It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Talking to Mom...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was talking to my mom about how well I've been doing on Subutex for the last seven weeks. She immediately said that now that I'm doing well, I should be able to stop taking the medicine. I tried not to be defensive but rattled off something about the rate of relapse being 90% if you quit in the first six months (not sure if that is exact). She said "well I guess you will be in the 10% then!" I was kind of at a loss for words. Later on, I remember reading somewhere on here how that is a dangerous way to think - that we are that "special" addict that can do what most can't. Isn't that right, guys? I'm thinking I should just relax and keep taking the medicine no matter what other family members think. It's working, so why stop now? I think I still have a long way to go before I can get my life back together. Thanks for listening! Leslie

Post subject: Re: Talking to Mom...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You should only stop Suboxone when you think you're ready. Addiction isn't like a cut we get that heals over. For many of us, addiction is life long and requires an almost complete shift in our thinking and behaviors if we're going to live with the disorder and not use drugs.

As you said, getting your life back together, getting stability back in your life.....I believe these are important milestones to reach before you consider coming off Suboxone. Because we're all individual, these things come to us in different time frames. IMO, the amount of time on Suboxone isn't the first thing I'd look for, the progress you've made in your life would be the first thing I would look at.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, Romeo. I was hoping to hear from you. What you say always seems to make sense.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 pm 

Hi Leslie,

I'm going to side with Romeo and say that it has to be up to you and you only to make any decision regarding Sub. Your family cares for you and they think they are helping by reinforcing the thought of being completely clean. You can either try to educate them or kindly ignore them.

Right now you are doing the best thing possible. Recovering from opiate addiction. Focus on your recovery and practice that nice smile in the mirror that you'll use when you tell them "it's under control". Or "I'm following my Dr's orders". Whatever works to appease them.

Congratulations on finding recovery!

rule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My mother must have a family somewhere I'm not aware of... You're absolutely right in your thinking; I'm guessing your mother is uneducated about addiction. Send her to SuboxoneTalkZone.com!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I know this thread is old...
Just wanted to add...moms SUCK. well mine does at least. I hope you don't listen to your mom! Let us know how you're doing!!! Hopefully you are stable and happy on suboxone:)