It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm 7 weeks pregnant!! My dr refuses to write my suboxone script that I've been on a year and a half!! I take 16 mg a day and they wrote me a script for methadone and said I need to find a high risk obgyn which I don't agree with either!! My dr is just fine!! I need to find someone who has switched and see what it's like because I'm really scared I'm gonna lose my baby!! Please help!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So many issues...

Methadone was the standard treatment for pregnancy and opioid dependence over the past 30 years. Over the past few years, the standard has broadened to include buprenorphine. I don't know what is going on with your doc--- if he/she is just scared to death of getting sued, or ignorant about how things are handled these days---- but there is no reason for you to worry about the pregnancy.

The conversion from buprenorphine to methadone is easy, unlike the conversion in the opposite direction. You can just start taking methadone, and as the buprenorphine leaves your body, the methadone will take over. Of course, methadone maintenance is more-strictly regulated than buprenorphine, so I assume you are going to a methadone treatment program (?)

It is illegal for individual docs to treat addiction using methadone. Methadone maintenance must be dispensed by a program registered with the state and Federal government, and there are strict limits on dosing, attendance, drug testing, etc. The program you use-- whether methadone or buprenorphine-- will affect your lifestyle, and may be more or less convenient... but the pregnancy will not be negatively impacted.

Good luck to you and your baby!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you!! And no the dr wrote me a prescription for the methodone!! I had to switch programs and find a dr outside of a treatment program for my suboxone and they refuse to give me subtex saying that methodone is safer! I hear horror stories of methodone and getting off of it but same for suboxone... This dr keeps drilling into my head that I'm a high risk now because of the suboxone and wants me to change obgyns!! It's so stupid but I don't know of another dr to go to for the suboxone seeing as it's so limited... Thank you so much for commenting!! I've been really freaking myself out!!