It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taking Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have just started taking suboxone and having trouble with the absortion of it. It seems to take forever to disolve under the tongue and has a really bitter taste. I would be gratefull for any advise on how to make this easier since I really want this to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, suboxone does have a taste many people find unpleasant. I don't care for it myself, but I can say I've gotten used to it.

When it comes to absorption, you may have noticed there have been many threads here about maximum absorption (as well as on Dr. J's blog). The method Dr. J has spoken of includes chewing it with your front teeth and then spreading the "paste" all over your mucous membranes (inside of your cheeks, under the tongue, roof of your mouth, etc.). This method is much quicker than letting is sit under your tongue. However, it's been my experience that if you REALLY don't like the taste, you might like it even less using this method - I find I taste it much more doing it this way.

Personally, I just break the pill into 4 pieces and put them under my tongue. For me it dissolves pretty quickly. It's also good to keep the spit/juices in your mouth after it's dissolved as long as you can for maximum absorption. Then you can swallow or spit. After you've done this, don't eat or drink for about 15 minutes to allow whats on your mucous membranes to continue to absorb.

Another member stumbled upon a method that helps it to dissolve more quickly, too. That is, to rinse with salt water before you take your sub. That is supposed to work, too. Maybe that will help with the taste a bit, too?

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Booda,

I like the ideas hatmaker gave you I don't mind the taste at all and will have to try biting and speading it in different areas of my mouth and see how that works. I do the same thing as hatmaker and break it into 4's put it under my tongue and wait, but it takes awhile. I also have been meaning to try the salt water too{thanks for the reminder}.

I have also heard of putting 1/2 on each side of your cheek and gum, and waiting for it to disolve. Also I have heard that people put in under there tongue and put a mint in there mouth and takes away the taste.

Hope you are having a great weekend, good luck!