It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
I've been on Suboxone for approx. 11 months. I've been trying to taper for the last month and a half. I'm done to 4 mg per day. I called and talked to the Suboxone Dr. today and let her know I'm still trying to taper and need to go lower down in doses before jumping off. She suggested that I switch to Subutex that it's easier to taper and go off Subutex than Suboxone? Is this true? She also said if I do the taper right I shouldn't be really sick with withdrawls? Help!

Post subject: suboxone or subutex...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i am no expert, but subutex and suboxone are the same medication, which is buprenorphine...the only difference is that suboxone has naloxone in it where as subutex doesnt...but then again the naloxone isnt absorbed when taken sublingualy, so i see no reason why tapering off one would be any different than the other, buprenorphine is buprenorphine either way you look at it, but like i said, i'm no expert.
but i would be interested to know how you do or if i am wrong... :) good lucj to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Subutex comes in 0.4mg tablets (at least in the uk as well as 2mg & 8mg)
Am in opposite situation on subutex changin to suboxone reluctantly. I live in the UK and that seems to be the way things are goin now.
Dont really like the sound of naloxone being in my tablets even if its not absorbed.
also suboxone is in a lemon/lime flavour supposedly

:?:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In the US, buprenorphine (Buprenex) was (and AFAIK still is) only ever available as an injection in a 0.3mg dose (roughly equivalent to 10mg of parenteral morphine); Buprenex (the analgesic formulation) was never (and AFAIK still is not) approved by the FDA as a 0.4mg sublingual tablet, something which was standard in most other countries.

In the glory days of Internet pharmacies (say, 2000-2003), esp. those based in India and Asean countries, it was easy to buy packets of 100 buprenorphine 0.4mg sublingual tablets. I have to admit that as a relative opiate naif back then, a single 0.4mg tablet virtually knocked me on my butt; I recall trying to read a protocol analyzer at work and it taking all my concentration and extra coffee to avoid zoning out. Potent stuff indeed.

/FooBear

Post subject: stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unfortunately, I don't think any doctor can predict what any individuals experience will be coming off suboxone. Some seem to have no problem. Others, like me, who took it for 3 years, have been having a hellish withdrawal syndrome. What I do know is that easy or not, it is possible to get off suboxone with help and support from all around you.

deb