It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey everybody, I been on Suboxone for 3 years now and have tried to taper multiple times. I can get to doses around 2 or 3mg without a problem or any withdrawals, but when I go lower than that I start to feel the effects of the withdrawals. I've always read to reduce doses by .25mg doses, but at low doses this isn't effective. The withdrawals affects my work and social life and as a result, I end up staying at higher doses.

I started using the RX FILM CUTTING GUIDE and was able to cut my doses in such small amounts (.063mg) for my 8mg films, that when I reduced my dose, I didn't feel any of the withdrawals symptoms.

I really think the key is to cut your film into such smalls doses, that your body isn't affected as much when dropping mg's. As long as you keep track of how much you're taking and for how long, you should be able to effectively taper with minimal withdrawals.

If you google Rx Film Cutting Guide, it should come up.

Hope this helps many people out there! It helped me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'd love to know what mg people have successfully quit Suboxone with minimal withdrawals? I'm tapering from 2mg down to 1.75mg, using 8mg films, and it's taken me a month to do it. I've dropped .063mg (from my 8mg films) every Wednesday for the last 4 weeks and haven't had any withdrawals during each drop. I think 1 week at each dose is still a little short, but I just want to be off Suboxone for good.

I use Wednesday as the day to drop mg's because I figure if I have any withdrawals, they'll be worse on the weekend and I won't be burdened with my work. Plus I try to workout to the point were my body (muscles) will be sore the next day. I feel like this really helps!

Well up to this point I haven't had any withdrawls while dropping such small doses, but as I reduce in mg's I plan on stretching out my length at each dose. I'd rather be on each dose for longer than go though any withdrawals.

Let me know if you've gotten off Suboxone without or with minimal withdrawals and what mg you've jumped at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Rxfcg,

As long as you're tapering, you should be minimizing your withdrawal. I personally could not taper any lower than 1-1.5 mg so I just jumped ship all together. I'm sure there will be others that can help you more and know more about that.

A lot of people seem to like the liquid taper method. You can find it on here. I never did try it, because I didn't know about it.

Wish you the best!

Btw- if you're planning on jumping off suboxone, get your body and mind prepared before you actually do it. Strengthen your muscles and try to have a healthy diet. It will help you out, a lot.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Jennicole525,

Thanks for your input. I know what you mean by not being able to handle the withdrawals at such a low dose. When I tried tapering before, I would drop .25mg at a time because I was one the pills and once I got to 1.5mg , I was hurting and decided to go back up. I've read about the liquid taper and that sounds like a great idea, but I've switched over to the film since, so I don't have that option anymore. Also, I take my doses multiple times throughout the day to keep an even balance in my system, so carrying around a oral syringe wouldn't work for me.

After I read about the liquid taper, that's when I decided I would attempt at cutting my films in such small pieces that it would be almost equivalent to the liquid taper. So I started using my rx film cutting guide along with a detailed spreadsheet and calendar. So far it's worked for me and I'm able to drop doses with minimal discomfort.

I totally agree with eating healthy and working out. Your body and mind is healing during this process, so assisting in any way possible is a definite plus!

So how was it jumping off at 1.0-1.5?! If I didn't have to be at work and productive, I could possibly jump off at a higher dose, but I'm gonna ride this taper at as much as possible and track everybit of it so I can hopefully share what's worked for me.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 am 

It's worth mentioning that the rx film cutting guide is not free. You are able to download the cutting guides for $4.95. Not a huge expense, but an expense nonetheless. I'm thinking of downloading it eventually myself. If I ever do, I will update this thread with a review.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi rx,

Oh, the joys of trying to taper low! Apparently, suboxone was not originally intended to do such! I'm glad you found that post helpful. That's what it's all about. Minimal discomfort = good!!!

I found/find my withdrawal process to be both challenging and rewarding. I was so tired of feeling like crap everyday anyways from such a low dose. It was frustrating because I felt like crap all the time, and knew I'd continue to feel like crap because I was still taking it. So, I kinda tricked my mind and told it you're going to feel like crap now, but, it's going to finally get better for once! Alleluia.

As long as you feel ready, really ready, you're gonna do fine! I promise. I hence ready, because there is a big difference from being ready, and wanting off....

It's going to be rough here and there, but it's do-able! just get prepared for the upcoming battle. Get your army ready and placed in line for combat. That way, you're prepared,..bitches!! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks J525,

I am doing everything I can to prepare. I've started eating healthy,working out, taking vitamins and amino acid supplements, along with many other things to get prepared for my low dose taper. I've gotten every OTC medication I've read about in these posts to help with any withdrawal symptoms too. So my army is getting in place! ;)

I'm curious to see what has worked for people when they taper off at the end... Like what do the last days of the taper look like? I'll be experimenting with 1 day off, 5 days on, 2 days off, 4 days on, etc. or some variation, but I'm not really sure what works best.

I made this spreadsheet that mimics the Suboxone Taper Chart website which Diary of a Quitter posted about in one of the early threads. This way I can see how much Suboxone stays in my system due to it's half life when I reduce doses and experiment that way. I'll also put that and a calendar template on the rxfilmcuttingguide.com website within the next week, to share with everybody for free. I hope that is a helpful tool as well.

So I think the end of the taper will be the trickiest part, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it! Thanks again for your input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi rx!

So you're making a plan now! Making moves..... I'm glad you're able to prepare! I was not, and I wish I had been. It will absolutely help you out in your favor.

My last few days of tapering were the same shit as normal. But you're doing it differently. I think the last days of tapering for you will be a mental game more than anything. I say this because you know how much sub you've got left until the "d-day." Try not to obsess over it, because it'll be easy to do so.

Now, you've got all your OTC. That's great! Is there anyway you could get some RX though? Or are you trying to avoid that? Listen, the best thing you can do is stay active at this point. Get out, get busy. Keep your mind occupied! And workout, def. walking even, whatever! Try to stay as busy as possible.

The spreadsheet sounds great. Sometimes once we have something down on paper, it physiologically makes things easy. Something to follow so there's no unexpected bumps in the road!!

Attitude is everything! So keep staying positive because you can do this, bud! I'm living proof! I'm in your corner every step of the way rooting for you!

-Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Jen, sorry for the late reply, I was out of town all weekend. It's unfortunate how when I have to leave for the weekend, I have to go through this preparation to get my Suboxone doses all set for the weekend. It takes the fun out of any spontaneous trip...

So yeah, I'm really trying to prepare this time for my taper, which will be a lot better than the last time. I know what you mean about the mental game though, I feel like when I'm not thinking about work or family or something else I truly love, I'm thinking about Suboxone. That's the addicted side of my brain playing against me. :( Staying busy definitely helps, plus now that the weather is getting warmer for me, it will be great to get outside more!

If all goes well with my taper process (which it will!) I will definitely have films leftover. I had an earlier phase were I was taking a lot less than my doctor was prescribing me and I ending stocking up a fair amount. I'm not sure how I should handle that. If I try to use all them up with the low dose I'm on, it will take forever. If I keep them around after "D-day," I run the risk of my mind always telling me there's more in my house and I'll be tempted to take more... What do you think is best?

As for the Rx medications, I've had a great doctor that is willing to prescribe me anything he feels will help with any withdrawal symptoms, but also ensures there's not too much to pass along my addiction. I've got:

Ropinirole (Requip) - RLS
Clonidine & Propranolol - Blood Pressure
Hydroxyzine - Anti-Histamine
Trazodone - Sleep Aid
Xanax - Anxiety

Are there any others you recommend from past experience? I've read other threads in the past about different medications, but never know how they're gonna work for me.

With those, plus my tapering Rx Film Cutting Guide process & spreadsheet, good exercise, healthy eating and a positive attitude, I feel like I'm on the right track!

Thank you so much for your support and I always look forward to your advice!

-RXFCG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just stoped the subs its been 12 hours I m very sick how long before I have my life back

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

nfpamaster70@att.net wrote:
I just stoped the subs its been 12 hours I m very sick how long before I have my life back

Sorry to hear your not feeling well. We need more info to be able to offer the best advice and suggestions. Can you share how much your very last dose was you took?

And how long you have been on the subs and what was your highest dose?

Also anything else you care to share will help us, help you!

You should begin your own thread as this one belongs to another member. I realize your new, but most that would check this thread would be looking for the member RXFCG. Begin your new thread and you should get lots more responses.

Hope you feel better soon, and please give the info requested and we'll go from there.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi im new im max,thanks for taper stories.
have been on subx 8years-4mg

for last 2 weeks im down to .25mg am taking clonidine .1mg a day & broke the mu receptor bind-hopefully!- with 10x50mg tramadol (i cant get anymore-im in oz- so not worried re swaping addictions)
anyway im bored shitless-im eating like a pig.
i have lost my job-depression.
my head is a depressing place to be-.might go back to 12 steps just for company.
ive grown not to need people is tuff been relaxed around them nowx
riding bike on beach is free.but the damn water is like 6c degrees-forget about it.

swimming/warm yoga at the local gym is good,but free trial has run out.
will join up gym friday get cash.
i really miss having a bathtub in my new place too.
if your tapering have a bath every day if u can-is thee best thing to release adrenals/stress/tensionx
im such a stress head -so noisy in there-i just manage yoga class.
i have been running on trauma -fight/flight response pretty much all my life...any tips?
cheers max

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey max, I started this post awhile back. It would be best for you to make an original post so others from the online community can comment. A lot of us have gone though the hard times you're describing and can be of great support.

As far as tips go, I would definitely join a gym. Excercise is a huge relief and some gyms have hot tubs or steam rooms which help tremendously. Also, go to meetings and get what ever you need to off your chest. Venting to people who have been there will help. Posting on this site is very helpful too. You'll get feedback from a lot of members with same life experiences. Lastly, I would find a productive and enjoyable hobby to take your mind off other things. If there's something you enjoy doing and puts your mind at ease, do it!

Good luck on your journey and be sure to start a new thread to have others comment.

RXFCG