It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey bubblebobble,

Really good to hear from you again. Sorry you're having trouble with getting to 2mg...it does seem to be one of the harder nuts to crack that 2mg zone.

Just continue to be patient, it'll come.

Post subject: It's been a while
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's been quite a while since I've posted. Life has been a little hectic. Buying a new car, starting school, and continuing to work.

I've still yet to get to and stay at 2mg a day. But I'm getting closer. The past 5 days I've dosed: 2mg, 2mg, 2mg, 2.25mg, 2mg. Not too shabby. I'd say I'm just about there. This is definitely the most difficult drop I've made so far, but it's exaggerated by the busy schedule I've been having.

I can't remember if I've stated this in a previous post, but I stopped going to my doctor. So I need to be adamant about tapering off this time. I do have a lot of suboxone left if you count the 1 refill of the script I have. If I remember correctly I have another 35 8mg pills left on this script and another 45 8mg pills on my refill. At 2mg a day, this would last a very long time. The catch is my refill is only good until 3/14/11. I don't know if I'm going to be able to shell out enough money to get all those pills filled. I will have to make a very well thought out decision.

I'm itching to get into meetings but still have yet to do so. I know I need them, and I need to start going BEFORE I get off the suboxone. I need to be comfortable with them again. It would also help greatly to find a meeting that I really like, so when I come off I have a spot that I feel supported and accepted. It's all too easy to delay going to meetings while I'm still using the suboxone. It's the typical addict mentality of "I'll do it tomorrow" or even "I'll do that next week" or "I'll do that sometime soon".

Now that I've started school my schedule is busier than ever, which some may see as a threat to sobriety, and it definitely can be, because of the stress. But for me, over the 10 years of my addiction I've learned that idle time is a bigger threat to me.

I'm going to have to plan wisely and keep positive and get to meetings and get a sponsor. Getting a sponsor is something I never bothered to do the last time I cleaned up and I believe that is a big reason why I relapsed 2 years later.

I've been lurking here, but haven't posted lately not only because of my busy schedule but because there hasn't been much progress with my taper, but then again, I guess that is something to post on as well. Posting about my taper here makes me take a good look at where I am at in the process and where I want to be. It's definitely a motivator, and then the support is just priceless.

I will be sure to document all the drops I make with the suboxone, and I'll try and be as detailed as possible concerning the symptoms. When I do finally make the "jump" I'd like to post everyday, multiple times a day to really journal the withdrawal for others. That is, if it isn't "too intense" to where I can get to comp. I'm trying to stay positive about the jump, but I'm definitely preparing for the worst. I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. In some sick twisted way, I'm actually looking forward to the cruel punishment that's coming my way for all the poor decisions I've made.

No matter what, we all have to pay the piper. One way or another.

-Bubs

Post subject: Good For You!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Bubble!

We ALL know how difficult something like this is, especially myself. The tapering process is quite difficult depending on ones circumstances. I can relate to you greatly on the "slip up" parts. I know exactly how that feeling is. I would so early fall I was maintaining 2mg a day for a long time. I was very comfortable at this dose and everything was good. At that point, on my Suboxone, I was buying it illegally and therefore sort of doing my own thing with dosing. It's a scary thought to think about now because I was jumping around on doses depending on how many subs I could cop for that month. Man, I'm glad I'm done with that. But anyways, come the holidays, stress really picked up with a college work load and a lot of work due to the holidays coming. This is when I starting to up my doses for whatever reason. I look back now and remember it not even doing anything to help me. I guess it was more of a mental pick up than anything. Now, I'm in my 6th week off a 4-5mg cold turkey jump and life is looking up. I know how you feel with going back to school because I liked that feeling too. Being occupied and not sitting and just working. I have taken the semester off so I can get my mental state back on track and will return in the fall. It's very weird that I'm not "busy" like I use too. Not going going has left me empty in a hard way to explain. I liked being busy with things like that.

But listen, you are doing wonderful. Take your time if that what it takes to get below the 2mg mark, it's not the easiest thing. One piece of advice though is that I remembered me being very strong when I was tapering a couple of years ago. I wouldn't feel myself for a couple of days. It takes about 3-4 days on a concrete dose to finally get maintained. Takes a couple of days to balance yourself out. Life is stressful, and will always be! Don't let the stress blindside you and block you from being the strong person you are. You have to push through some of those hard days. Believe me, you will balance out and feel like you were when you were taking the 5mg dose. It takes time and a whole lot of dedication! Take it easy on yourself, you're in it to win and I can feel it. Good luck to you!

-Jboss

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Right around 2mg/day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm still hovering around 2mg a day, but I've now set a jump date. It's about 2.5 months off. The goal is to get down to 1mg or lower a day for that jump. I would like to be dosing my lowest dose for at least a week before I jump too. So, if Im able to get down to .5, then I want to .5mg a day for a week before jumping. I have clonidine, benzodiazepines, ambien, and trazadone. I plan on starting on the clonidine & benzos, and then using the ambien and trazadone after about a week or so. I'll also be using Tylenol and immodium. Hoping I sm able to get on a low dose for this jump. It's happening for sure though, bc I only have enough sub to last till then.

I'm feeling pretty good about getting off. I'm excited and cant wait to be drug free. I have a uncle who recently used BMT to get off of opiates. The clinic he went to did a 3 month taper. He is now 5 days off and feeling good. He said the withdrawals were no more than just distracting. Nothing to write home about. He jumped at 1mg. Considering I've been on sub for about 6x's the length as he, I'm expecting worse, but nothing that I can't handle. I seriously doubt it will be as severe as the oxy and methadone withdrawals I've endured in past.

As always, I will keep this thread up to date with any major happenings. And I will be sure to post a daily journal of the actual detox so others can know what to expect. Hope all is well with everyone.

-bubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bubblebobble,

Thanks for the update!

You said, "I'm feeling pretty good about getting off. I'm excited and cant wait to be drug free." I remember having those exact feelings once I set my quit date! It sounds like you have the most important piece of the 'quitting sub' puzzle in place and that is....YOU are ready. You have a bunch of comfort meds ready too, that's good to hear.

You mentioned that sub withdrawal shouldn't be as severe as Oxy withdrawal, I would have to second that notion. Sub wd is not as severe, it just seems to last longer. Nothing you can't handle though!

I look forward to keeping up with your progress. It might not be a bad idea to start posting about your taper towards 1mg too, I know I messed up my taper because I had no accountability to anyone, but me. Maybe by posting about your taper progress, it'll help keep you 'on track'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo, thanks for the reply. I think posting about my taper is a great idea. It will hold me more accountable for my dose (so to speak). I'm considering giving my sub to someone whom I can trust to administer the doses to me so there is no temptation. This is a hard thing to do, as we all feel safer the closer our meds are to us.

I'll definitely be using my weekly pill holder to divvy up the pill doses for the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It might be a good idea to let another one hold your dose. Its probally not bullet proof, since you most likely would be able to convince that person(depending on the person ofc) to give you more if you really wanted - but it gives you a bufferzone, where you have to stop up and think if you really need it.
The jumpdate sounds good - late May`ish? I think the season will work for you - cant tell you how tired i became of walking in snow, freezing my ass of during my first months off.
Compared to Methadone ct, jumping from low dose sub is defenately easyer. Ive tryed a fast methadone reduction and simply couldnt get through it - at no time during the sub detox i felt like it was "impossible" in the same way.

I really wish you the best of luck with this Bubbles:)

Post subject: slow tapering
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been encouraged by all of the posts concerning their journey of tapering. I have not started suboxone yet, but am scheduled to start Tuesday. I have so many questions. Can someone tell me honestly that taking suboxone got them off painkillers with no wds or pain? To me, that's the reason for taking this drug. What is the purpose of getting into a maintenance period of suboxone? Wouldn't it be easier to stop Suboxone within a couple of weeks? Thanks for any help you can give me. renamae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi renamae,

When you get on Suboxone, it's called an induction BTW, you do have to be in mild to moderate wd. So, as far as getting off painkillers and onto Suboxone with no wd at all, it ain't gonna happen. But the good news is you usually only have to deal with approximately 24 hours of wd before getting onto Suboxone.

Once you are in wd from your previous painkillers and you start Suboxone, most people report feeling good to great within an hour. I know for me, within 45 minutes I felt GREAT.

Suboxone maintenance gives you the chance to 'unlearn' your addictive ways and relearn new, healthy ways of coping with life on lifes terms. Many of us on the forum recommend working with some kind of counselor while on Suboxone. I worked with an addiction counselor, he helped me understand what addiction is and how to live with it. As for how long this process takes, it's highly individual.....there really is no set time limit.

If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to start your own topic (thread).