It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taper Anxiety
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I tend to ramble but since I need help I will try to make this short.

I have been recovering with Sub since 2-29-12, Rapid taper at inpatient rehab 16mg to 6mg in 5 days, at 6mg until now. On June 1st, I am to start taking 4 mg a day. I really am ok with this, I would like to try to get off Suboxone, for personal reasons (COST)LOL, and to try to be free of all addiction. I have a supporting family, 2 sons and a husband.

Here is the problem, my addict mind is screaming in the background, OH MY GOD, what are you doing, you won't make it, you will fail, you will feel like crap, yada yada yada.

But, I also know it won't be that bad, there have been days I have gone without, or only 2mg, and I did not die, or really feel any differently than I did on 6mg.

I just need a little insight or encouragement, I am excited to taper, but scared to death. I don't know how else to explain it. Please don't judge, or tell me I am stupid for taking Subs or the choices I have made. I just would like for someone to say, it will be allright. Thank you.

Post subject: Taper Anxiety
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Guess what....Honeybun, It will be alright. I understand the anxiety that comes with tapering. each tme I have reduced my dosage I have ben nervous about it, but Ive figured out there is no need to worry about tapering. that is the easy part. When you taper down you may or may not feel a little fatgue for a few days until you are stabilized on the lower dosage. There really is no need to worry, Tapering is not too hard. The anxiety is totally normal and will pass as soon as you taper your dose and realize it is not nearly as horrible as you were expecting it to be. Some mild fatigue and thats all, as a matter of fact you may feel sleepy for a few days after you taper each time. That has happened to me several times. Just take it easy on yourself and remember the real battle doesnt come until you take you final dosage of suboxone. Then we are talking about a whole different subject. Best wishes to you. And trust that you will be fine when you taper because you will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Honeybun...

It'll be alright. :D

The anxiety is just a barrier you need to break through. When you come out the other side it'll just be a memory. Keep it up and keep your eye on the prize.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Honeybun!

I understand exactly how you feel! The anxiety of tapering is terrible, but as those above stated...it's never as bad as we think it's going to be. Honestly, if you are ready to taper and you are doing it because YOU want to, not because you're being pressured into it, you will do great! The worst part for me was mental for sure. I was aware when I started treatment that I would be tapered within a year, and it scared the crap outta me. I struggled with it, never sticking to an accurate dose, until I finally decided I wanted to taper because it was what is right for me, not just because my doctor and husband wanted me to. Once I made the decision that I wanted it, it's pretty much been smooth sailing. Of course there have been tough days, but nothing like what I expected. It's normal to be scared of the unknown. But a good attitude is the key! You will be fine, I know you can do it!!!!

And honestly, the drop from 6 - 4mg isn't too bad. You might have a little discomfort for a couple days, but just stick it out and you will be good. Is your doctor giving you a taper schedule? I'm just interested to see what other doctors do for their patients while they are tapering.

Good luck Honey! Take a deep breath, and relax...your good girl!

BTW - Just to alleviate your fears a bit. I don't feel much different on .5mg than I did at 6,4,2,1, or .75mg. It's amazing how this medication continues to work pretty much the same at any dose once you adjust. The ONLY difference is that after dropping below 1mg the dose doesn't seem to last the full 24 hours. But splitting the dose helps that alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you all so much. It was what I knew but needed to hear.

Not really a schedule. I just say that because he actually listens and really seems to care. I went into rehab on a Wednesday, the next Tuesday I had a nurse pull me into the nurses station and sit me down. I told her I know its bad the way you are looking at me. What has happened? She asked me if I knew anything about my Grandmothers health. I said I have taken care of her for over 10 years, she is 86 years old, so if you tell me anything besides her having passed I will be surprised. I know that sounds cold hearted, but she was 86. She said she is in the hospital non responsive, your husband called and was worried about you. I said I love her, more than you can know, but I need this to be a better person for her. I got out on Wednesday, went strait to the hospital, she had been unconcience for 2 days, when she heard me she woke up and talked to me for a half hour. Then she was out again, I put her in hospice on Friday she passed on Sunday. So needless to say, my one year anniversary was saddled with the one year loss of my grandmother.

When I went in February he said, I know this time of year is hard for you, and I said yes, and to top it off I just quit my job. Not a high paying job but enough to make it easy. He said no taper now. Lets wait and discuss it next time. I agreed went last week and he said are you ready to try a taper. I said yes, because I was and it was time. However, 24 hours later I couldn't believe what I had committed to. Like i think I said before I have gone days where I only take 1, or 2 or 4 mg. I have even went 2 days without it and realized it wasn't that bad. But now I have committed to it and I keep thinking what if it doesn't work. I was so happy when I finally took the first step. I had one slip, I had a bad migraine, and I took 3 10 mg norco's it didn't work, 1 becuase of the sub, and 2 because it was a migraine.

Since that slip 40 days out of rehab, I have luckily had no more slips. I am ready to taper. Just freaking out. I have no desire to use and I am afraid that will change.

As far as they schedule, I think my doctor is very good about taking it one thing at a time, and by tapering me when I am ready rather on a schedule seems to be what he is doing, so that I will focus on what I am doing and not what I will have to do. He also told me to call if I have any questions, or concerns or problems with the taper and he will help me. I am lucky in the sense that he and his nurse and secretary are really wonderful people, who care. Its not about the money. I hope I answered your questions about the schedule, as I have said before I tend to ramble. its hard for me to talk to people about this, because there is really no one around who understands it, so i use this forum to ramble. Thank you and June 1st is creeping up. What really stinks is my youngest of 2 boys graduates the 30th. I want them to be little again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Honeybun,

I'm so happy for you that you have such a good doctor! I think that will make it much easier for you...It's so great to have a doctor who is compassionate!

Just take it one day at a time. I bet you won't start to feel much different for awhile. And maybe by the time you get to that point you will feel a bit more confident. As I said before, when I first started my taper I screwed up alot and I was scared to death. Then at some point is just clicked and it was a whole different ballgame. I'm sure you will have that moment too.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I am really close to my grandma too. The difference is she lives 2000 miles away from me. I recently went to stay with her for a month after she fell and broke her arm. It was a great time that I will always treasure. I hope I will get to see her again, but she is 76 years old and in bad health, and if I don't see her again at least I know I had that time with her to show her how much I love her.

And your son is graduating!!!! Congratulations!!!! I know that has to be hard. My oldest, a girl, just turned 13 this month and it was a big wake up call. I have a TEENAGER now! I don't even want to think how soon she will be gone...it's sad. But think of it this way, it shows how well you have done your job as a Mom. Our greatest achievement is when we see our little ones doing well and becoming independant, responsible adults. I know...easier said than done huh?

Keep positive Honey, you are going to do great!

Post subject: suboxon withdrawal
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi my name is allan. i have seen 3 doctors already. they cant get me off of this stuff.i get very nauseous.

Post subject: suboxon withdrawal
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Allan, I was curious because you did not say a lot about your treatment. How long have you been on the suboxone? Did you do a taper? Why have you seen three different doctors? Did your other doctors try to do a taper with you then when it was time to jump you had a hard time so they stopped helping you? Did you have to find another doctor because of this..?.. I am confused. What is your situation?, and why have you needed to see three different doctors? Why would'nt your original doctor continue to help you with maybe doing a slower taper, or giving you clonidine,or anti- nausea meds after you jumped and what dosage are you trying to jump off at?