It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taper Advice?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I could really use some advice on a taper. I've been on Suboxone a year on the 26th, I stopped going to the clinic a few months ago because I felt like I was finally ready to get off and above all I was really tired of the way the office worked and how impersonal it all was. I've had enough since October to get me by but I've only got about 14-8mg strips left. I'm right at 6-8mg per day and I need to start tapering. I've tapered down to 2mg every 3 days before in the past and been o-k but I stupidly let myself slide right back up. I started out on 16mg a day so I've gone down considerably but still. Can anyone give me a solid taper that will be as painless to jump from as possible? I think I will be able to get down to 1-2mg pretty quickly I'm just worried about jumping off and being able to get my dose any lower than half a milligram since it is the film. I'm really worried about the withdrawals as I jumped off at 16mg in the spring and I was a wreck! I triggered a manic episode of my bipolar disorder and I was pretty "out there" at the time, I am REALLY looking to avoid all of that this time but since I am on new meds I think I will be alright, I hope so.

If anyone can tell me what kind of misery I'm in for jumping from 1mg or less I would greatly appreciate it. I've only jumped from 16mg and I can imagine it will be different. Also any info on how long this will last, not counting PAWS, just the acute stuff. I'm currently job hunting and my biggest fear is landing a job and then being sick with withdrawals!

Thanks ahead guys, I really appreciate this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Pink, best advice I could give you is to get back in that program, or find another. I know they can be impersonal, and sometimes down right degrading, but the fact is you don't have enough Sub for a smooth taper, let alone the comfort meds you'll need when you jump. Are you sure your ready to quit Sub? If not stay on it until you've got your house in order, otherwise it's a setup for relapse.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but crash tapers usually end up in a crash landing. Even though this drug is a partial agonist it is incredibly powerful and has a high stacking/binding affinity (it takes a long time to wean it out of your system). Please consider going back, at least until you have enough to do a proper taper, and the comfort meds you'll need for the jump.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Going back really isn't an option, the clinic won't take me back because I left once before. The clinic was 2 hours away and there really aren't anymore in the area but regardless I honestly think I'm ready to go without it. I've been active in meetings and working the steps and getting a strong support system. If I HAVE to go back, I'll find another option but I think after a year of use it's served its purpose of getting me back on my feet and its finally time to suck spread my wings and at least try.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:43 am 
Taper57 wrote:
Hey Pink, best advice I could give you is to get back in that program, or find another. I know they can be impersonal, and sometimes down right degrading, but the fact is you don't have enough Sub for a smooth taper, let alone the comfort meds you'll need when you jump. Are you sure your ready to quit Sub? If not stay on it until you've got your house in order, otherwise it's a setup for relapse.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but crash tapers usually end up in a crash landing. Even though this drug is a partial agonist it is incredibly powerful and has a high stacking/binding affinity (it takes a long time to wean it out of your system). Please consider going back, at least until you have enough to do a proper taper, and the comfort meds you'll need for the jump.

Mike

Sorry OP, but this guy is right.
Going to meetings can possibly help some people, but it doesn't help withdrawal.

You put yourself in a bad position here. I suggest you begin your taper immediately, because you are running out of Sub every day. If I were you I'd get below 2 mg, and fast.

The folks over at Opiophile will have good advice as to a rapid taper. I wouldn't wanna jump from more than .5 mg/day. My plan is to go lower than that. It is possible that your PAWS will be more severe from not tapering properly.

The best idea is to go to a doctor (get a refill) and discuss what constitutes a proper taper, then drop even lower than he tells you to before discontinuing. Can't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Excellent post. I'm a big fan of the 12-steps, but I'd hate to have that as my only tool against acute opioid withdrawal. As stated, you don't have enough sub to do a proper taper, and even if you did, you need 2 mg. films when you reach the lower dosages.

Just because you suffered jumping at 16 mgs. (YIKES) doesn't mean you will doing a proper taper. No offense, but we addicts make rash decisions. You need to go back and re-build your bridges, get the proper tools you need, and make a good plan with the help of professionals. It's very possible to reach your goal, you just need to approach it a little more strategically.