It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have made similar topics in the past questioning other sleep medications, but personally I feel like diphenhydramine works best. For the people who don’t know exactly what diphenhydramine is, it is sold under the brand names Unisom sleep gels, Sominex, Benadryl, and most store brand sleep aids. It is an anti-histamine compared to most prescription sleep aids that aren't and has many other uses. The only side effect I really have a problem with is the trouble waking up the following day and just wanting to sleep longer, but once I force myself to get up it usually takes 10 minutes for me to feel completely awake. I typically take close to 150mgs a night. The only problem is on the bottle it says to see a doctor if sleeplessness lasts for longer than two weeks. Although when I consulted my doctor about it, he said it was fine for me to take it but I’m not sure if he just said that to blow the question off or not.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is safe to do or not. Does anyone else take this multiple times weekly for extended periods of time? Having tried trazadone in the past, I am somewhat scared to take another prescription sleep aid because the side effects of it were AWFUL!!! I do realize that it does affect your brain differently than others, but there are still side effects of all meds. Thanks for your input in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know little about legitimately taking Unisom.

I can tell you though that in the UK and Australia Unisom is incredibly hard to buy over the counter now, because heroin addicts melt down the gel-caps and inject them with their heroin. Disgusting I know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been taking diphenhydramine once or twice a week for years, but I only take 50mg. I alternate it with doxylamine succinate (another form of Unisom, which seems to work the best for me), and herbal teas, hoping that my body won't get dependent on any one med. I also throw in a muscle relaxer once or twice a month. I try to not take anything on weekends, since that is when I can take a nap during the day if I don't sleep well on those nights.

They all seem to work pretty well still, even though I have been doing this for many years. Sometimes they don't work as well as other nights, and I wake up after 3 or 4 hours and stay up for the rest of the night. But for the most part, if I take any one of these, I usually sleep ok (6 or 7 hours).

I have been trying to go more nights/week without taking anything over the last year, since I was laid off and have been able to sleep during the day if I need to. I finally feel that my sleep is getting somewhat back to normal. But I just got a new job, so I make sure to take something by 8pm the nights before I have to go to work now, because I don't want to take the chance of not sleeping...or waiting too late to take something, and then being groggy the next day at work.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I forgot to tell you that my boyfriend takes 50mg Benadryl almost every day for allergies during the spring and summer months when it's windy and there's a lot of pollen in the air, because he works outside landscaping...and he takes it before work, and then sometimes again after lunch. I asked him if it makes him tired and he said no, not at all! I told him that's crazy because I take it to sleep.