It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Switching Sub Doctors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I'm switching to a new Doc on Monday. I'm really feeling anxious and worried about it, having read some of the horror stories from other posters. I really liked my current sub Doc, but he doesnt take insurance, is a bit far of a drive, and doesn't believe in keeping patients on sub for longer than 6 months to a year. My money is kind of tight and I plan to stay on sub long term, so that's my reason for switching. Also I've only been on sub 2 months and was already going to have to taper from 16mg to 12, and don't feel ready. Tgis new doc takes my ins and according to his scheduling staff he believes in treating patients on a case by case basis regarding tapers and long term maintenance.

I'll be out of medication on Sunday so really nervous that I'll get there Monday and something will go wrong or something. It's probably all going to be fine and just getting caught up in my head, but can't help but project out on possible negative outcomes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

welcome. I am a long term sub user. It took me a long time to understand just how strong sub is. When I was on 12 mg I was hospitalized and knew that I would need major surgery. I did not take my sub for the six days that I was in the hospital waiting for surgery. I did not experience any withdrawal at all, due to the long half life of buprenrphine. I am trying to allay any fear that you have, that if you miss a dose or two, you will suffer horrible withdrawal symptoms. When I was ready to reduce my daily dose, the decrease from 16 to 12 to 8 was painless. Many other people who have tapered to 8 mg a day or so have been surprised that they actually felt better. I have had four sub doctors in my ten years on MAT. All RXed without hesitation. Good luck with your new doctor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you jeandianne, I think that was just what I needed to hear.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:41 pm 

I think it's great you're switching doctors. Since 2010, I'm on my 2nd Suboxone doctor because we moved out of state. Both of them took my insurance and my doctor now just let's me decide my dosage and just does his regular UA's & questions about my recovery program. I keep telling him to come here and see for himself but he keeps saying he's too busy. But he knows this forum is part of my recovery plan.

Good luck with this new one and I hope you save a lot of money by doing so. My Suboxone doctor is also my GP so he keeps track of my entire medical history.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Pan ,

I would say u are extremely lucky to find a doctor that takes your insurance and prescribes subs . I have called around and no one takes my insurance. The doctor I see does not take any insurance . So I pay out of pocket for every visit each month . Luckily my insurance does pay for my Suboxone 100% so I pay $0. Which helps balance out the $180 monthly visits . That being said it , is not even close to what i was paying for oxys. So I'll take the $180 any time.

I am sure your visit will go great . Plus I think it is important to see a doc that supports your belief in long term maintenance . My doctor supports long term sub use also . Which is great because I have no desire to ever be off my medication .

Let us know how your appointment goes . And if u can in the future . Save a dose or two so u can build up some extra medication so u don't run out . I always have a stock pile of extra subs just in case something goes wrong or my insurance take a while to cover . It has saved me many times to have this extra med stock pile . Plus I'm not so desperate when I'm at the pharmacy. There has been plenty of time I have gone to pick up my meds and they are out and have to order which take a day or two .

Good luck with your appt!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, I very much appreciate the positive encouragement. Unfortunately the appt did not go so well. I just need to vent this one for a minute. All I can say is what a fuck stick this doc was. He knows absolutely nothing about addiction. I told him my former Doc was planning to move me from 16mgs to 12mgs at this appt, and he told me instead I should cut my 2 8mg strips in half and dose 4 times per day and cut one of the mid day ones out when ready (not complaining about the extra subs cause now I definitely see the need to take your guys advice and start stockpiling extras, but isn't the whole point of once a day dosing to break the addict beahvior?).

Despite his staff telling me on the phone he treats patients on a case by case basis when I asked about long term maintenance, this is not the case. He said he doesn't allow patients to stay on more than a year and doesn't like to even do that long. He'a GP who just got certified to prescribe sub and clearly has no addiction background. He told me sub is a drug just like heroin and to him it's no different than prescribing oxycontin. He then continued to lecture me about how I'll never get my life together as long as I'm on sub and all sub doctors are evil and RB is just in it for the money (that's probably true), but he is such a great Doc because he doesn't just write a prescription and get me in and out but takes the time to tell me all this BS. Then he writes the prescription for only 2 weeks and expects me to go back every 2 weeks for refills (no consideration that my previous Doc did monthly, I go to meetings daily and am in IOP where I get piss tested and film counts weekly - so who's in it for the money?).

Then I get to the pharmacy after going all effing day without my meds and the dumbass college kid working there forgets to fill my script until I sit for a half hour and double check. Then they tell me that my insurance denied it and need a prior approval even though I've been on it the past 2 months and it's a tier 2 medication on their current formulary listing. So I wind up paying $173 using my $25 coupon (still trying to figure out the math on that one - WTF). Meanwhile I'm starting to get super fucking pissed and making a scene, and now I have to sort all this bullshit out tomorrow and try to get my money back, probably apologize to my pharmacist for being an ass, and now find a 3rd sub Doc who isn't a complete douchebag in my first couple months of trestment while hoping my insurance company doesn't look at it like I'm doctor shopping.

Ggrrrr....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:42 am 

Pan I think ur luck sounds a lot like mine lol :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Pan,

I am wondering how your situation is going? Have you found another better doctor? I am curious because I will need to switch doctors within the next 6 months as I am moving out of the country and worried about what will happen?

Thanks to the advice of the people on here I've been stockpiling my little pills for a rainy day.

Please tell me all is good?