It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wanted to start this thread and see if anyone else on hear is so sick of hearing people say this! I heard it at NA, I heard it from friends, even from a nurse at the hospital once and about a million times on other websites about addiction and recovery!

I cant tell you how many times ive heard or read this and it makes me so upset cause the people that say this 80% of the time have never taken suboxone 1 and 2 never even were addicted to narcotics but they think they know everything. Ill never for get one NA meeting were i heard one kid speak saying how suboxone ruined his life it was suppost to be this miracle drug but all it did was make him addicted to it and after he stop getting a buzz from takeing it under the tounge he would snort it????????? I wanted to stand up and scream at this kid how do you think suboxone ruined your life if you are still trying to get high! the whole point of suboxone is to allow your body to think you are getting the amount of opiates you need to stay out of withdrawl but at the same time it allows you to live a normal life with out being high 24 7. Then the one time at the hospital ill never for get. know how once in a while a college intern will follow around a dr or nurse and talk to you first b4 the real nurse comes in. well i had this younger girl come talk to me and asking me about what meds im on and what not and the last thing she ask is what suboxone and right when i was about to tell her what it is and why im on it the nurse came in so i didnt finish. anyways i was there cause i reinjured my knee and i think the nurse was thinking i wanted painkillers anyways. as she walks out the room the intern asks the nurse whats suboxone well the nurse didnt think i wouild hear her but she says oh its just another form of methadone for addicts to get high off of but say they are clean but really they just switched addictions from one thing to another.

the thing that sucks every time ive been to the hospital they have no idea what im talking about when i say im on suboxone but the one time a nurse or dr finally knows what it is this is what i heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Self Indulged IGNORANCE!! That's what happened to you at the hospital. So many health care professionals don't understand the first thing about addiction. They think it's as simple as making a choice. Well, it's not. Addiction is an insidious brain disorder.

Years ago when I would try to explain to my wife what my brain was having me do and why I did those things I would say, why would somebody in their right mind go down to the seediest area of town, risk getting shot or mugged to get their drugs. Wouldn't it be easier to stay at home and not do drugs? Yeah, it would be easier to stay home, so then why the hell do I risk my life and carry out these insane behaviors? I know I shouldn't do it, I know I may get arrested, I might get an ass whoopin', might end up dead...so again, why do I do it, why, why, why...is it a simple choice I'm making, if it's a choice then I'm not going downtown, it's way too dangerous...but here I am getting in my car going downtown. Why did I do it? My addiction would override my rational brain and make me go there. Once I finally started to understand this I had a fighting chance once in a while to stop it. Addiciton is like having a little alien in your head controlling you. He's pulling the levers, pushing the buttons and calling a lot of the shots. With time you can learn to shut the little SOB up and put him in his place, but he never goes completely away.

Post subject: Bboy/romeo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have to agree 100% with both you guys. I can't stand people wh say all your doing is changing one drug for another. The few times I heard it I could not control myself,now did not flip out but I defended myself and other people like us. The main thing I say is ok you are not and never have been a addict. Therefor you have no clue and you have no say and I don't give a shit what you think. Narcotic addiction is (as you guys know) a medical condition. The problem is most of the population thinks all drug addicts are bad people who steal and lie and we know that is bull shit. Unfortentily addicts like that are the ones who give us a bad name. I am not saying I a angel but I don't think I am a bad person and I have never hurt anyone but myself. Anyways. Yea I am with u bboy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: My experience
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as this topic goes, here's what happened to me.

Last week I managed to wrench my leg between my bed & electric scooter chair. The pain was really bad, I was bleeding and I had to go to the E.R. The nurse came in and said she would be taking care of me. After she asked me a few questions and drew my blood, I told her that I was on Suboxone. I said "Do you know what that is.?" and she said "Sure!" She explained Suboxone exactly what it's for, how it works and she was aware that I might be concerned with pain control since I had an injury. I was impressed. Through all of this, I was treated with kindness, respect and she was knowledgeable. Thank God.

The E.R. doctor also told me that he knew what Subs were and gave me a script for Ultram 200mg. Time released. He said they were o.k. to take with subs. I was hesitant but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I am a little better now and today was my monthly appointment with my Sub doctor. I told him about the emergency room and the Ultram. He said it was perfectly fine, in fact Ultram is used with Suboxone for chronic pain management. If itis not alright to take Ultram with subs, then I am really going to the wrong hospital & doctor.

Well, at least I had a good experience and so, so sorry that some of you have had bad experiences. You shouldn't have to go through that. Especially when you are trying to do something positive. But, maybe things are turning around. I sincerely hope they are. At least they are turning around at my hospital which by the way is Montefiore Medical Center in New York. I think they deserve a mention. Oh, and my sub doctor works for Montefiore as well as my counselor and Primary Care doctor. Guess it helps that they are all affiliated and that all my medical information is available to all of them on the computer.

Love, Queenie

Post subject: Re: My experience
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

queenie1959 wrote:
As far as this topic goes, here's what happened to me.

Last week I managed to wrench my leg between my bed & electric scooter chair. The pain was really bad, I was bleeding and I had to go to the E.R. The nurse came in and said she would be taking care of me. After she asked me a few questions and drew my blood, I told her that I was on Suboxone. I said "Do you know what that is.?" and she said "Sure!" She explained Suboxone exactly what it's for, how it works and she was aware that I might be concerned with pain control since I had an injury. I was impressed. Through all of this, I was treated with kindness, respect and she was knowledgeable. Thank God.

The E.R. doctor also told me that he knew what Subs were and gave me a script for Ultram 200mg. Time released. He said they were o.k. to take with subs. I was hesitant but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I am a little better now and today was my monthly appointment with my Sub doctor. I told him about the emergency room and the Ultram. He said it was perfectly fine, in fact Ultram is used with Suboxone for chronic pain management. If itis not alright to take Ultram with subs, then I am really going to the wrong hospital & doctor.

Well, at least I had a good experience and so, so sorry that some of you have had bad experiences. You shouldn't have to go through that. Especially when you are trying to do something positive. But, maybe things are turning around. I sincerely hope they are. At least they are turning around at my hospital which by the way is Montefiore Medical Center in New York. I think they deserve a mention. Oh, and my sub doctor works for Montefiore as well as my counselor and Primary Care doctor. Guess it helps that they are all affiliated and that all my medical information is available to all of them on the computer.

Love, Queenie

This is the stuff that gives me hope down the road that more and more ERs will understand what suboxone is! What is so upsetting is im asking these people for help but they have no idea what im talking about when i say im on this medication. so how can they help me if they dont know anything about it?

But glad you at least had a good ex at a ER queenie!

Yea rom this is something that is all to common it seems with medical proffesionals and addicts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, I'm with you. I'm sick and tired of people claiming we are trading one addiction for another. We get people on this forum who pop in (sometimes never to return) for the sole purpose to tell us that. Plus I hear about people on suboxone whose family constantly tell them they are trading one addiction for another. It's pure ignorance. I expect more from the medical community as they should be more educated about both about addiction as well as suboxone. But apparently their preconceived notions and biases take precedence over their actual education.

So yes, I'm tired of defending us and suboxone. We sure as hell shouldn't be the ones educating our doctors about a medication.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
Bboy, I'm with you. I'm sick and tired of people claiming we are trading one addiction for another. We get people on this forum who pop in (sometimes never to return) for the sole purpose to tell us that. Plus I hear about people on suboxone whose family constantly tell them they are trading one addiction for another. It's pure ignorance. I expect more from the medical community as they should be more educated about both about addiction as well as suboxone. But apparently their preconceived notions and biases take precedence over their actual education.

So yes, I'm tired of defending us and suboxone. We sure as hell shouldn't be the ones educating our doctors about a medication.

Yea for got that one family. Ive only heard this one time and it was in the heat of a argument. and that really hurt my fellings when this happen to think that someones parents would say this all the time is really scary but i have read a few post like that from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've never thought of my suboxone as an addiction. First off, I don't get any kind of high from it. Second, it's a pill I take on a daily basis- just like the pill I take for my thyroid or the pill my husband takes for high cholesterol. Those aren't addictions, they're prescriptions that keep us from getting sick, just like suboxone.

As for medical professionals and their lack of knowledge, I had a whole thing with a high-risk OB nurse giving me the third degree about buprenorphine and what it's for. The bottom line is that in this instance it was none of her business, it was between me and my doctor. I made sure my doctor knew I didn't appreciate her line of questioning, or her ignorance.

Taking suboxone is not the same as addiction. If anything, it's as close to a cure for addiction as you can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bupemom wrote:
I've never thought of my suboxone as an addiction. First off, I don't get any kind of high from it. Second, it's a pill I take on a daily basis- just like the pill I take for my thyroid or the pill my husband takes for high cholesterol. Those aren't addictions, they're prescriptions that keep us from getting sick, just like suboxone.

As for medical professionals and their lack of knowledge, I had a whole thing with a high-risk OB nurse giving me the third degree about buprenorphine and what it's for. The bottom line is that in this instance it was none of her business, it was between me and my doctor. I made sure my doctor knew I didn't appreciate her line of questioning, or her ignorance.

Taking suboxone is not the same as addiction. If anything, it's as close to a cure for addiction as you can get.

I def see were you are coming.

But for us its a everyday normal pill and doesnt get us high. But to someone has never taken suboxone and has a low tolerance to buprenorphine can get very high off suboxone from a tiny amount, most people dont know this out side of the suboxone users that buprenorphine IS A VERY VERY POWERFULL DRUG.

but i guess if you think about it those people call it a addiction cause of the simple fact that our body is dependant on this medication. it may not get us high but if we stop cold turkey we will go into serious withdrawl just like any other opioid so i do understand why people who dont know about suboxone call it a addiction no matter how mad it makes me.

Post subject: The difference
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is my opinion and mine only. Whatever responses this gets will not change the way I feel and I plan on sharing my own experience. I am not someone that is a family member or a hater of suboxone. I have taken subs for 19 months now. There was a time early in on sub when I would be rolling on the floor with you if you said something negative about suboxone. I believe it has really changed my life. But this of course is a Pro Suboxone website so if you disagree with anyone...... well you are going to get what you get......

I think suboxone is a great tool short term for people wanting to get off opiates. So many have said you don't lie, cheat or steal anymore because you take suboxone and go to therapy or 12 steps. Of course I haven't done that........my mu receptors are saturated with a very strong narcotic that keeps me from taking other narcotics. If I went to a doctor every month and he gave me all the opiates I wanted so I wouldn't have to steal or lie to get I wouldn't need suboxone........Instead I count my pills daily...I have to plan all my trips around going to the sub doctor to include work or vacation. I have to make sure I don't do any other drugs so I can pass my drug test so I can get my subs. I have to guard my sub like it is gold. I would do the same if it meant getting opiates......yeah he is still crazy your saying.

I work for a fortune 50 company.....if one of my employees fails a drug test for weed I bring them in. They tell me I am not addicted to marijuana I just have chronic pain and I am dependent on this to get me through. My options are to offer them treatment at the companies expense or term them......When they go to rehab do the treatment folks convince them they are dependent on weed or addicted to it.....? we do a great job of comparing this to diabetes or high blood pressure but really only on this site do we hold each others hands and talk about the disease concept in this way.

I can assure you if I told all my associates I am dependent on suboxone becauseI ahvea serious disease and they go home and look it up on google how many are going to come back to me and say I am really sorry about that disease you have and understand why you take that medicine........like those diabetics do.

Are we dependent or addicted to suboxone......? Well I have never gone to one ER where the doctor said because of your disease I am going to prescribe you this medicine that is like insulin if your a diabetic...it's called suboxone. We all know how AA/NA relate to suboxone and methadone........let's admit that too.. we know methadone is abused but some of us our better because we take suboxone not methadone......the difference???? My AA sponser..... I finally told him about my suboxone use and he chose to tell me to find a new sponser......but when I needed pain meds he told me that...that was between my doctor and me..

Think about it....your phone rings and it's your sub doctor's office is telling you that the doctor has died and know one else in the practice can prescribe suboxone. Your 2 days from your appointment......Are you going to find a doctor to get you in that fast......probably not. Once I was without sub for 4 days and truly could not stop the thought of wanting to kill myself....this never happened while on opiates...I wanted to check into a psych hospital.....Is this a medicine that we are dependent on...? What am I going to do....? What if I find out it is going to be 3 weeks before I see a sub doc? I know what happened after 4 days what will happen after 21 days. Will I be dead......in jail?

Dependent or addicted to suboxone........everyone has their opinion. Mine is I am unfortunately addicted to suboxone. I do not care that some of you don't like that or it makes you mad... it is what I believe. I am so afraid of what will happen if tomorrow my whole script is lost and my doctor does not write me a new one. I know if I go to an ER the doctor will not say "you are dependent on that medicine...let me write you a script"......NO I may get comfort meds and sent on my way..I am an addict after all. I am not a doctor...I am not easily swayed.......I hope I don't get kicked off the site as I consider this forum part of my recovery but this is my true feelings about dependent or addicted......

As I have been tapering over the last couple of months I am actually considering going to treatment to get off suboxone.....How many people go to treatment to get off insulin?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jim -

No one is going to kick you off the forum for respectfully sharing your opinion. I am sorry that you would even feel that might be a possibility. You are a valued member of this community and I'm sad knowing that you feel like you have to censor yourself. I know that we are not perfect and that there have been people who have gotten flamed for bashing Suboxone, but lately we (the mods) have really been trying to make the forum welcoming for a diversity of opinions and experiences. I'm always open to hearing feedback and if you (or anyone else) ever encounters a post that you think is problematic you can report it to me.

I think the points you bring up are totally valid. In fact, some of the issues you've raised were motivating factors in my decision to stop taking Suboxone. I didn't like the anxiety I experienced around the possibility of losing my Suboxone or losing my health coverage, I sometimes resented the fact that I couldn't smoke weed, I worried about what would happen if I got in a car accident or needed emergency surgery, and toward the end of my treatment I disliked the fact that I felt kind of shitty every morning until I got my dose.

These are all drawbacks to being on Suboxone - not to mention the tedious and uncomfortable process of tapering and stopping the medication. Some of these issues are just inherent to the medication, others have to do with societal attitudes toward addiction and toward opiate-replacement therapy. I think, for me personally, at the begining of my treatment I had been so sick and fucked up from abusing opiates that the trade off seemed more than fair. I thought I would stay on Suboxone for a really long time. As I got further into my treatment and progressed in my recovery, my thinking changed. I saw that life in recovery but not on Suboxone was a definite possibility for me, and I had to reevaluate whether it was worth putting up with the negative aspects of being on Sub for the long haul.

That said, my experience of Suboxone was qualitatively different than my experience of being addicted to my drug(s) of choice. My body was definitely dependent on the Suboxone, but mentally it was a vastly different experience.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

We all know that opiate (or indeed any other) addiction is SO MUCH MORE than just the drug of choice. There is a whole pattern of behavior, expectation of the high to come and RITUAL. How I remember spreading out and smoothing the foil, burning off the antioxidant coating, then tipping the bag of brown onto it and giving it that first run with the lighter flame.Our brains and bodies learn this and expect it each and every time we sit down to get blasted.
This is where Suboxone has its value: it gives the patient a chance to break this cycle and heal the body and mind. However, if the person is still looking to get high, no drug will 'cure' them. As for this attitude of 'swapping one drug for another', SO WHAT??? If it means the person can stay out of dangerous situations, not get ripped off, mugged or arrested, that's no bad thing. I really don't understand the attitudes of some people, do they want us to get better or not? Or do they just want something else to complain about, as if life isn't hard enough already?
Don't listen to the haters, do what is best for YOU! Peace and love to all, I'm out of here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Taking Suboxone or tapering down on the dosage amount is a move in the right direction, I believe some people are just so damned impatient, if your unhappy about Suboxone you should be tapering as we speak..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ReRaise, you "copied" and "pasted" my thoughts right onto this topic. Of course we're addicted. If someone was to stop giving us our Sub, we would go into w/drawals in just a couple days that would last for lord only knows how long. And talking about someone with diabeties, if they stop taking their insulin, they die, but we won't. We just want to die cause we're real sick, but that's all. No one is going to find us dead in our houses because we ran out of Suboxone, but w/out insulin, a diabetic would die. As for trading one addiction for another, I too don't care what other people think, but that is what we did. And in the heat of an arguement, my parents also said things about trading one drug for another, BUT I put them through sheer hell and they have every right to say what they did. After years of addiction and being a financial and emotional burden to them, they asked me when is it gonna be there time to live? BTY, my mother and father are 65 and 75 respectively. I'm sure none of our parents expected this as an outcome for their child that has grown up. I honestly gave my mother a nervous breakdown with a couple years at a psychologists office as a result, so of course she can get mad and say what she did. She is the one who found me O/D'd w/the needle still in my arm. Our addiction rubs off on everyone we come in contact with every day. Work included. And as for not everyone being liars, cheats, and people just ready and waiting for the opportunity to bamboosel someone, that may be true, but I personally have never met anyone like that. When you only bring home $650.00/week, but your habit is $300.00/day, how do you think I got the extra money? It sure wasn't because of my honesty. IMO, unless you were put on Suboxone/Subutex for pain, either one, OR even methadone, is suppose to give us time to deal with and fix the problems in our lives. Most of us have some underlying problem(s) that need work. That's the reason we got into this mess to begin with. Self-medication. I do believe we traded one addiction for another, just one with a lot less negative side-effects. Try not to forget, unless you were put on this med because of pain, we chose this route to get clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I respect what some of you are saying and if you choose to believe you traded one addiction for another, good for you. I don't believe I did. And interestingly enough, my husband, who was with me throughout my whole addiction and still is, doesn't think so either. He knows the before and after (current) me.

Like I said, I respect how you feel, but please, please don't say "we traded one addiction for another". I don't think such a blanket generalization is merited and I personally don't think it's up to you to decide such a thing for me.

And I'm not going to fall back on the fact that I also take it for pain. I took it for my addiction first, hoping to hell I could deal with the pain. As it turned out the sub does help my pain. But because I am also taking it for my addiction, I do think such blanket statements are being applied to me as well.

Please watch how you apply your feelings about yourself to others and their lives. A new member/guest/lurker could read that and choose not to go on suboxone because of those very words. And I wouldn't want to see someone who could benefit from suboxone not take advantage of it because of one statement that's directed at all people taking it for addiction, when in fact it's one person's feeling about themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In reading some of the comments it seems abundantly clear that some people don't understand the difference between addiction and dependence. It may seem trivial or a minor point to some but there is a huge difference between being addicted to a drug and having a physical dependence on that drug. If currently, while taking Suboxone, you:

- Take more than is prescribed
- Run out of Suboxone before you should
- Take the medication more frequently than prescribed
- Obtain the medication from more than one doctor or on the street
- Snort, shoot, "plug" or take the medication other than under the tongue/in the mouth
- Constantly watch the clock and think about when you can take your next dose
- Take extra doses in response to how you are feeling or something that happens during the day

If you do these things, then I agree with you - you likely are addicted to Suboxone and may well have traded Suboxone for the previous opiate you had been taking. If not, and if you simply would suffer uncomfortable physical symptoms after stopping Suboxone, then you are not addicted - you are physically dependant. There is a difference - a huge difference. When it comes to oxy or hydro or fentanyl or pretty much any other opiate, the above list applies to me because I am addicted to opiates. When it comes to Suboxone, the above list does not apply to me at all and that's because I'm not addicted to it - merely physically dependant. There is a different - a big, big, difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh wrote:
In reading some of the comments it seems abundantly clear that some people don't understand the difference between addiction and dependence. It may seem trivial or a minor point to some but there is a huge difference between being addicted to a drug and having a physical dependence on that drug. If currently, while taking Suboxone, you:

- Take more than is prescribed
- Run out of Suboxone before you should
- Take the medication more frequently than prescribed
- Obtain the medication from more than one doctor or on the street
- Snort, shoot, "plug" or take the medication other than under the tongue/in the mouth
- Constantly watch the clock and think about when you can take your next dose
- Take extra doses in response to how you are feeling or something that happens during the day

If you do these things, then I agree with you - you likely are addicted to Suboxone and may well have traded Suboxone for the previous opiate you had been taking. If not, and if you simply would suffer uncomfortable physical symptoms after stopping Suboxone, then you are not addicted - you are physically dependant. There is a difference - a huge difference. When it comes to oxy or hydro or fentanyl or pretty much any other opiate, the above list applies to me because I am addicted to opiates. When it comes to Suboxone, the above list does not apply to me at all and that's because I'm not addicted to it - merely physically dependant. There is a different - a big, big, difference.

Wow Dohn that post just gave me goose bumps! I will never look at this topic the same again after reading you post and I THANKYOU YOU SO MUCH.

You are so right being dependant on a medication is not the same as being addicted to a medication! All these years I would tell you it’s the same thing but no it is not in so many ways and you help me realize that. When I was addicted to oxycontin it had nothing to do with my pain even if I was getting prescribed it for pain. I was addicted to the ritual just as much as the high, the sucking the time release off then crushing the pill then poring it into a tiny piece of a napkin to parachute it then wait those first 30 mins so excited to fell the pill kick in. and I waited on this felling every day of my life for a good 4 years not counting the 3 years of buying pain killers off the street to just get high. Then when I would run out of my oxys early once in a while all I would do is put the people around me in danger and treated them like shit. Bringing heroin dealers into my gurls house or my parents house or when I was in withdrawal I was the meanest son of bitch you knew. And that’s what I call addiction. When you put the poeple you love in danger just to get your drugs is rock bottom for myself.

But once I got on suboxone I was free from all these feelings no more waiting on a high, no more waiting on drug dealers or pharmacies shit all the same in my eyes when I was using and most off all I was back to the person that I was raised to be! And there is no way I can ever pay back my mom or dad for what I put them through including my gf she went through a living hell to stay with me through all that she did. And when your in active addiction you don’t think about these things you only think of yourself and your next fix. But suboxone allows you to leave that life. In no way am I addicted to suboxone in my eyes do to the simple fact IT DOES NOT CONTROL MY LIFE. But yes my body is very very dependant on suboxone BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN MY MIND IS! And ill never fall back on oh suboxone is for my pain cause its for my recovery first.

But I will also say you can let suboxone become and addiction if you let it. When I read stuff like I guard my pills like gold to me that sounds like active addiction. Im not saying you are and addict but I am saying you are letting this med control your life. If you are out of addiction and have a clear mind frame then you should not lose your pills 1 2 you should not run out of pills. Yes mistakes happen but if you are sober and thinking clear these mistakes dont happen that much.

WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS YOU CAN LET SUBOXONE BECOME AN ADDICTION IF YOU LET IT BUT IF YOU ARE MORE FOCUSED ON YOUR RECOVERY THEN YOU WILL BE JUST FINE ON THIS MEDICATION?

Post subject: Here we go
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guard my suboxone like gold......acutally I keep it in a locked safe....per a suggestion from Dr. J. But that is addicted behavior???? Funny but I don't put my wallet in that same safe. I never leave in it my truck or my backpack when I go to work in case someone that was once like me goes thru it and finds it. Take away your suboxone tomorrow for 30 days and then post and let me know if you lied, cheated or stoled to get suboxone or any other opiates.

I have never made a blanket statement about people taking suboxone being addicted to it.......I shared my personal experience. As I have always previously posted.....this is the only medicine that I have never ran out of......except my first month when I was still in addictitive behaviors and believed more was better.

If someone is lurking on here or thinking about suboxone.......I should not share that 4 days without suboxone I had obessive thoughts of wanting to kill myself....massive panic attacks and thouht I should check into a hospital for fear I might hurt myself. I would think someone might want to know that.......I could be wrong but I read alot worse during my research on this medicine.

I am tapering to get off......I see many struggling to get off even when down to 1mg but I am going to try. It doesn't matter what people who are pro suboxone think.....they don't live with me, work with me or love me.

If this was the magic pill everyone wants to believe their would be more doctors out there prescirbing it....More doctors would take your inusrance. My PCP told me that he inquired about getting the data waiver......he is in a practice of 70 doctors........He was told no way are we going to have junkies in our waiting rooms..........unfortunately those junkies will just look like me cause I got plenty of opiates from those medical offices...

It doesn't matter what I say or you say......we all have our own opinion. What works for you is great and I will always support you. What I chose to believe after being on this drug for 19 months is my opinion and my life only.......I will never and have never said I was a suboxone hater....I am scared and I have decided I am going to try to get off. It doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong or what I am doing is wrong. Unfortunately Mel I am just not that important to convince people with one post that this is not the route you should take......

I am grateful for what suboxone has done for me. I am just now ready to move on and have shared why I made that decision....sorry if it upsets a few of you but this is my recovery........I didn't sign up to convince people to take suboxone I signed up for information and to share my experiences....

Jim

Post subject: Re: Here we go
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ReRaise wrote:
I guard my suboxone like gold......acutally I keep it in a locked safe....per a suggestion from Dr. J. But that is addicted behavior???? Funny but I don't put my wallet in that same safe. I never leave in it my truck or my backpack when I go to work in case someone that was once like me goes thru it and finds it. Take away your suboxone tomorrow for 30 days and then post and let me know if you lied, cheated or stoled to get suboxone or any other opiates.

I have never made a blanket statement about people taking suboxone being addicted to it.......I shared my personal experience. As I have always previously posted.....this is the only medicine that I have never ran out of......except my first month when I was still in addictitive behaviors and believed more was better.

If someone is lurking on here or thinking about suboxone.......I should not share that 4 days without suboxone I had obessive thoughts of wanting to kill myself....massive panic attacks and thouht I should check into a hospital for fear I might hurt myself. I would think someone might want to know that.......I could be wrong but I read alot worse during my research on this medicine.

I am tapering to get off......I see many struggling to get off even when down to 1mg but I am going to try. It doesn't matter what people who are pro suboxone think.....they don't live with me, work with me or love me.

If this was the magic pill everyone wants to believe their would be more doctors out there prescirbing it....More doctors would take your inusrance. My PCP told me that he inquired about getting the data waiver......he is in a practice of 70 doctors........He was told no way are we going to have junkies in our waiting rooms..........unfortunately those junkies will just look like me cause I got plenty of opiates from those medical offices...

It doesn't matter what I say or you say......we all have our own opinion. What works for you is great and I will always support you. What I chose to believe after being on this drug for 19 months is my opinion and my life only.......I will never and have never said I was a suboxone hater....I am scared and I have decided I am going to try to get off. It doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong or what I am doing is wrong. Unfortunately Mel I am just not that important to convince people with one post that this is not the route you should take......

I am grateful for what suboxone has done for me. I am just now ready to move on and have shared why I made that decision....sorry if it upsets a few of you but this is my recovery........I didn't sign up to convince people to take suboxone I signed up for information and to share my experiences....

Jim

Like I stated I do not think your a addict in any way because you do that!!!! What I meant is it seems if you go that far to protect your medication it sounds like it still has some form of controlling your life hence “sounds like active addiction”. But being 19 months clean I don’t think you are an addict and congratulate on that accomplishment.

I guess the main reason I said that in my post is cause from my experience in life with addiction if a person goes as far as locking a medication in a safe means that medication is controlling your life and that in my eyes in active addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ReRaise - I wasn't talking about anything you said. I was responding to this statement:

quadracersteve wrote:
I do believe we traded one addiction for another...
(Emphasis mine.)

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me and felt I was directly attacking you, because I wasn't attacking anyONE. I apologize if you or anyone else misunderstood me.

I also said I fully respect the opinions of those who think they are addicted to suboxone. I meant that. But my only point was don't apply it to me.

If you want to taper off suboxone, I say good for you. Really, I mean that. Like any other person, I want you to be happy. That's a personal decision and you have to do what YOU HAVE TO DO. Again, I respect that. No one is calling you a suboxone-hater. If it no longer fits into your life then I understand that. It's not the suboxone that's done anything wrong, it's just how you feel about it. And that's a perfectly valid reason. How YOU feel is important. And that determination will only help you in the tapering process.