It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Quadracersteve, I know about clonodine. Last time I went to my sub doc she said she didn't want to give it to me cause my blood pressure was already on the low, low end of normal. She gives me a hard time that I take ativan at it is. (prescribed by another doctor) So your dr has no prob RXing you klonopin? Whenever I've discussed with her that I'm nauseous she gives me Phenegran or Zofran. I like phenegran because it makes me a little sleepy. Unfortunately I'm out of it now.

Just to clear things up.....yes I was trying to come off subs by the end of the yr. I'm going to St.Thomas for 10days, I leave 12/6. I wanted to be off by then. Since I'm down to 2mgs now and feeling w/ds (ya know the anxiety and not sleeping mostly, cold sweat have seem to subsided at this point) I don't want to stop taking it, I'm scared and I really don't think I can handle it. I also own a business. I'm the only employee, lol. So if I don't work, I don't make money. My job is physical so if I'm under the weather or coming off of subs, I can't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What if you extend your taper into the next year? You're at 2 mg, but you should ideally go much lower before you make the leap off it totally. Some people go all the way down to .125. Just remember, the slower, lower, and longer the taper, the less acute and post-acute withdrawals you should experience. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sorry to confuse. I sometimes forget and don't explain myself properly. The plan WAS (this summer) to stop taking sub by the time my trip came along. Now I am planning on staying on suboxone. I've been reading tons of info on here, have read the liquid taper etc. So I know all about getting your dose as superduper low as possible before stopping. For some reason though, some drs are having people jump off at 1 and 2 mgs which is way too high. I wish for tapering reasons they made suboxone in doses less than 2mgs. That's why I'm so happy about the film. You can cut them in pieces better than those teeny tiny 2mg tabs. Hat, do you think the film can be used the same as the tabs for liquid taper if you needed to go about tapering that way? My thinking is yes because it dissolves under your tongue the same way so it would dissolve in water the same way. Is that correct?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would theorize that if the film dissolves easily in water, then you could use it for the liquid taper just like the tablets. I don't see why it would be different, but I'm no doctor or chemist. Maybe someone else will come along with more information.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I get my Klonopin from my psych, who faxed over my paperwork to my Sub dr, (yes, it is a high dose, but anxiety is the reason I started using opiates in the first place). I'm 34 and have had real bad anxiety for 32 years of my life. I've been taking it for years and never once ran out early, so my guess is because I take it AS PRESCRIBED, my Sub dr. doesn't care. I also know what benzo w/drawal feels like off 180mg's/month so I refuse to run out early, (thank god pills were never my DOC). They drug test me when I pick up my Sub script, so I'm sure they can tell if my benzo level is all over the place, meaning I'm abusing my meds, which I'm not. I'm sure they've spoken to each other and my psych can tell the dr. how my behavior is/has been. As for Clonidine, you shouldn't take it unless you're detoxing OR have high BP. Once you start detoxing, your BP goes through the roof. Normally I don't take it, but as I'm detoxing, my BP #'s were in the high 130's over high 90's. Once on it, my #'s went down to the low 100's over mid 70's. Perfect. The only thing I do is get my BP checked a few times a week at my local pharmacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

downing2b,

I was wondering about your taper, well actaully more along the lines of your eventual quit date. Did you have any kind of new goal in mind? I would plead with you to take it real slow and let your brain/body adjust to every new dose. I got in such a hurry to stop I cheated through my taper and ended up jumping from a dose that I didn't really want to and I paid the price.

Just trying to keep an eye out for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I scared myself and now I don't have a plan. I know I don't ever want to "use" again but I just may have to stay on subs indefinitely. I'm not strong enough to tough out w/d symptoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm 
How long you been on sub? Do you not feel like the addiction has been address? If you fear relapsing then maybe your brain is not "healed" or you just not ready yet. I hear ya on the fear of using again. I was on sub for 4 yrs. I did feel very ready to be off of it but... I did also relapse after about 4 mo's so I guess I wasnt ready to be off sub or did my brain heal. The wd is long but not very intense... I wouldnt let fear guide your life... Maybe you should discuss this with your therapist/sub doc or sponsor..

Wish you luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey downing2b,

You do whatever works for you. It's the only way. If/when you are ready for a next step, you will be the very first to know...no one else can tell you when you're going to be ready.

So stop being scared and stay on sub as long as you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

downing2b wrote:
I scared myself and now I don't have a plan. I know I don't ever want to "use" again but I just may have to stay on subs indefinitely. I'm not strong enough to tough out w/d symptoms.

If you are going to stay on suboxone indefinitely and have no current plans to get off, I would suggest (based on your own statements in this thread) that YES, you should ask your doctor about increasing your dose.

As I have been told right here on this forum, by Dr. Junig, who owns and operates this site, there is really no point in being on suboxone if you are just barely staving off cravings and constantly in some kind of discomfort.

I experienced many of the same symptoms you have described here when, over a period of about 15 months, I tapered all the way from 16mg per day down to 1mg per day. Like you, my original plan was to eventually get off suboxone, but I soon realized (and I'm only referring to MYSELF here) that getting off suboxone was probably not in my best interests. At that point, I increased my dose back up to 8mg, and I have now tapered back down to 5mg and will likely end my taper at 4mg and just remain at that does indefinitely.

After talking to my sub doctor, my primary care physician and my gastroenterologist, I decided to stay on suboxone. Why not? I am comfortable, happy, well adjusted, and doing quite well on it. I see no reason to get off.

Post subject: AMOUNTS etc.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am with you, my only problem is my Doc is on this constant drive to lower doses. It don't matter to him, he tapers EVERYONE even if it's over a year or two. I am desperately trying to get a new doc (upstate N.Y.) because I am getting really nervous that he is gonna lower me again soon, & I will be uncomfortable. Any advise would be appreciated. thanks.

Post subject: Re: AMOUNTS etc.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

scottcat wrote:
I am with you, my only problem is my Doc is on this constant drive to lower doses. It don't matter to him, he tapers EVERYONE even if it's over a year or two. I am desperately trying to get a new doc (upstate N.Y.) because I am getting really nervous that he is gonna lower me again soon, & I will be uncomfortable. Any advise would be appreciated. thanks.

If your doctor is going to continue pushing you to lower your dose and you are not ready to lower your dose, then I would have a frank discussion with the doctor. If he's unwilling to change course, then just tell him you accept it, and continue searching for a new doctor. Hopefully you can find someone before this guy tapers you completely off.

I must say, I do not understand doctors who do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Letting your Dr. know you fear a relapse back to your DOC should also go a long way to getting him to ease up on you. He may still be under the assumption that you had a plan to quit too, but your plans have changed...let him know.