It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently made the switch to film. I'm wondering why the film needs to be placed either right or left under the tongue, or both sides if taking 2. Also states can't take a 3rd till first 2 are dissolved. Also mentions that strips are not to touch or overlap each other, and maybe that's the reason for not placing directly under center of tongue. I have noticed a couple of times the strips have actually gotten folded somehow under my tongue, basically causing an overlap. Does that cause less medicine getting into system?
Is anyone dissolving the strips to make paste and paint inside of mouth like some folks were doing with tablets? I'm assuming there is really no need to do the paste deal cause the strips are gone in 5 minutes in most cases.

One other question. My pharmacist tells me it's my choice if I want film or tablets when I bring him my script. Why are some folks being forced to take one or other when it is basically the same drug either way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi hdrider and welcome to the forum! :)

First off, I've never heard of a pharmacist being able to give you the tablets if the script says film, or vice versa. Now that doesn't mean they can't do that. I've just never heard of it happening.

The strips can dissolve anywhere in your mouth just like the tablets - any mucous membrane. The reason for keeping them away from each other is that they'll stick together and get all gummy and I believe will take longer to dissolve. I don't think, however, that it takes away from you getting the proper amount of medication though. Now all this said, know that I'm no doctor or other kind of medically trained professional.

And like you said, the films dissolve so quickly, in a matter of a couple of moments, that there's really no need to do the paste and paint thing like with the tablets - besides, it wouldn't really work with the film.

Some doctors are telling patients they don't have a choice but to switch to the films. That's just that doctor and maybe it's based on what their pharm rep is telling them. My doctor has allowed me to remain on the tablets.

Hope this helps and again, WELCOME.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I have been on strips for 3 months and in the beginning religously followed the directions. Now I have relaxed a bit more and have had instances of overlapping, folding up, etc. and they seem to work the same. I have placed them in my cheek and on top of my tongue and still seem to get good absorbtion. I think the company is just being cautious with there directions. As far as the pharmacist allowing you to choose, I would say that you have a kind non-judgemental pharmacist as do I. I think it also depends on how the script is written. If it just days suboxone, then I would think you would have your choice. If its written for suboxone tablets or suboxone films specifically, then I think the pharmacist has to dispense as written, of course this could always be changed by a call to your doctor. I have learned the strips are a lot more resilient than I first thought. I hope this helps!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker 510. I was wondering why you were welcoming to the forum until I noticed it shows that I just joined and have 1 post. I'm not exactly why it shows that as I have been a member for several years. I haven't been active the last year so maybe that's the reason. I have posted many times before.
I was having issues trying to log on as I had forgotten my username & password. That's a problem because if you click forgot password, you still can't retrieve one without knowing username. I fooled around for a couple days with no luck, and then all of a sudden I received an email with my username & password, so all is well again.

Thanks for the replies hatmaker and breezy Ann. My Dr. simply writes suboxone on script so that is probably why I have a choice. So far I like the film way, way better than the tablets. Taste worse, but completely dissolve in less than 10 minutes, and for me it seems like the film is helping a little more with my neck pain from degenerative disk disease. They simply seem to be a tad more potent.
Now, what ever happened with all the hype that generic was just around the corner, lol? I heard talk of generic being only a couple months from reality back in 2009.