It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

HELLO ,
My name is Kevin and i am new to this website. I been on suboxone for the past year and became very depressed like i ised to be along time ago ... i have severe depression in my family and have suicides in my family as well . now i would never hurt myself but my suboxone doctor gave me a pescription of CITALOPRAM 10 MG to take with my suboxone to treat depression and anxiety... i was wondering if anyone knows any useful info or can provide me with help on this subject oin what i should do ... im not taking it until i talk with people .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have taken Sub with citalopram successfully, and I believe another member here is also taking both. I don't know of any reason they shouldn't be taken together. I am currently taking Sub with Lexapro, which is one of the isomers of citalopram. I find that it really helps my depression, so I would go ahead and take it if you are depressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also take Celexa with my suboxone, without any problems. In fact my suboxone doctor prescribed it for me. You're good to take the two together, in my non-medical opinion. I've also had great success with it treating my major depressive disorder. Feel better soon. And welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am new here and to suboxone- I take both no problem. Been on 40 mg of celexa for years and it definatly helps.

Post subject: FYI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:18 pm 

It is a fairly common theme to see depression amongst addicts and alcoholics. We used the wrong medication to treat our depression because it made us feel so very good. (for awhile anyway) So by getting on the correct medication for your symptoms makes sense to me.

The only thing is to find the one that works the best for you. It's a trial and error process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also take citalopram for my depression. Have been on it for quite a number of years ( I look at it like taking a vitamin tablet and have no intention on comeing off it at all) I have no problem with taking it now that I am also on suboxone - I have not experienced any negative side affects or interference with my depression since starting suboxone. So in my opinion taking citalopram alongside the suboxone is just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To what rule 62 said.

I totally agree and would say that is the main reason i started using opiates in the first place. I even use to justify my use of opiates and say to myself "Well Dr.'s are prescribing these anti depressants to people everyday and noone has a problem with it. Why cant i use Hydrocodone to treat my depression if it works? And honestly it did work and very well i was a very high functioning addict. Was good to my wife (except financial issues) although she loved me when i had my pills, good father to my two kids, excellent employee. Really the catalyst to me quitting was i kept increasing the amount i used and started running out of money to pay for them. I knew when i started buying my pills first and then paying bills with what i had left over i had to quit. So i am sure i have some issues to face here soon because my wife has never known me clean because i have been taking pills for 6 years and been married for 5. lol i joke but i hope she still likes me :shock:

sorry got kinda off topic on your post here but i am thinking of asking my dr. to put me on some anti-depressant and see how that goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm one of those rare ("special" lol) people who have had issues with antidepressants and suboxone. The anti-d's I was on were Effexor, Pristiq and Duloxetine (forget brand). All of them caused me to metabolise my suboxone rapidly. I'd burn through my dose within 4-6 hours. It was even worse while on Epilim as well. I'd burn through my dose even quicker. This nearly led to relapse.

Mind you, apparently for this to happen you need to be classed as an "ultra rapid metaboliser" (aka "special person"), which isn't too common. Something about the CYPD46 enzyme getting a bit too hyperactive.