It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Taking all 3 8's?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all. I have been on the "box' for approx 2 months, & do NOT always need to take the 3 8 mgs I am Rx'ed a day. I still find it tough to not get sleepy on 1 or 2 8's, however I have such a huge fear of running out, i DON'T ask for a decrease. Who knows if next week, (or month) my Doc. will decide he don't want to help Sub patients anymore? I just have always been a less is more guy, & less def. seems like more with this drug. Just my opinion. If anyone can relate, feel free to reply. Peace! - Scottcat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Scottcat,
I get far too sleepy and unporductive at 2 8's a day, so I'm on 1. I fought with my doc about it, she finally gave in, then when I got my refill I saw she prescribed me 2 8's a day anyway!! Grr. Here is my question. Why would you have a fear that your doc is leaving or will suddenly stop treating? Has he ever lead you to believe he would stop? Or is this fear of your own? Just curious...I would think that if he were to even want to, he'd have to go through steps before doing so. Sub isn't a drug one can just stop taking. And I'm sure he's got a lengthy clientele like most of them...I think you'll be ok, but if it's a concern come right out with it and ask him! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi scottcat -

I don't know how I missed this post when it showed up a week ago. Forgive me for not responding sooner.

I would say that you're not alone in taking less then prescribed. If I were you, though, I'd figure out the lowest, best dose and stick with it. If you feel best taking one 8 mg in the morning, then just take 8 mg. It's also not uncommon to sort of build up a reserve of extra sub to have, "just in case". I know I do it myself and I know others who do it as well.

I was prescribed 3 8mg pills per day (I take it for pain). Eventually I stopped taking that third pill most days. After I determined that I was indeed OK taking only two per day, I informed my doctor. So instead of prescribing 90 every month he now gives me only 75. I'm just trying to illustrate how I figured out the dose I did best on myself, made darn sure that I was comfortable with that, and then after a couple months I informed my doctor.

Sometimes our doctors don't give us the best guidance on dosing as we would like and we're left to our own devices - Which is fine, but I would suggest at least informing your doctor of your decision. I just think it's always best when we're in recovery to be honest with our doctors.

Good luck...I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would say...DEFINITELY keep to the same dose on your script, and just take as much as you need to feel comfortable. The extras can be saved for a rainy day, it never hurts to have a few spare.
Good luck with your treatment, hope all stays well for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:59 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

HI Scottcat,
I have been on Suboxone for over 5 months now and am prescribed 24 mgs a day, but am not only taking 8 mgs a day. I love having a surplus and can't for the life of me understand why? Maybe it goes back to the days when I NEVER had an extra pill left at the end of the month? I don't know. But I do think it is a good idea to have a bit of a supply, because one never knows what is going to happen......

I also agree with the others that it is better to be honest with your doctor. BUT for the past three months I have been going to my doctor and can't tell her that I am now on 8 mgs... AGH..... This month I have decided to go in and say that I am taking 16mgs. Who knows, maybe next month I will tell her that I am really only on 8mgs a day! I truly hope so..... Anyway, hope this helps you....

Best of luck. FAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my first post. I am still trying to figure out the induction process but I already know three 8's is going to be too much. I hope at some point I can tell my doc but right now I have those same inclinations to save up some, even if only a half one a day for the first week. When I stopped methadone I had about 400 10mg pills saved up. Normally I wouldn't post this soon on a new to me forum but a couple of comments were made about the suboxone making you sleepy. Is this common? I am on day 4 and have slept a total of 9 hours. Did anyone else have a sleep problem at first. Other than that it's been a lot better than what I was doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi new sub and welcome to the forum.

Some people have trouble sleeping with sub, while some it makes sleepy. Do you take it in the evening or at night? You might try sticking to taking it in the morning - once per day - that might help you. Give yourself a few more days to stabilize.

Again, welcome and when you're ready maybe you can do an introduction post and tell us more about yourself. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with SneakyElephant.

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

not taking a steady dose isnt good. good be experiencing withdrawal symptoms and all treatments state to stay on a steady dose. 2nd. if you have a good dr. you should know by know he isnt just going to quit his day job, leaving patience's behind like this would leave everyone single one to relapse ( or a just some ) there dr is this support group, their backbone. but i understand i had that same feeling / idea , going through my head. if it helps, there are plenty of other subs drs, that would give u a quick supply if that would ever happen ( it wont ) :) find a dose that works, and try to keep at it. to me i can't fluctuate like that. you dont need a DR. to tell you what dose you actually need, you find after time and time on the subs you can figure it out for yourself. dosent require a PHD!. just be careful of going into withdrawals.