It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

can a person taking suboxone(8mg), take a dose of methadone(10), either later that day, or the next day w/out negative reactions..i've heard that a person can..i've also heard that methadone is stronger than suboxone..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Before I delve into your question, I'm curious, why do you want/need to take methadone while you're on suboxone?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im with Hat what is the meaning of your question?

Alsowhy does it matter which is stronger?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

a friend of mine ran out of her subs, and someone gave her some methadone..she asked me to look into this matter, if she can take meth after subs, as i'm on suboxone myself and she thought i'd know..that's why i'd like to know..but i think i found the answer..not TOTALLY CONTRAINDATED..will just lessen the effects of either one..i hope i responded correctly..i'm no non literate w/ this page..thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sub has a very long half life - on average 37 hours, so your friend doesn't really need to take anything tonight. Nor for that matter, probably needn't take anything tomorrow either. Methadone isn't necessarily stronger than suboxone, it really depends on the dose of each. I'd urge you/her to avoid mixing meds like that. She should make every effort to get back on her suboxone.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Taking Suboxone and Methadone at the same time would certainly, to any medical professional be considered contraindicated and dangerous to mix any CNS depressant, especially narcotics, with other drugs, even if they're both licit and prescribed.

Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone) does have a very long half-life, 24-72h approximately and a mean at around 37h.

Buprenorphine binds very strongly to mu-opioid receptors (MOR) and slowly disassociates from them not only causing a plateau or ceiling effect at doses higher than 32mg but, being a partial agonist only activates a receptor minimally and because of it's high-binding affinity blocks the effects of other opioids at therapeutic doses, in which case 8mg would be enough to definitively block the effects of the oral 10mg of methadone and 8mg of sublingual suboxone is approximately equivalent to 10-20mg of methadone, but because of the above properties won't be able to activate the MOR, unless extremely high doses are taken. Taking the methadone would be a waste of money and time, in my opinion.

Please consult with your health-care professional for further information if available. In the mean time employ safe practices.

Dr. I.