It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's finally starting to get cold here in Alabama. And I am feeling more and more pain the colder it gets. A few people commented on a previous thread about chronic pain, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and not abusing my Suboxone. Is it ok to take extra Suboxone a few times a week? I am prescribed 16 mg a day. I take 12 mg a day. But I've noticed that when I'm hurting and I take 16 mg I fell much better. Taking the dose up and down like that, is that ok. I mean as long as I stay at or below 16 mg you'd think it would be ok. I'm not trying to taper or anything right now. I am just happy with taking 12 mg and sticking with that. By the way, the clinic I have been attending found a new Dr. so I'm going to be ok as far as that goes. I found out just a few hours ago. My Dr. called me on a Sunday evening at home to let me know. Anyway, IS it ok to do that as often as I do? I'll definitely ask my Dr. about this and let him know what I'm doing. It is going to be 3 weeks before I see the new replacement Dr. and would hate to call him and get started out on the wrong foot, if you know what I mean. I don't want him to think I'm taking my meds just any old way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks you all, and thanks for being supportive when I thought I was loosing my Dr. -----Bamagirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 pm 

If you are in pain, it is OK to use your buprenorphine as a pain reliever. You need to take your dose and split it into four equal parts. Then take each fourth every 6 hours.

However, don't let it become a habit unless you have chronic pain. It's always in your best interest to dose once a day so that you don't become reliant on taking something as a reaction to not feeling good or happy, etc.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 pm 

I agree with Amy. Also Angie, if ur pain was controlled at 16mg, would u ever consider going bk to that dose now that ur doctor has a replacement and things are ok with that area now? Just something to think about. I don't have any pain issues so I don't really have the experience to advise ya in that situation. It does seem kinda risky though to not have a routine dose....like how sometimes u take extra and sometimes u don't. I think jumping around could get ya in a habit of reaching for extra anytime u wanted to, does that make sense lol? But like I said, I don't deal with pain so I don't know. Ur doing really well :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Amy and Jenn, but you've must have forgotten, The Dr. said it was ok for me to dose several times a day bc I AM taking Suboxone for the chronic pain as well as for addiction. Three times a day is what he recommended. As you know I'd dropped to 12. (or so I though) but the way it looks, I'm going to be taking 16 mg again. Or at least the days I have pain like yesterday and especially today. We had some people working on the outside of the house today and I had to do ALOT OF EXTRA WALKING. And I'm paying for it now. lol (my left foot and ankle is propped up and there is an ice pack on it.) I had to walk the dogs more today because they were barking at the workers. There were 9. My fur babies are used to just them and me being here around the house during the day. I walked the dogs away from the house and around our lake today 4 TIMES. I'm really sore tonight. Worse than last night. smh... I guess I was kind of asking yalls permission to take 16 on those days or what ever. I'll be glad to read what Michelle has to say about this because she HAS chronic pain. By the way, I'm taking just 3 doses a day, just 8 mgs on the last dose. 4 mg at 4 mg around lunch, and I'm taking my 8 mgs right now at 7:30. I'll be glad when it kicks in bc I'm hurting right now. And it does kick in, in less than 1 hour, I wont feel any pain. It works best for me when I take my largest dose at night. So far... So good... Thanks everybody for your wonderfully informative point of view. I love our classy forum. :wink: and everyone here. We rock yall!!! Peace- Bamagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking varied doses isn't going to harm you, so as long as your doc is OK with it, I don't see an issue.

The main question is whether the increase on some days is really doing something chemically, or rather if it is a placebo effect. I suppose it doesn't really matter; if it helps, it helps! But I saw a study a few weeks ago, and I wish I'd written down the reference... in the study they looked at chronic pain patients who were given instructions on what a 'placebo' is, and they were taught about the placebo effect. Then they were started in an 'open label study'-- which means they knew what they were getting. (in a closed-label study, one group gets the active drug and the other gets a placebo. In this study, one group took a placebo, and the other took nothing at all-- and the group getting a placebo KNEW it was a placebo).

The results? The group taking the placebo had a significant decrease in pain and increase in function. If I remember correctly, the measures of disability decreased by almost 30%(!)

We know that people getting placebos in closed-label studies do better when treated for depression and pain-- but the power of a placebo is really apparent when it works even in people who know it is a placebo!

That said, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking we have something entirely figured out, such as the mu-receptor effects of buprenorphine... but in reality, the actions of any medication are far more complicated in real life than on paper. So I'm not going to say your effect is all in your head-- because chronic pain is a very complicated issue. But from what I do know, I don't see any problem with what you are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Based on my experience with a few people I think it is ok what you are doing with a caveat. Do not exceed your daily prescribed dose. If 16 mg worked well yesterday, and I am really hurting terribly today then just this once I'll take an extra 1/2 strip. That can soon become the routine and before you know it you are taking three strips a day, and BAM,(or should I say BAMA) you will run out early.
Not a hypothetical, it has happened a few times. Takes a bit of discipline and extra visits to get it sorted and back on track.
If your routine is 12 mg a day, and occasionally take 16 you should be fine, and getting that nice buffer of extra films for when a crisis occurs. (weather, the delayed PA, emergency travel, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Suboxdoc and docm2. I've not exceeded 16 mg in a long while and actually feel well at 12 mg. I've only had 12 today and will not need any more. We have been very busy the past 3 days. I overexerted myself and got sore yesterday and the day before. Big mistake, but it happens a lot. I never went over the 16 mgs though. I actually have 20 Suboxone now built up for a rainy day or emergency. I hear loud and clear what your saying docm2. I'm watching my dose. And Suboxdoc, that is very interesting about the placebo effect. It could very well be. What ever it is, more or placebo, it's working very well. Thanks again yall. Bamagirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:57 pm 

Hi Bamagirl, So sorry it took me so long to respond...busy week! This has been my experience, I was prescribed tramadol and celebrex for osteoarthritis pain in my knees. I got into trouble with the tramadol and got hooked. I started on 24 mgs of suboxone, three 8mg strips per day. I cut myself down to two strips a day with the third only if I really needed it. A few months later I dropped to 12 mgs...three 4mg strips per day. I then went to two only taking the third when really needed for pain. A few months later I went to 4 2mg strips a day but only took three most days. I would take the fourth when I had extra pain or dental work. I am now at 4mgs a day but am prescribed 6mgs a day. Most days 4mgs is good. I take 2mgs in the am and 2mgs in the pm. I read so much that said less is more with suboxone and I have found this to be very true! I wish they made one mg strips so I could do my next drop without having to cut the strip. Believe it or not, something about cutting the strip makes me nervous! Suppose you don't get equal amounts? Suppose it loses its effectiveness once the packet is opened? I know, probably silly! Its just that I have done so well! I have no temptation to use! I have a whole bottle of trams here that I have not even thought about. Ok, maybe once or twice but then I thought...why? I feel great, why would I mess everything up and possibly bring on withdrawl symptoms only to have to start all over! Not worth it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Michelle, are you saying you get better PAIN RELIEF at 4-6 mgs a day than you did at 12 mgs? Thank you for posting that. I feel a lot better about everything now. I just can't figure out how this "less is more" thing works. But hey, if it works... Bamagirl