It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Switching to methadone?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is my story. I have chronic pain I have Scoliosis and kyphoscoliosis so after being on pain pills since I was 17 I started getting into buying perk 30s. I weigh 110 and 4 of those a day should have killed me. So at 21 I went to detox and got clean 2 weeks out of detox I felt the full pain I tried to ignore for years so I found an amazing doctor and he suggested suboxone. I had been on 8mg twice a day and it was great the pain was still there but I could function. At this time I was living in NC and Medicaid covers suboxone and the Dr visit so I was saying 6 bucks for 2 months of my meds and the visit. Then I moved to Florida nit knowing they do not cover it here. They cover my visit but not the meds so I've been taking one a day because I can't afford to buy but 5 pills at a time. I think it 400 for 60 8mg generic suboxone tablets. So I start using pain pills again after 2 years on sub and it was getting bad again so I went back on subs now I was told by my Dr that the insurance I am using will cover it if I filed a form well I've done it twice and was denied both times. I m going to see my Dr tomorrow. I might have to switch to methadone because my insurance will pay for it but I am kinda scared shitless to switch. Any advice would be great much love

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:16 pm 

Hi Karak, and sorry this is late in coming. I sure hope you didn't end up on methadone. That's a difficult drug to stop vs Suboxone. But if it helps, then so be it. Both Sub and Meth are opiate replacement drugs. Suboxone is the better choice due to the ceiling effect.

What I was going to suggest was to take smaller doses of the Suboxone. A lot of pain patients have said that smaller doses taken throughout the day worked better than one or two large ones.

Let us know what happened, okay? Welcome to the forum!

rule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply, this forum has helped me out a lot already. I didn't go see my Dr I have been sticking it out on suboxone waiting for my insurance to get back to me about my appeal. I do take small amounts through out the day that's the only way it helps my pain. Great tip though! I am going to call my Dr to see if the insurance has said anything but if not I am going to have to switch. I am very dedicated to not over use any med I take but I've heard if people on methadone over dosing on accident.. wish me luck and thanks again for the advice! This place is the bomb!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have so great news, my Dr said the insurance covered my suboxone. So now I don't have to switch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hey thats GREAT news. and glad its working for your pain.Sometimes things do work out for the best and congrats for just Staying on the sub all aloug. Man, ya just never know what those damn ins. companies will do...keep posting and good luck to ya........razor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My insurance wouldnt cover suboxone either. I was paying $120 for 14 a week, plus two $25 copays for the office visits. Not working, this was killing me. My insurance did however cover zubsolv, the newer formulation of suboxone. Its still buprenorphine/nalaxone, just that 5.7mg of zubsolv = 8mg suboxone. It dissolves really fast, and has menthol in it, tastes like a breath mint, much better. It was completly free with my insurance thankfully so possibly thats an option? Either way ive heard its cheaper, and for me worked much much better and felt stronger even though the dose is lower, I liked it a lot. I have since switched to methadone because subs stopped working for me completely which could be another option for you if worse comes to worse, its $50 a week for me since my insurance wont cover it which is much better than $170 a week for sub treatment. Good luck hope I could possibly be of some little help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:00 pm 

Desurion, welcome!

Do you have United Healthcare? They forced me to switch to Zubsolv too, but like you, I like it. The taste is much better! I had to go from a 2mg film per day to 1.5 Zubsolv tabs. That's a little increase but not too bad.

I hope you stick around! Thanks for the helpful info.

Amy