It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taking the jump from 8mg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So today is day 2. I've been on 24 mg of suboxone for 3 years. In the last 2 months I've managed to taper down to 8 mg and I have a very detrimental job waiting for me to rid myself of this "maintenance medication" before I start. Luckily they are giving me time to get it out of my system. Last dose was the morning 3 days ago. I work out have an extremely fast metabolism and went and got clonodine, calf cramp meds, and promethazine for nausea. Feel tired today but with subs half life today is feeling good.lol I know what I'm in for as I'm also guilty of running out early and having to ride it out till refill. Came off 3 grm of the stuff people usually get on suboxone for 5 yrs ago so I will keep you posted on the withy d's as I'm going cold turkey. In my eyes it has to hurt so you know the pain your body can endure and overcome! Godspeed!

Last edited by Frmnothn2sumthn on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:26 pm 

Hi and welcome to our forum!

As a pro-suboxone forum, we offer help in all forms, be it helping someone through withdrawals right before induction onto sub, or encouraging the ones that are wanting to stop taking sub.

One thing that is a no-no here is to add emotional intent to buprenorphine (suboxone). Buprenorphine is a tool, not a cure, and certainly not a demon. If you want to blame something, blame your addiction. It's not Bupe's fault that you are having problems. The medication has several different properties; probably the most difficult of which is that it causes dependence.

However, as others have already said, there is a huge difference between a physical dependence and a psychological addiction. If you can easily taper in a slow and controlled fashion, then you are dependent and not addicted. If you find that you are unable to taper while on sub, that's a red flag that you may be addicted and need more recovery work like seeing an addiction counselor.

I don't want to seem combative. I just believe that when we give our medication so much power then we are diminishing and dismissing our own abilities. Again, welcome!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy you are right and yes suboxone "was"a very useful tool when I first got on it. I had been sober for 2 years before getting on sub the reason why I got on sub is major changes that had occurred in my life.. thinking I had solidified a strong enough program through the 12 steps and sponsoring people in the past didn't help me when the change came.. I quit working the steps and quit giving back what was so freely Givin to me. I felt squirmy and decided to get on sub through my doctor and it saved me from relapse on the very thing I originally got clean from. Now back to the jump.. hit the gym today with my wife... a little tired but hey this is day 2. I'm going to post everyday until I feel normal. And also give details on things I may or may not do to feel better. Great forum and hopefully I can help someone out while logging my days.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:30 pm 

Fasten your seat belt. You may be in for a wild ride. Never would we suggest a person stop at 8 mg's, it's just way too high of a dose. Plus the failure rate is quite high for those who do try. It's been done so don't feel like you've already lost the battle. We have many members who stopped from a high dose and are off to this day. It's just a little warning so you know what's coming.

Yes, the ½ life is about 3-7 days. It stays stored in your body for a long time and it takes a long time for all of it to be gone, so put your finish line way out there, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

We'll support you all the way!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the support and your reply. It's almost 2 pm where I'm at so how am I feeling.. feeling quite well. Getting a little harder to eat but I forced down my morning protein plus bar along with my whey protein shake with L-GLUTAMINE and bcaa 5000. Getting cold chills here and there but nothing compared to when I came off h@Ro!n. I didn't want to get out of bed but with the help of my wife my 1 yr old son and three girls I got up and went to church. Emotional Rollercoaster at church during worship as the songs touched me. Felt very healing. Just took another clonodine might take a nap or just relax a bit. I'm not just going to sit around and wait for withdrawal symptoms though. And as they do come I'll try to counteract them with something therapeutic like working out or music. I know I'm only on day 3 but I feel Fairly good. Like I said I have an extremely fast metabolism.. I've ran out of prescription 2 days early then went to doc and they ua tested me and I was negative and that was on 16mg a day. I've also tested negative after dosing at 8 mg in morning and working all day then going to doc in afternoon. At this point none of that matters I'm very lucky to have the support of my wife and family. We'll see what tomorrow brings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My goodness! What a metabolism! Hopefully that may also help you as you take this jump. That must be some job, for you to jump off at 8 mg. And just 2 months ago you were at 16 mg? Boy am I anxious to see how this goes. I have a lot of questions about jumping at around 8 mg. Hopefully I'll be able to do a slow and steady taper if and when the time is right, but things are kind of up in the air for me right now. I might actually be without a Dr in a couple of months. But this is about you. Hold on dear, as they said before, you may be in for a bumpy ride. We got cha back though. Post as often as you like. The more, the better. Stay hydrated, coconut water is good for that if your into natural substances. Also Boku Superfuel will put a real kick in your pants, LOL, without the downward crash. Something worth looking into. Also they have a great superfood shake that I drink every morning. But it may make your stomach issues worse because it certainty helps you go to the bathroom when taking Suboxone. Get your Imodium ready, I don't think promethazine helps with diarrhea. Let us know how your doing, ok. Bama girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey From

'Luckily they are giving me time to get it out of my system.' Not asking you to say who they is but makes me wonder if its the military or an employer or lockup or something completely different... Is it you have no choice? Do you think you are ready to be off? Sounds like maybe you want off?

Agree w Rule. We have a new member Crystal here just off 8mg and got thru it and is maybe ~4wks out.

Happy for you that your have a great wife and family. I can tell you know their love and support is important and powerful. Really appreciate your coming here and keeping us in the loop. Post and post. Wishing you my best! P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone I appreciate your posts it helps more than you think to know that I can or may be a positive influence on at least 1 person. So how am I today? Well the withdrawals have definitely set in but it is indeed bare able. Don't get me wrong I have a huge lack of motivation and energy. I'm still taking my protein and took a 3 mile hike in the mountains near my house. It was pretty hard on my aching legs but my body afterwards felt soooo good almost better than going to the gym. I have had to start my imodium as now that oh so fun part of withdrawals has definitely set in. I take my clonodine in morning around noon and before bed along with melatonin 3mg. I got 4 hours of sleep lastnight. I've found myself forcing down whole food as I have 0 appetite but I know it's crucial to keep my nutrient intake up. About to take an hour nap w my wife before going to get my kids from school. I will check back in tonight. Oh cold chills as well but not near as bad as when I came off fast acting opiates. So far it's really not as horrible as alot of people say. I came off a very high tolerance "H" habit years ago and compared to that this is not too shabby. Thanks for the support everyone!!! I'm still trucking along and definitely in it to win it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like you have a real good outlook on this jump so far. SO your taking all your comfort meds so that's good. Sounds like sleeps not too awful bad either. That mountain hiking is a real plus. You mentioned something about the cold chills not being as bad as before, do those involve hot and then cold chill or just cold. I hear a lot of the women talking about hot and cold feelings, trying to figure out if it's mostly women or everybody's getting hot as well. I know what a question. LOL I have so many. Well thank you for your time. Post again soon. I hope your doing ok. Bama girl