keep going.

dirtyblonde Thank you for the compliment :) Yes, 24 mgs was a lot and I was on 24 mgs/day for 3 years. I had a bad doctor when I first started (actually two of them) and I should have never been on that size dose. Can't change what happened but yes, I am ecstatic to be at 2 mgs after years at high dosages. I feel so much better at 2 mgs...I walked around for years sleepy, foggy and constipated LOL....sorry for the bluntness but it is true. The lower I go, the better I feel.

mama79 Thanks for the welcome! I had a plan during my last taper and made myself terribly sick sticking to it. I also listened to someone on the internet who said you could taper 25% every four days. What an idget I was! Listen to your body....drop sensible increments and never drop until you have zero withdrawal symptoms from your last drop. That's my only plan this time around :) I love this forum because three years ago, it was the only place I found that did not have the drama, rumors and myths, and forum queens whom you dared not argue with....it was good, sensible people sharing their experience of what worked and what didn't and gave excellent, non-judgemental advice. NEVER beat yourself up. Realize that if you have symptoms; you most likely have dropped too fast. I keep some .5 pieces in a medicine bottle that I carry with me at all times....my "security blanket", you might say. I am not going to let myself suffer too badly...and I do not feel bad if I have to take a piece. This is not a race nor time to be a martyr. I do believe that we all will be able to make the "jump" when we have tapered properly for our bodies. I do agree with you....don't exceed your last dose if you can at all help it!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:02 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

you did the right thing and have a great attitude about it, I really wish I could have had more time but my affair with it was a crutch, I would use, use subs, taper, down, use, taper, you get the point. so I had to get out. I'm sure I needed to be on a nice 4mg dose for a year but that is hindsight now. I am lucky I realized what was happening to me before I died or worse killed someone else with my foolishness. we have to learn out lessons our own way in our time frame. I didn't feel I had a choice but to punish myself, that was my only way to get clean. my last taper was very rapid, not cold turkey rapid, I'm not that brave. you'll do fine, its only 2mg more to go right. I am very blunt, so no need for apologies here. safe lane as I am sure you have read is 10% from 2mg on down. may take a few months but you seem grounded and in no hurry. keep posting

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

ClearAqua wrote:
Returning to this forum from 3 years ago (Mar 2011) when I attempted a very fast taper from 24 mgs to 2 mgs a day over 10-12 weeks. Made myself QUITE sick but was able to stabilize at 8 mgs/day and recover. Stayed at 8 mgs/day until January 2014 when I started to taper again (although this time I know to go s-l-o-w!)
It helps to post here for accountability to myself, maybe see some old friends on here and possibly help someone else who is similar. I don't find a lot of folks who have been on Sub as long as I have.

So far:
Jan - Every other day 8 mgs/6 mgs
Feb - Every other day 6 mgs/4 mgs
Mar - Every other day 4 mgs/ 3 mgs
April - Every other day 3 mgs/2 mgs
May - 2 mgs/day (have had to take a small 1 mg piece twice for leg aches/sweating)

My plan is to not really have a plan :) I do not drop unless there are no WD symptoms and I feel very good at where I am at. I would like to be at .25 - .5 (or even lower...whatever it takes) by the end of the year and then start skipping days....hopefully, just kind of ease off from there and eventually start forgetting about it.

I am NOT afraid that I've damaged my brain and am NOT afraid of PAWS, withdrawal, etc...I was afraid after making myself sick 3 years ago but doing this much slower this time has shown me it is possible to go slow and be comfortable. I'm so proud to be doing this much more responsibly than last time and even though some tried to warn me on here that I was going too fast, I did not listen. In my case of dropping too fast and because of the 4 years I had been on Subs at that point, it was so stacked in me that it took weeks for the bad withdrawal to kick in. It slammed me with depression, anxiety and a feeling of the most horrid flu you had ever had in a 48 hour period and I ended up in the ER. Not going there this time!

It's good to be back.....wonderful to be at 2 mgs....hoping to start the next leg down sometime in June....probably to 1.75.

I have not told my doctor as I broached it with him in January and he seems to think I need it for depression/pain the rest of my life and he said "remember what happened last time". I now just have too many 8 mg strips that will be harder to cut when I get under 1 mg and I need to tell him so I can start getting the 2 mg or 4 mg strips. I see him in two weeks so I have time to think about how to tell him I'm at 2 mgs now.

romeo...if you are still here (or laddertripper)...I hope you see this and say hi!

CA

hey sorry I forgot to mention, look up suboxone film cutting guide, you can cut the 8mg strips to nothing with that guide. hope it helps, here this should get you started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6nj_KNGMiY someone on here posted a daily drop of like .0088mg crazy, but he went to zero. said he had zero to mostly null w/d at all. here is also his post made-25mg-jumping-thanksgiving-t9260.html

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

dirtyblonde...thank you so much for the taper guide and the link to the taper....most helpful! I currently have (60+) 8 mg strips at this point and was worried about cutting them down. Now I have the taper guide! It was so good to read about someone else's successful taper.

I assume from your post that you are now off Sub and have made the jump. If so...very, very glad for you and thanks for giving encouragement to others :)

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:23 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

NOTE TO MYSELF: STOP READING TAPER HORROR STORIES ONLINE. PERIOD.

I am not doing it anymore. Everyday, my "new addiction" is surfing around, reading every taper story I can find where people were on Sub longer-term. I have got a pretty positive attitude about this and within 10-15 min, I can be scared....so much, that it takes me an hour or two to get these stories off my mind.

I have to remember that there can be all kinds of reasons people have these experiences like not tapering the proper way...they are pushing it too fast or maybe they are just frightened and make mountains out of molehills OR they just like the attention of all the replies they receive :) I like the fact that folks can reach out online for help and support but good grief...there are SO MANY MORE horror stories than good stories. I'm just going to stick to this forum and STOP surfing around.

I did find one good story this morning...a lady with 6 years on Sub...she took over a year and said it was virtually painless, not without some bad days but definitely doable. She went slow and got very, very low to .125 and started skipping days. I was very happy to find her story and glad that she took the time to post it. It was what I hope to do.

Just for the record in this journal...so far, the hardest drop has been from 3mgs to 2 mgs. I have been at 2 mgs for just about 3 weeks now and still having some periods of hot flashes and leg aches. I find that a couple of aspirin seems to help my legs. The hot flashes are getting farther and farther apart. I probably should have gone from 3 mgs to 2.5 mgs instead but now that it's done, there is no going back. It's definitely not bad but worth noting how the lower you go, the smaller your drops should be. Still hoping that I feel very comfortable here at 2mgs in another 2-3 weeks so I can do the next drop to 1.75 before the end of this month. Although I have no "plan"...I dream about being to .125 by the end of the year and 2015 being the year that I start skipping days!

After 7 years, I am so ready to be off the Sub...all in all, I feel much better at 2 mgs/day than I ever did at higher doses. Nodding off at all times and depending on laxatives for years is not a fun way to live your life. Anytime I feel any discomfort, I think about how much more alert I am, the fact that I don't need laxatives anymore (lol) AND a big thing to me....I remember my dreams now. For years, I would sleep so hard, I could not remember my dreams. At 2 mgs, I am waking up remembering my dreams. A little thing but HUGE to me after over 7 years of not feeling like I was dreaming.

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm 

Hi Clearaqua,

I don't remember you from before since I didn't even start lurking here until November of 2011. But I want to add my voice in welcoming you back! I'm at 2 mg too after tapering from 16 mg. I did it really slowly too. Right now I feel good staying at 2 mg. I'm not ready to get off entirely.

It's a great thing that you learned from your earlier experience of tapering too quickly. Your plan this time is a lot more moderate and smart. After all, it's not a race! :)

Welcome back to the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:37 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thank you, Amy, for the welcome and encouragement :)
It's great to have this forum to keep a running journal of my last taper....yes, this will be my last attempt because I am going to do it this time or just give up and stay on it. Nope! Just kidding...I don't care how long it takes this time...no where else to go but DOWN :)

You and I are both at 2 mgs...personally, if someone is going to be on Subs, 2 mgs is a good dosage. Just enough to keep your receptors happy without the sleepiness and lethargy that happens at higher doses. To think that for 3 years I was on 24 mgs/day....what a blur that is! Ouch!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

ClearAqua wrote:

.....personally, if someone is going to be on Subs, 2 mgs is a good dosage. Just enough to keep your receptors happy without the sleepiness and lethargy that happens at higher doses. To think that for 3 years I was on 24 mgs/day....what a blur that is! Ouch!

Hey Aqua! I also posted a note back to you on my thread. Again, that is just so great that you have gotten down from 24 to 2! I was on 2mgs when I joined this forum a month ago, now pretty comfortable on .5 and holding. You can do this!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey aqua. I didnt know if spenfing hours on here reading stories about jumping hepled me. I still dont. Anyway, I wanted to respond to your kind message on my thread by saying on this one THAT I ACTUALLY FEEL HUMAN TODAY. WHOO HOO. Keep up your hard work you will be where I am in no time at all. Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey! I read your post and laughed a little (not at you) because I did the exact same thing before, and during the first 2 weeks of my taper, and made myself crazy!. I would search and search for something to give me an idea of whats coming with this taper/jump. I don't anymore! Everyone is different as far as usage and their own body chemistry. I would read contradicting stories all the time that would just leave me confused and scared. I've learned to just adjust to a dose, for me it seems like 5 days is the number so far, then go for another drop. Again, that's just ME! I think what you said about going slow and just listening to your body is the best way to go. Let us know how it's going!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

ALL OF YOU are so kind and such an inspiration! Thank you so much! I'm starting to feel as if I'm not so much a newbie anymore :)
It is so important to journal your progress, post as often as you can, be honest and the best thing about this place is knowing you are not alone! I love reading everyone else's posts...it is so encouraging to know that you have people on this path with you.

FYI Journal - Had to take an extra 1 mg piece yesterday afternoon...my legs were so restless and the lethargy/sweating got to me. I have a desk job in an office and have to present a good front. Good thing is I had not had an extra 1 mg piece in almost a week. Hopefully, that was the last "extra" I will have to take at this 2 mg dose that I'm trying to get comfy at. I've never had to do it this far out from dropping before (3 weeks)...that is why I say that from 3 mg to 2 mg has been the most difficult drop for me so far. I've heard others say the same thing....that it was easy at some drops and harder at others. As for the fear that you have "damaged your receptors", my doctor ASSURES me that in order for that to happen, you would have to be dead LOL...honestly, he says not to worry about that...can't and won't happen. I believe him. Don't want to wish my life away but I like to daydream about a year from now...and possibly, just possibly, being at the end of my run with Subs.

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:59 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

yea keep posting an listen to music, I feel it helps with the drops. I know you have had bad advice before but her goes, try a .5 instead of 1mg for comfort. give it 30 mins to work, if that dosent work then try the other .5, that may help with your taper. a lot of this shit is flat out mind over matter, you may feel bad for a few but get busy it passes. if not then try above.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

dirtyblonde wrote:
yea keep posting an listen to music, I feel it helps with the drops. I know you have had bad advice before but her goes, try a .5 instead of 1mg for comfort. give it 30 mins to work, if that dosent work then try the other .5, that may help with your taper. a lot of this shit is flat out mind over matter, you may feel bad for a few but get busy it passes. if not then try above.

Hey, I was going to suggest the same thing. There was a time when I thought 1mg was not a lot, but now I find that even just .25mgs can help quite a bit when things get too rough. I think DBs advice to start with .5 (if needed) and see how it goes makes sense.