It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: taper from 32mg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all,
i am new to the world of suboxone. My husband is currently prescribes 32 mg/day of sublingual sub (8 mg/per strip) and i think he takes about half of it regularly. he wants to quit, but it will be a long road. He has a hisotyr of heroin use, but didn't get on suboxone until a bout with pain pills. He wants to taper off himself rather than talk to a dr about it. He needs to have back surgery in the next yr or so and is very scared at the idea of being on pain pills again and finding himself back on suboxon, where he isn't happy. we dont have kids yet but he uses our future as his crutch, which is beautiful. Buti hope it is enough.

Any advice? I found out after were married the extent of his journey with this medication, and i know it will be a very different kind of journey for him to leave it behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bams. Welcome to the forum!

I can understand your husband's motivation to want to get off Suboxone. I don't understand though why he would do it himself, without the help of his doctor. In recovery, I'm a big believer that all decisions should be kept above board. Self-medication, at least for me, was a big symptom of addiction.

In my experience, doctors have more experience with inducing people on Suboxone than reducing people off it. I still think it's worth while at least keeping his doctor in the loop. It could have a lot of benefits with being prescribed medication to assist with the taper, as well as in communicating his needs come time for surgery. If he keeps getting prescribed 32mg, then that's a LOT of surplus strips left-over. He'd need to deal with them wisely.

I've had a history of using heroin as well. I've seen many ex-users manage to live clean without Suboxone, so it's certainly possible. One thing that's a big predictor of success, is how long it's been since someone has last used before they taper. Personally, I wouldn't even consider reducing unless I'd had 12-18 months free of any drug abuse. But that's just my opinion.

Let us know how he goes. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

@tearj3rker
its been at least a yr.
But you know how men (especially those who have been on drugs) can be: stubborn. its about control, which is the mind of the drug addict talking. We are missing the mental competent here and it needs to be addressed. He wants to work faster than his body, mind and dr may allow..
I am doing my best to challenge this part of him, but its an uphill battle.

I appreciate the reply, and yes, i think its best to keep the dr knowledgeable about the requests of the patient. I believe the dr also knows more about putting people on rather than off such drugs, but they do, more times than not, have the best interests in mind. ( and yea, i am afraid he isn't dealing with those extra wisely)

I am doing my best to push the aided help, but it is ultimately his choice. it is my understanding that is the element of "choice" which can make or break an addict- they want the ability to make their own choices, but often do not make the right ones.