It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, my name is Lisa and I have been an opiate user for the past 4 years (up to 120 mg of oxy), prior to that I was a IV drug user with cocaine, kicked that habit in 1991 but had a knee surgery in 2005 and entered the world of pain meds. I realized I had a real problem when my 3 year old daughter ask me one day was I always gonna be sick and not be able to play with her. I then realized that i had pretty much been high on something every day of her life. I tried for 16 years to conceive my little angel and here I was denying her right to have a mommy. Any way I have woke up, told my doctor that I was an addict and had been for years, she in turn, cut me off and told me to get help, so I did, I have an appointment on the 15th for suboxone treatment. My questions are: 1. I live in a small town and have to drive to another town about 45 minutes away to get to this clinic. Do they make you come there every day to get your meds or are you perscribed a monthly supply? I am guess what you call a functioning addict cause I havce been able to hold onto my government job and well I work 12 hours a day with little free time during the week to travel to a clinic to get meds,. 2. They want you to be mild or moderately withdrawing, what if you actually quit cold turkey but want help staying off, I have not had anything since the 5th and my appointments the 15th and itll b out my system by then, although I'm going thru hell dont want to go back doing them, but I know without some help, i will b right back there in a week or so. If im not withdrawing when I go will they still prescribe them? Because its my addiction not a personal habit and I always give into the demon. Any advice and answers will help. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:16 pm 
Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on making the decision to be drug free! You still have plenty of time to make it up to your daughter. I know its rough when you look back at something like that and can't believe what you have done. We don't know what the hell we are doing when we're high. You have today, you have tomorrow, and you have the future.

Yes, the doctor will still put you on Suboxone even though you are past withdrawal. If not, another doctor will. You don't need to go in every day to get your dose. At first, you will probably just get a few pills, maybe a weeks worth. Then you'll get a months supply, once your daily dose is figured out.

Again, welcome to the forum. Keep us posted!

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Congratulations on your choice for a new LIFE!!! I am new to the forum but have been on suboxone for two years.
My doctor was recently diagnosed with cancer of the tongue (horrible story on it's own)... so I am challenged with finding
a new doctor.

I tried to taper down and quit. It was the most miserable month of my life. I cut my dose in half with no problem at all. It really suprised me so,.... I thought (first mistake) that I could cut it in half again and again until my stash of 60 was gone.
The first cut worked with no side affects, the 2nd cut was tough but I did not feel horrible, then the third cut put me in full blown withdrawal. I was back on pain meds in 24 hours.

ALL THE TIME I WAS TAKING THE SUBOXONE I felt it really did nothing to me. I never "wanted" it. I just took it, like a person with high blood pressure takes their "pill". Because it never made me feel "high" i thought it would be easy to kick.
WRONG ANSWER!!!! but the good news is that I have an appointment with a new doc. My old doc called me in one more script so that I would not keep using and I am feeling great again!!!

DO NOT BE HESITANT to begin taking suboxone. I promise....and believe me when I say I could not believe it myself... You never "crave" opiates again. It is a miracle. No more running around in the middle of the night to seedy parts of town you would never go otherwise. No more $1000 per week habit. No more kicking your liver's butt. No more crying and pleading and up's and down's..... and most of all for the first poster..... NO MORE NOT BEING THE MOM YOU WANT TO BE!!!! YOU HAVE WAY MORE TO GAIN BY TAKING SUBOXONE LEGALLY AND MONITORED BY A PHYSICIAN.... YOU HAVE YOUR LIFE BACK!!!