It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taking the Pill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All,

I have been on the Suboxone for 25 days now and I am doing much better. I did not think that I could actually stop taking narcotics!! They were actually running my life for so long. I am continuing to have daily headachs but I am working on that. The hardest thing for me has still taking the suboxone physically. The taste is horrible. I have been following what I have learned from all of you and that is to put it under your tounge and spit our your silvia. This has seemed to work except that when I spit the silvia there is orange in it. Am I loosing all of my medication??

Can't wait to get some feedback :)

Booda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. How long after the pill dissolves do you spit? If you've given it 10+ minutes, you should be fine. I would think it's just the coloring that you're spitting out, but I'm no chemist.

The makers of suboxone just got approved to manufacture a "film" that dissolves in one's mouth quickly and doesn't have the taste. (I forget the name of it.) I think I read that it will be available in October. Not sure about pricing, but maybe you could ask your doctor about writing you a script for the film - once it comes out. (You could call your pharmacist and ask when they'll be getting the film in.)

Hope this helps. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There is lots of ways to take you meds read the instruction it says to take a small sip of water and then place the tablet under the toung and let it desove and then don't drink any thing for 10 minutes there is all sort ways to take the pill but I have been on it for a year and never had a problem fallow the instructions you will be fine and the headach I to got that for a wile but it goes away after some time I did start reading all of the difrent ways to take the meds and got upsest with the diffrent ways to take it drove me crazy but the way the maker tellsyou is the best best of luck to you

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One suggestion I saw that I thought was pretty good -this is to combat the taste problem- is to take a tic-tac breath mint along with the suboxone and let them dissolve together.

I don't mind the taste personally, so it's never been an issue for me. I don't get the headaches either, so I just swallow everything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've experienced both morning headaches and issues with how to "properly take my suboxone.

For me the headache usually goes away after my morning dose, but I was amazed to see how effective tylenol is.
Now 7 days back on after a 16 day unsuccessful jump, the headaches are gone, but I take tylenol as soon as I wake up.

On the subject of taking the pill, I've learned how important it is to follow the pamphlet instructions with respect to keeping your mouth closed while allowing the medication to dissolve, which I think goes on for a long time. The literature suggests going to a private room, or letting family know you won't be able to speak, smoke, drink, etc. I keep mine in my mouth probably 5 minutes past the time it's completely dissolved, and consider anything I spit out or swallow to be "wasted" medication.

Plus I think it's hard for me & my doctor to dose me properly if I'm losing even a small fraction of the medication. My doc has me rinse out my mouth prior to taking my dose, which seems to make it easier. I also have my first coffee/cogarette before taking it, so I don't have to endure caffeine cravings! And I take it at exactly the same time each day.

When I tapered and d/c'd sub, and my doses were very, very small, you'd better believe I held that stuff under my tongue for a long time! As most who've jumped from sub can tell you, when you taper, a dose the size of a pin-head, or fingernail chip is enough to maintain- though mild w/d's did start for me when I got below 1mg.

Post subject: Re: Taking the Pill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got changed to the " film " today and it was covered by my insurance. The co-pay was more than usual and I had to call around to see if any pharmacies had them. My doctor said the films DO NOT taste any better and that they are to be better b/c they help deliver the correct doseage and that they ALL have a serial number on them and that way they are easy to track if sold or used inappropiately. I am nervous about this film thing. I just hope they help me better. I have only been on suboxone for about 2 months. I relapsed before that for a 9 month period, before that I was on suboxone for 2 years. I am on 3 1/2 suboxone a day.

[font=Verdana] [/font]
booda wrote:
All,

I have been on the Suboxone for 25 days now and I am doing much better. I did not think that I could actually stop taking narcotics!! They were actually running my life for so long. I am continuing to have daily headachs but I am working on that. The hardest thing for me has still taking the suboxone physically. The taste is horrible. I have been following what I have learned from all of you and that is to put it under your tounge and spit our your silvia. This has seemed to work except that when I spit the silvia there is orange in it. Am I loosing all of my medication??

Booda
[font=Trebuchet] [/font]

Post subject: Re: Taking the Pill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hoe do you change your pill count thing??? Can't figure it out on here.
fallonrush wrote:
I got changed to the " film " today and it was covered by my insurance. The co-pay was more than usual and I had to call around to see if any pharmacies had them. My doctor said the films DO NOT taste any better and that they are to be better b/c they help deliver the correct doseage and that they ALL have a serial number on them and that way they are easy to track if sold or used inappropiately. I am nervous about this film thing. I just hope they help me better. I have only been on suboxone for about 2 months. I relapsed before that for a 9 month period, before that I was on suboxone for 2 years. I am on 3 1/2 suboxone a day.

[font=Verdana] [/font]
booda wrote:
All,

Booda
[font=Trebuchet] [/font]