It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there folks,

I must be the rare one of the bunch around this great world of ours that has had this adverse side effect while using suboxone and actually it was only certain brands of it. Ok, I have been prescribed suboxone for the past 10 months and the first 5 months I was prescribed the generic orange stop sign shaped tablets with the 8N on one side and what looked like a cross on the other and four months after those I was prescribed white tablets with a 155 on one side and a D with two slashes on the other side. With both tablets named, each time the first week of the month I would retain water in my feet up to my lower calves. I never brought this up to my Psych Dr. since this side effect would subside after 7-8 doses to start the month, nor was it causing any pain. The previous time leading up to me getting clean I would buy the suboxone here and there on the street when there were absolutely no opiate pills out there, and the 5-6 times I did buy them off a friend they were the strips and as much as I recall no foot swelling or water retention in the legs. Fast forward to just a few days ago, I have my monthly sit down with my awesome doctor, do my vitals, UA etc. talk about my NA Program (side note to all the new or younger recovering addicts out there, this medication alone will not keep you on the right track, it is literally an amazing pharmaceutical discovery yet, you WILL NEED to attend meetings either it be online or in person! Me personally I attend them personally three nights a week and run a group on Thursday nights bi-weekly! I cannot stress the support group/family and friends there to have you back enough! You cannot be a hermit or loner and think you will remain clean, because sometimes just sometimes you do need that family member or friend to kick ya right up the ass to set you back on track before you do something you know you will regret!") Then I go down the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, low and behold and no surprise being the VA (Veterans Administration) based hospital my script is changed again this time it is a new orange circular pill scorned with the AN415 mark. I must say though its the first time in the 10 months I have been on suboxone that I have had no water or swelling in the first few days I have used my suboxone!

It's a miracle! I personally do not know why the VA Hospital does not carry the sublingual strips, I got a letter back in April from the hospital's pharmacy stating they will be moving to the strips along with a picture of what the packaging looks like, yet it has never come to fruition. I do not know if it is cost or the overall doctors personal preference of what form of the medication they want us on. I have done research and see that a lot of people out there who may not even be prescribed suboxone are buying it on the street and injecting the strips after melting it down, which to be perfectly honest with all of you I don't see why people go through the steps and time it takes to prepare for an IV shot of drugs. Personally, I am not afraid of needles, but I know I sure as hell am not putting one in my arm, and with my past pill use the best part of the ritual was to wait those 15-30 minutes for that first warm rush to kick in from swallowing them normally. I always was under the assumption if you snort/shoot pills the potency would be there, but the affects would be not as long lasting as swallowing them. However, I just wanted to know if anyone of you guys had any swelling issues at all with your suboxone use, and thank you to Dr. Junig for creating this little section of the internet for all of us to gather local and abroad and discuss not only suboxone, but our reasons were here and success stories and slip ups as well. Take care everyone,

Best Wishes-
-Patrick K-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Peripheral edema has been reported and I have had a couple of patients with it. Support socks, lymphatic pumps, exercise and a low dose diuretic have kept it in check as they wanted to stay on the Suboxone.
Not all VA's are providing Suboxone, in any form. Our regional VA does not have a provider and no interest in supporting one. Veterans have to travel to another hospital to obtain care for ORT.
PAX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there Docm2,

That is sad about no local VA having access to any type of outpatient/suboxone treatment. There are a ton of veterans alone coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq that are hooked heavily not only on prescribed pain killers, but hardcore street drugs as well just to drown out the pain and scars leftover by war. I am forever grateful for the fact that I live by two major VA facilities one in Milwaukee and the one I attend the Great Lakes Naval Base in North Chicago. I was not in any way complaining about their medications and such, just was curious as to how I have had three different forms of suboxone in the past. I don't know if different pharmaceutical companies can bid on certain medical facilities and such, as I am not a medical professional nor, do not have extensive knowledge on the process of how pharmaceutical companies are allowed to stock their product at certain medical facilities and not others.

I did have a pair of tethose (spelling?) socks that worked greatly and the more I walked played basketball the more it would swell up yet after 7-8 days the swelling itself would go away. It never interfered or caused pain, just would be a bit rough getting my fat feet in my shoes :) But, with the new script of this month's subs I have not gotten any side effects so I will remain hopeful and keep my fingers crossed that they keep these suboxone stocked at the pharmacy.

take care and thanks for your suggestions! :)

have a great day!

Sincerely,
Patrick K. :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slap hand to forehand,
Patrick K,
I forgot the most important part,
thanks for your service!
PAX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Doc,

It is perfectly ok, honestly most vets do not look for the thanks, but it is well received and appreciated when we get it. Thank you so much and it was not only the best six years of my young adult life then, but my pleasure! Do you mind if I add you as a friend or contact on here? I think we can do that can we not? I am on here quite often, but usually go over newer members' posts to see if I can help them out and such. Granted I am only 10 months clean, but I recall how it was on Week 1, its an uncertain scary feeling :).

Take Care,
Patrick K- :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is a very old thread but I thought I would respond anyway. When I first started treatment on Soboxone I was in an inpatient treatment treatment facility. Many of the patients on Soboxone had severe leg swelling.... including me. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. They found out I had heart failure, which I know wasn't the Soboxone, but I could no longer stay on the Soboxone because of this side effect. It surprises me that this side effect isn't talked about more. Thinking back.... I think there were 6 patients who all had this happen to them. We were told this was normal and that it would go away.... so the patients just kept taking their Sub and walked around without shoes because they wouldn't fit. I'm glad my current doctor is allows me to be on Subutex instead.... Retaining that much water was so bad for me. My lungs were full of fluid and I couldn't breathe. It was super scary to see my legs that full of fluid, to not be able to breathe and then to be told that it's normal and would go away. I still resent the fact that I ended up in the hospital.... grrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am really glad I found this thread. I have been having swollen feet, ankles and legs for quite some time. It gets so bad some times that I have problem walking. I do have Congestive Heart Failure which can cause the edema (swelling) problem but the Doctors keep assuring me that with the result of my blood work that the swelling is not coming from the heart failure and they are puzzled as to why I have such swelling going on. I also have to sleep in a propped up position because it gets hard to breath sometimes. Perhaps my problem is coming from the suboxone. I am supposed to get fitting for compression socks.

Does anyone else have any swelling issues?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey fayth and MNB,

My half a penny... Any chance you could be checked out for lower extremity venous insufficiency? Reportedly, its a frequent cause of lower extremity peripheral edema. Its a simple bilateral leg ultrasound that checks the competency of 2 deep vein valves in each upper thigh. This test is often overlooked to order. Google Vascular Dr's in your area. Or ask your regular Drs to order one. Varicose veins are not required in order to have a venous insufficiency diagnosis. Best, P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:15 pm 

Thanks Pelican for that info! I do have swelling but I also have serious circulation issues in my legs. I was very upset this morning when it hit me as to how much it is limiting me. We are on vacation and my husband and I decided to go out for a bike ride. My legs were so stiff! I could hardly ride. I went two blocks and turned around. I am going to get out there again tomorrow but it was very disturbing to me. Now don't get me wrong, I have never been Miss physical fitness but to have this much trouble really bothered me. Pelican, what is the treatment for this issue? Is there more that can be done in addition to water pills?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I personally think is the Naloxone in the Soboxone. This is what my doctor told me. Every since I went on straight Bup I've never had leg swelling again. I know not everyone gets this side effect... but I very clearly remember everyone hobbling around in treatment and they were all on Soboxone. I know doctors sometimes push Soboxone over Subutex. My insurance didn't want to approve the Subutex. My doctor had to tell the insurance company that I have heart failure and that Soboxone has been known to cause water retention. My insurance approved my prior auth. If all your tests are normal... I would fight HARD to switch to straight Bup. I personally don't care if your swelling isn't due to your heart failure. With the Soboxone causing your retention you could have a relapse in your HF symptoms, end up with fluid in your lungs, unable to breathe and like me end up in an ICU unit because your heart had to work so heard to keep up. I'm passionate about this subject. It's not normal to retain that much water. It's exhausting too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:48 am 

I'm getting this mental picture of everyone hobbling down the halls or every door u pass patients are laying on their beds with pillows proped under there legs......I've never heard of that because of suboxone. Suboxone did this to most of the patients there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all...I'm new here but I can definitely relate to the swollen feet & ankle topic and I Hate it!

I used to retain lots & lots of fluid so bad it looked like a Ballon that could be popped, this was years ago in my 20's.
I went to endocrine Dr& was put on meds for diabetic but I am not, anyway the medz started to help the swelling but still retained too much fluid.
Last 3 years I found amazing endocrine Dr who diagnosed me insulin resistant, my pancreas wasn't working properly, put me a different med & presto NO MORE fat feet or water retention Anywhere, and lost 25 lbs looked and felt fabulous!!!

(side note I've been on 30mg oxycodone 5-6x daily for this whole time) I'll tell u why I went off my prescribed oxy later if anyone wants to know.

So now I'm on day 16 of sub, my feet/ankles swollen with pain in them. Belly is extended too. Told my sub Dr, he said call him in a week if still swollen he will try to get my insurance to approve sub strips.
I'm on tabs now 14mg but I only take 8mg. And this another long story.

Has anyone with the swelling problem noticed a difference if switched to strips instead of tabs or subutex instead of suboxone?

Thanks, hope everyone is well :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 am 

Good morning Always Blessed, I take the strips and have had the problem with swelling and stiffness in the morning when I first wake up. It usually goes away after a few hours of being awake and moving. I am not comfortable blaming this all on suboxone as I am going through menopause and it can be related to that as well. I have also been prescribed a water pill which helps tremendously! Good luck and please keep us informed as to how you are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Michelle,

Thank u for ur comment.
I am wondering if the medication I'm on for my insulin resistance mixed with sub is causing the swelling...gonna have to try &research that..would really stink if was the case....
As I think I mentioned I'm just starting sub as of 9/8 & still trying to figure out best dose.

Last night I took 2-3mg b4 bed at 11pm & have been feeling so so,(no wds, thank god) still some swelling in feet/ankles & belly is extended but over all feeling much better on lower dose!!
I'm going to dose again at 11pm another 2 or 3mg (my tablet cutting is not very precise lol)& hope side effects keep lessoning.
Hope u r doing well & swelling is more under control bc not only is it uncomfortable & painful it's embarrassing too :-( glad short season is over!

Hope to hear from u again soon.

P.s. I too am on water pill-Lasix20mg, pee'ed a lot today! Hope I see a big improvement SOON!
Take Care ♡
**wonder if subtex would Not cause swelling....due to the lack of Nox..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update on my side effecs;
Swelling is far less then it was yay!
But I'm still quite dizzy. it's 9am, I last dosed at 10pm last night, ???? Why is this still going on? The nausea usually hits 2 hours after I wake up.

Think I'll have to call sub Dr

Have a bleseed day everyone