It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been on suboxone(16mg a day) for going on 6 months, everything is going great, haven't once relapsed, but sadly my teeth are shit. Im having the worst tooth pain, and getting work off and getting a dentist appointment is gonna take some time... I figured id just live with it, take tylenol and ibuprofen(but thats barely touching the pain)... But i just read a recent blog post by Dr. Junig, and he says he treats people with pain who are on bupe with oxycodone... I dont plan on taking it often or even that much(since i get piss tested), but the option to take my tooth pain away for a day or two until i can get into see a dentist would be great....

Im just wondering if i where to take 15mg once or twice while on my normal dosage of bupe, would that effect anything? and would it even work(pain wise)? if i kept dosing like normal(bupe) would i go into precipitated withdrawal?

Blog post im referring too: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/buprenorphi ... drocodone/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:34 am 

Good morning Dr Pepper..welcome..
When Dr junig post something,I sit up and pay attention. This pain relieve poxt has information most Drs do not know of.
I know I didnt till he posted it..
Ok, once we get past the "slippery slope " of sub/full agonst opiates (ie start using again possibly ), Pain management is now possible, and seemly safe.
Ive reread the post. As it says drop to 8mgs, then 15 mgs of Oxy every 4 hours..ive never done it myself, but if i needed to i would. Pain is pain, with bone and tooth pain near the top.imo.

Will you mess anything up? First off,I talk with your Sub dr is in order. If not, then ya, a secret like useing oxy will have consequences. Possibly losing your script..
PW s happen when A person takes Buprenorphine to soon when withdrawing from full agonst opiates. From what ive read here you will have plenty on sub left on your reseptors ..

Ya didnt ask me but imo, go get the teeth fixed asap..ya i known, easier said than done...Dr Js post i think gives us all hope thst pain relief Can be done. I feel better today knowing this than I did 3 years go...now if we can only convince our own drs...haha....best of luck dr pep!! And be careful......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to reiterate what Razor said. It can be done successfully, but ONLY with the approval of your sub doctor. Don't try to do this without his knowledge or it might bite you in the ass. It's just not worth the risk.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't underestimate ibuprofen for dental pain. You need to take 800 mg with is a prescription dose but can be obtained taking 4, 200 mg pills. Obviously you can't do this forever and have to be mindful of complications but this med often works the best for dental pain. Ofcourse removing the souce of the pain is best. What about a dental school? They will iften treat you at far less cost. Fixing the problem will work better than anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm 

Hello :)

I have a story similar to urs but I have a different suggestion for u. I had been on subs about a yr when I had to have my bottom bk tooth pulled. I had never had a cavity before so when I felt this pain wow I thought I was dying. I cried and took ibuprofen and cried and used ambesol...same thing over and over and didn't even eat. So what I did was call tons on dentists and made appt with em all and then picked the one who could get me in first. When I went they gave me penicillin and ibuprofen and told me to take it all and come bk in a week. By the next day I felt 100% better from the antibiotic. It worked better than any pain medicine. Maybe u can find some of that before u start thinking about pain meds with ur sub. Its worth a shot. I know urs may not be infected like mine was but there's a very good chance it is. So I finally had this monster pulled and I even had partial bone exposure, had to have stitches and everything. I still chose to only do ibuprofen. So there are ways to do it without pain meds. My Dr isn't as understanding as Dr J, so urs may not be either and u don't wanna do anything to get kicked out. Trust me I know ur in pain, I'd rather been in labor than the pain I felt before I took the penicillin. I truly hope u feel better and I'm so sorry ur having to deal with this. It seems us addicts never get a break. Please let us know how u do :)