It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I found a doctor to go to about a month ago. He prescribed me suboxone which has done great with helping me.

The initial visit was $150 cash and he gave me a prescription for 28- 8mg tablets and another appointment for two weeks from then. He told me to take a total of 16mg once a day, so two tablets. I took the tablets for the two weeks and just went back to him the other day.

The second visit, 2 weeks after.. i payed $75 for the visit, which isn't too bad. That will be the price i will have to pay him for now on, per visit. He told me that he wants to lean me off as slow as possible. He told me that he will lean me off 1mg every two weeks. So now i am taking 15mg a day. Which is 1 and 1/2 8mg tablets, and 1 and 1/2 2mg tablets.

I don't mind that he is doing it this way, but it seems a little sketchy. I don't want to be on it for a year, and i don't want to spend $2.000 on visits and prescriptions for the next year.

Does it sound like he is trying to get the maximum amount of money from me or does that sound legit? How did everyone else get leaned off? How many mg's where you prescribed? I mean i only had an addiction for about a year and a half, and i wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the help- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

anyone got any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

can someone at least tell me how much they are getting leaned off of it? please

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: correct dose of mgs.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

With my first doctor I payed $125.00 a month for visits. My second doctor I pay $75.00 every month. Cost of clinic visits depends on where you live.
My understanding is that most doctors keep you on the same stable dose for a few months, but every doctor is different.
At higher doses you can usually drop 4mg at a time without much if any problems. Its only when you get down to 2mgs. that you really need to slow the taper. I've heard people can take months to go from 2mgs. to 0 mgs. So you can drop from 12mgs. to 8mgs. without any problems.
I believe most sub doctors really care about people and are not in sub treatment for the money. If your not happy with the cost of clinic visits or the way your doctor is managing your care, call around and check out other clinics.
My experience has been that long term treatment is more successful for opiate addiction. But everyone is different.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so i am at 15mg right now, how much should i lean down to when i go back to my doctor in a week? I am thinking i want him to bring me down to 12mg, then 10mg, then 8mg.. ect., 2mg intervals sounds a little more reasonable than 1mg intervals. And it will be a lot less money out of my pocket as well. Does this sound like a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

sobrulez wrote:
so i am at 15mg right now, how much should i lean down to when i go back to my doctor in a week? I am thinking i want him to bring me down to 12mg, then 10mg, then 8mg.. ect., 2mg intervals sounds a little more reasonable than 1mg intervals. And it will be a lot less money out of my pocket as well. Does this sound like a good idea?

That's going to be strictly a personal issue. I don't think a doc should be making that decision at all... You should be the one deciding how much and when to wean off. It does no good for him to force you when you're not ready. It has to be a decision that you make, or you're throwing your money away.