It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Swollen ankles
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just went back on sub a week ago. Was on it 2 1/2 years before. My ankle used to swell (edema) when I took oxycontin. I never had this problem on the sub that I ever noticed. Both of my ankles are pretty swollen today. Anyone else have this problem?

Of note: I may have diabetes and may have rheumatoid arthritis but need to get bloodwork done in order to know for sure. But since on the suboxone only a week it seems likely related to that somehow. I haven't researched if the other conditions can cause this yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've noticed I get this issue also on sub. Off and on though. Not sure what is causing it, kinda afraid to see what could be. but if this keeps up I will have no other choice in the matter. Guess no one else has this really..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have the exact same problem!
I was on suboxone for about a year and a half, then found out I was pregnant and stopped (after given the OK by my MD because I had already tapered down to a VERY tiny dose, probably less than .5 mg before i got pregnant.)
Unfortunately, I never felt quite right after I got off of it. I kept telling myself to give it a few more weeks, but I continued to feel like I was in a constant state of moderate/mild withdrawal. After I had my daughter I found myself unable to stay away from suboxone and other opiates when suboxone wasn't available. I just wanted to feel normal.
ANWAY! I finally was able to get the financial help I needed to get back on suboxone about 4 weeks ago.
Suddenly, I am waking up in the morning with really swollen ankles and feet...??? I can't even wear my regular socks without them digging into my skin. I never had this problem when I was on suboxone before, and I have been on higher doses than I am now, which is about 4 mgs a day. I mean, my ankles and feet swelled when I was pregnant, but this is WAY worse.

I would love to find out a way to solve this problem...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

icstars_23@yahoo.com - this post is a year old and Jackcrack is still around. I remember when she posted this. I also recall that the swelling she was experiencing did go away, although I don't remember the specific time frame. I don't think it was that long though. What dose were you on before you stopped - the regular dose before you tapered down and what dose are you on now? Since you were off it for a bit, your tolerance may have gone down and you might not need as high a dose as you did before. Since I don't know the answers to those questions, I could be way off base, but I just wanted to mention it because it occurred to me and I have a vague notion that I may have heard this could be related to too high a dose for the person. I hope you can get some relief soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i was on about the same dose I am now, approx. 4 mg (half of a tablet then, half of a strip now). Although I have to admit that some days I get closer to 2/3 of an 8 mg strip. i try to take it early in the morning before i get out of bed for the day so that i can fall back asleep and get the best rate of absorbtion (no talking, swallowing, etc.). i would love to get some tips on how to get the most out of the dose i take, because i feel like the amount i actually absorb often varies. sometimes this leads to me wanting to take another small piece in the afternoon.
it is possible that i am on a higher dose than i should be. however, the edema is the only side effect that i am really experiencing... so if my dose it to high, i wouldn't think it's by too much.
i suppose i have to accept the cons with the pros. one thing is for sure, i am SO much happier and feel so much better now that i am back on suboxone... like myself again. and that kind of scares me. i am afraid that i will never be able to feel good without being on it. i mean, i was off it for almost an entire year, and still felt (more or less) like sh*t. if a year isn't long enough, how long does it take? i guess it varies from person to person.

thanks so much for your reply... i know mine was a bit late!

-meghan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would say chances are the swelling will go away soon. As for your dose, 4 mg is a pretty good dose. It's right around the ceiling. It's enough to saturate your receptors and should also KEEP them saturated which is what we should have. So going any lower and you risk having cravings. That said I'm no doctor or any other kind of medical professional, so please be aware of that. I'm just explaining what I know about dosing.

I just did a cursory Google search on edema and suboxone and couldn't find any studies or anything "official" or medical on the subject, just some forums. I take those with a grain of salt. If I were you I'd give it some time. If it doesn't subside in a couple of weeks I'd ask your doctor about it. S/he might be able to give you something - like a water pill (I think that's what they might use).

I know what you mean about feeling so good on suboxone. I've been on it for over 2 years and have never been off it in that time, so I don't know how I'd feel if I went off. I also take it for chronic pain, so I'll probably be on it for the long haul. So for me, I don't worry to much about the future. Plus I've spent a lot of time in individual therapy (psychoanalysis) working on improving my life and myself. I think that helps even more than the sub. I've finally been able to deal with past traumas that I feel had a part in causing me to want to numb my feeling with opiates in the first place. Now I can handle the normal ups and downs of daily life. So maybe, depending on what bothered you when you were off suboxone, you might want to consider something like therapy/counseling. If you can find the right therapist, you'll be amazed at the improvement you can get out of life from it.

For now don't worry too much about the future. Just work on your overall health of you and of your lifestyle. The better shape you and your life are in the more prepared you'll be to be successful when the time comes for you to be off suboxone.

I hope this helps. And I hope the swelling goes away on its own soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely agree. I have been going to therapists/psychologists/psychiatrists on and off since I was a little kid, and if you can find the right one they can be a tremendous help. It's something I really want/need to get back into soon.
I sincerely appreciate time and good perspective you have put into both of your responses. It's not easy to find people who understand the whole suboxone situation. I guess that's what this forum is here for, right? (:
Getting back on suboxone is something I did for myself, but even more so for my daughter. She is almost 8 months old now, and I refuse to let my problems affect her life if i can help it.
Thanks again for your help.

- Meghan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not familiar with the edema thing but as far as the year you were off Sub, I'm curious as to what exactly did not feel right? I'm tapering and looking to stop Sub. It's kinda freaky to think that I could be off it a whole year and still feel crappy. I know everyone's different, but you're not the first person I've heard say this, so I'm just wondering if you could clarify. Was it depression, lethargy, sweats?

Thnx

laddertipper