It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taking too much
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Am I the only one who craves more suboxone? How do I deal with it? I cant seen to find the will power and run out days before I see my doc, I've been in the program almost 2 yrs. Help. Need some ideas

Post subject: Re: Taking too much
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For most of my patients, the cravings that occur on Suboxone are much more manageable than the cravings OFF Suboxone. If you are taking 12-16 mg, and absorbing it well (see my web post about 'optimizing absorption'), then the cravings are probably psychological, not 'chemical'. So the thing that works the best, from my experience, is distraction. When you think you need more, do something to occupy your mind--- and the feelings should go away. You need to get focused on something else, completely-- NOT clinging to thoughts of using in the back of your mind, but rather getting lost in something else. Focus on cleaning the kitchen. Write a couple letters or emails. Anything that gets your mind occupied-- and then try to keep thinking of OTHER things besides using. After a few days, the using thoughts should slow down-- at least that's what I usually see.

Other things people do-- take a weekly pill container that holds all your pills for the week. That way each day has the dose for that day-- and if you take extra, you are borrowing from that future day. That helps keep you connected to the consequences of using extra--- instead of thinking it is no big deal.

Give those things a try-- and I hope it helps!!

Good luck,

Jeff J

Post subject: Re: Taking too much
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some strategies we have used when patients are running out early:
Pick up prescription weekly. If you run out a day or two early not nearly as painful or difficult than if you run out a week early.
If you have a smart phone, program a twice a day alarm, and only take it when you get 'permission.' Journal the other times you are having cravings or do something distracting.
Quote:
Am I the only one who craves more suboxone?

Are you on a high enough dose? Were you well controlled earlier and only recently having problems or has this been a two year struggle? What other recovery efforts are you making besides taking Suboxone? After two years the Sub should be a relatively small tool in your recovery toolbox.
After a few weeks this should have been a non issue.