It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all. I'm currently on 4mg suboxone daily and got my wisdom teeth (all 4, which were impacted-- meaning they had to slice the gums, break bone and yank). I was prescribed Vicodin 7.5mg and the Ibuprophen 800 isn't doing the job. My question is, since I've been on a 4mg suboxone regimine daily for about 2 months now, if I skip a day will I be able to feel the effects of the Vikes? My intentions arent to get high but to take the extreme pain away, and them obviously once the script is gone, go back on my suboxone. How long do I have to wait after dosing bupe can I feel the effects of the Vicodin? Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 am 

That is our main problem, knowing the difference between feeling high and actually getting pain relief. At least with me, if I didn't feel it, it wasn't working. You can try to take them both but when you are an addict it gets tricky.

Too bad you couldn't taper lower, like getting down to 1 mg. With teeth it's mostly inflammation so NSAIDS work well. Things like Ibuprofen, Aleve, and even good old aspirin works quite well. You can always go back onto your Sub too.

That's my take, and heal well,

rule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At the most, you should have only a day or two where it's extremely painful. The mouth heals nearly as fast as the human eye does, which is almost record time.

It's harder for me to read these stories and how people have so much trouble with dental issues..the patient on Suboxone inside me wants to yell "just friggin grin and bear it!!"...but the compassionate side of me knows the pain, and I know what I was able to do in order to ease my pain when I had problems -------> NOTHING. I had to deal with it. Abscesses? Had umpteen ...a couple of them I sliced open with a razor blade just to get relief. I remember getting up at 2am, mouth throbbing like a sonofabitch..and going to the bathroom mirror with a razor blade and flashlight...and sliiiicccceee...RELIEF.

I spent 4 years dealing with my teeth falling out. Just..out of the blue, I'd be eating, and *crunch*..."broke another one"...
I got down to having 3 teeth left that weren't broke. THREE. Out of 10 teeth in my head, I had 3 teeth that were ABOVE the gum line...the rest broke off at the gum...imagine THAT pain and spending 4 years dealing with that ... Trust me, it hurt.

And when I finally DID get relief... I was taken in, under the presumption that Nitrous would work and I wouldn't feel much. I was WRONG. The dentist said I was one of the few people that gas didn't work on at all...so I had to grin and bear it while he snatched out 10 teeth from my head...with novacain only. And 3 of those 10 weren't dead enough, and I had to stop him to deaden them more.
So I know dental pain...very well.

Now, here's where I guess it's "hardened" me...because I didn't take jackshit...I didn't even fill the pain meds. I came home, slept, and drank Ensure. It was about 2-3 days of being uncomfortable.
Suboxone works WONDERS....you may not realize it, or think so, but it does. Try it. Suboxone works great on breakthrough pain...if taken in smaller doses more often...

Just my advice, which may/may not be very helpful. I had a hell of an ordeal with mine, and just dealt with it, and took Sub.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:46 pm 

I agree with Jonathan and Rule. Smaller doses of sub more often. It really does help with dental pain in my experience.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'd be worried about the slippery slope my man. I know you're in pain but over the counter pain medication should take away a lot of that pain. And by the time you wait a day to take the Vic's you should really be out of the acute stage anyways. One harsh way to look at it is the pain worth your sobriety? Maybe you can take the Vic's and put them down after (bets are you'll finish the bottle - better to do that then leave them lying around...your addicted brain will say) but you could also get a taste for them again.

I'm in such a decent place right now that I would have told the dentist I was an addict and told him not to prescribe me anything so I would to be tempted, but that's just the place I'm in right now. My sobriety means everything to me, because the alternative was living hell.